Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motorcycle engine in a bug?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stunt show at Disney World has cars that look like the ford focus running 1300 cc from motorcycles. It pushes those cars around very quickly.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HRVW wrote:
Smile Smile Someone mentioned a 2 cyl VW engine possibility.

As a VW shop owner back in 1979 I had many old parts laying in the scrap pile waiting for disposal. On a sat afternoon got the idea of the 2 cyl engine.

Welded up a couple crank journals, used rods, used bearings, two used pistons/cyls, two junk SP heads, warped engine case...assembled with new gskts from broken gskt sets. Used #1 and #3 on the case.

Sheet metal, SP intake manifold, old clutch and pressure plate and installed the engine into a 70 T1 bug.

Drove it down the fwy at 35 mph. Slow getting there due to the car weight but the combination might have worked in a small trike etc,

Never did try anything else over the yrs.
I had to do the 2-cyl thing during the 70's gas crunch, not enuf money to do a rebuild and drove it in a '64 body fot about 2 months until gas was easy to get, works well around town and to work. Gonna do another, only going 94's and some other ideas this time, just for fun and maybe this time check out gas mpgs and performance. VW mag covered just this thing around late '70's mag which ihave somewhere, a college out west class project, 2 diff vw's and a rear eng 4cyl(X-19??) Fiat.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one in a Geo Metro.....Nothing but AWESOME
http://youtu.be/gmmRh-YH72I

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a name Like Yamaducci (Yamaha-Ducati) I have to chime in and say that the OP was interested in a motorcycle engine in a bug; not the other way around. So why would you want to do that when the obvious problem would be the inherent issue of broken cranks. The car is much heavier than the intended use of that engine.
Sure, anything could be done for a price but why.
You can get a Smart car with a Hyabusa engine in it but the kit cost more than a brand new Smart car then you are still left with a cut up piece of junk that cost $30,000+.
There is a reason most people don't do it and that is because reality sets in. I guess it's fun to contemplate for a minute.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still dont under stand why??a well built 2332 will gt 40+mpg and have plenty of power.my wedgeport 2332duel 44's gets 35+mpg. if you just want a 2cyl bug looking car buy an old toyota publica. 2 cyl air cooled oposed.looks like a 4 door bug. slower than shit flowing up hill, but I have seen slower vw's.we had one when I was a kid.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if you went witha r1 or r6 motor with trannys somehow discected those motors only come alive at much higher rpm range.... in other words your car would be a total pig until 4500 if that... if it tops out at 12000 there might be a trade off.... but that would be almost unbearable for anykind of streetable vw

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mark tucker"]I still dont under stand why??a well built 2332 will gt 40+mpg and have plenty of power.my wedgeport 2332duel 44's gets 35+mpg. quote]

Care to prove the 35+/40+mpg 2332 numbers?

How did you manage to pull that kind of economy when Hot VW's, in conjunction with some talented engine builders, struggled to hit the mid-30's with a 1750cc engine?

Not calling anyone a fibber, but what is your 2332/transmission/car combination?

bnc
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, Break out the popcorn!
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle engine in a bug? Reply with quote

oicdn wrote:
How hard would it be to put a 1000cc motorcycle engine in a bug?

not difficult at all. you can slide the passenger seat back all the way and lay it on the floor. it would also fit on the back seat most likely, although you'll want to wrap it in a tarp to avoid soiling the upholstery.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="didget69"]
mark tucker wrote:
I still dont under stand why??a well built 2332 will gt 40+mpg and have plenty of power.my wedgeport 2332duel 44's gets 35+mpg. quote]

Care to prove the 35+/40+mpg 2332 numbers?

How did you manage to pull that kind of economy when Hot VW's, in conjunction with some talented engine builders, struggled to hit the mid-30's with a 1750cc engine?

Not calling anyone a fibber, but what is your 2332/transmission/car combination?

bnc
enough power to pull the car with out the motor knowing it is doing it. a fricken mag ??j?let me see if I go by mag std addtion of power for each snazzy part of the week I would probably be putting out some where in the neighborhood of 400 hp. and yes lets put something with little holes in it under the carb to make the motor suck harder to try to keep up with a yugo, hmm how much wasted power is in the extra sucking on the mag motor???just because somebody is selling snake oil dosent mean your snake needs oiling. trans 3.88 .89&.92 4th about the same, but the .92 is nicer to drive in town with the 19.5 wide by 33 tall mickeythompson street pro tires. the next set of tires were hoosier dirt track 16x 31.5 millage not much change the 33"tire was in reality a 32+" tire unless you aired it up real good (20 psi). if your motor spends all of it's time with the throttel WFO trying to keep up you need to fix it or have someone who know how to do it do it.
car has a 4.12 trans in it now with a 2028 wedgeport duell 44's 28