Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacksbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

What should the expected cost be to have a mechanic remove my 65 beetle engine and repair a leaking main seal?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

Jacksbug wrote:
What should the expected cost be to have a mechanic remove my 65 beetle engine and repair a leaking main seal?

OK, here's all what I had written down years ago, don't know the source:
engine R&R 1.5
crankshaft oil seal 1.0

So 2.5 flat rate hours. So at $100 per hour (depending on your area and shop) figure about $250.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

I would think Cusser's time estimate is a fair average but be aware most any reputable shop is going to want to diagnose your oil leak themselves and possibly give you a "preliminary estimate" of repairs. Yes that may include an engine R&R but the seal may or may not be the only fault.

Sure you can tell them you want the rear main seal replaced and some fly-by-nights might say they will but if your crank has too much end play, a groove worn in the flywheel, a crack in the case etc the seal alone may not fix your issue.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

What if it is the oil cooler seals?
I did have a flywheel with a groove in it once upon a time. Replacing the seal would not stop it from leaking.
Cusser is close on the estimate.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

When I replaced my own flywheel/crankshaft seal in my own 1971 in about 1981, I also threw in a new clutch disc. because mine was getting thin.

You should be proud that a shop would check this, rear transmission mounts, etc.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

I paid a shop to replace the leaking main seal, and it still leaked Rolling Eyes I paid a second shop to replace it again, and it still leaked. Sad

I had never removed or replaced the engine myself, but after doing a lot of research here and elsewhere online I decided to tackle the job myself. In addition to replacing the main seal, I also replaced the oil cooler seals, the engine compartment seals, and the clutch, installed a thermostat, measured the crankshaft endplay, and degreased everything while the engine was out.

Going slowly, it took me about an hour to remove the engine. Again, going slowly, it took me about an hour to reinstall the engine and connect everything. I did have trouble getting the input shaft lined up and started, so I called an experienced friend who came over and talked me through tilting, jiggling, raising, lowering, and pushing to complete the reinstallation process.

The best part of the story is that I’ve logged nearly 5,000 miles since, with no oil leaks Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

If I remember correctly at our VW dealership it cost the customer about 1 hr to install a reman engine, that included changing everything over to the new engine. So I would imagine a 1hr job for the competent mechanic to do a R&R engine and flywheel seal. Heck, on a 40hp it takes less than ten minutes to pull the engine!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Jacksbug wrote:

engine R&R 1.5
crankshaft oil seal 1.0

So 2.5 flat rate hours. So at $100 per hour (depending on your area and shop) figure about $250.

Very optimistic.

That's assuming they've done it hundreds of time.
That none of the hardware is rusted or broken.
That they don't bother to check endplay
That they don't inspect the clutch and replace

I'd give it 4 hours and hope they do it in less.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Jacksbug wrote:

engine R&R 1.5
crankshaft oil seal 1.0

Very optimistic.

It’s not possible to replace the main seal without removing the clutch, labor shouldn’t be any more to toss a new clutch in.

Be aware though, damn near anytime one of these cars are worked on, it’s gonna be a rabbit hole that snowballs into lots more time & money. “While the engine’s out” is a great time to do....

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

It’s not possible to replace the main seal without removing the clutch, labor shouldn’t be any more to toss a new clutch in.

Correct, but you have to inspect the old one and possibly resurface the flywheel.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

Always good to consider other work while the engine is out. That's a sign of a conscientious mechanic.

The unscrupulous ones will stay quiet, and laugh as you drive off, thinking, "Sucker! He'll be back soon!"
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Jacksbug wrote:

engine R&R 1.5
crankshaft oil seal 1.0

Very optimistic.

If you took 4 hrs to do a flywheel seal at a VW dealer one of two things would happen.
1. You would have a paycheck so small you'd be ashamed to go home, or two, and most likely you wouldn't have a job.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

Jacksbug wrote:

What part of Texas are you located?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

I have to agree if you are able to remove the engine and do the work yourself the outcome will be just like you like it.
Yes on the rabbit hole...as mentioned with engine out is the time to clean things up.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
If you took 4 hrs to do a flywheel seal at a VW dealer one of two things would happen.
1. You would have a paycheck so small you'd be ashamed to go home, or two, and most likely you wouldn't have a job.

How many VW dealers would do that job... NONE. In the past 15 years i've built 3 engines for the local dealership since they had no one who ever worked on a aircooled VW and didn't know where to get any parts for one.

And are you talking about a VW dealer in the 70s on a 6 year old car and not a 50 year old car?

What could make it take longer?
1) the barrel nuts holding the heater cables could be rusted and need to be fixed after.
2) the lower M10 studs could could br stripped or bent or both
3) it could of been converted to a dog house shroud and not captive nut put in on the upper left.. .so the bolt is missing.
4) Could have some of the wires such as coil, oil pressure, choke wires break.
5) The flywheel might need to be resurfaced
6) The throwout bearing could be broken
7) The TO cross shaft arms could be bent
Cool The engine to body seal could need to be replaced or is missing

9) Could be a performance engine with dual carbs and remote filter

Working on 50 year old cars, it ALWAYS takes longer than you think.

And all of this is assuming the person doing the job know what they're doing and has done it before.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Jacksbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

I'm in Fort Worth.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Helfen wrote:

How many VW dealers would do that job... NONE. In the past 15 years i've built 3 engines for the local dealership since they had no one who ever worked on a aircooled VW and didn't know where to get any parts for one.

And are you talking about a VW dealer in the 70s on a 6 year old car and not a 50 year old car?

1) the barrel nuts holding the heater cables could be rusted and need to be fixed after.
3) it could of been converted to a dog house shroud and not captive nut put in on the upper left.. .so the bolt is missing.

And all of this is assuming the person doing the job know what they're doing and has done it before.

Of course we are talking about dealers in 60's 70's on a car with 80, 100K on them. The flat rate manual doesn't care if the car has 1K or 200 K.
What dealer today works on VW's???---You don't call those water cooled things VW's do you?

A person who worked in the dealership was trained by VW so you can assume he knows what he's about otherwise he wouldn't be there.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Helfen wrote:

Of course we are talking about dealers in 60's 70's on a car with 80, 100K on them. The flat rate manual doesn't care if the car has 1K or 200 K.
What dealer today works on VW's???---You don't call those water cooled things VW's do you?

A person who worked in the dealership was trained by VW so you can assume he knows what he's about otherwise he wouldn't be there.

I've been working on VWs for 45 years and if there's nothing broken or rusted I can do it in 2 hours, if all you're doing is dropping the engine, removing the flywheel, replacing the seal and slamming it back together. But that's not how I work, I don't rush, I check of other stuff that needs to be done and inspect everything that can be.

If you bring it to a shop that doesn't work on ACVWs then it will take longer and hopefully it doesn't come back for a 2nd time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Helfen wrote:

I've been working on VWs for 45 years and if there's nothing broken or rusted I can do it in 2 hours, if all you're doing is dropping the engine, removing the flywheel, replacing the seal and slamming it back together. But that's not how I work, I don't rush, I check of other stuff that needs to be done and inspect everything that can be.

If you bring it to a shop that doesn't work on ACVWs then it will take longer and hopefully it doesn't come back for a 2nd time.

Before my buddy passed away, he used to do these type of jobs for people all the time. If he saw that the engine harness was even slighty crusty or hacked, he included replacing that as part of the engine pull. He would wait until the car was parked where it needed to be and the car owner was standing there. He would literally cut the nasty section off and just throw it on the ground and make some redneck comment to horrify them. Laughing There was always several donor OG harnesses in stock to repair it, he just never told them first.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacksbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: cost for removing a 65 beetle engine to repair main seal Reply with quote

Thanks to Cusser for the fine info and pricing. Just what I needed!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: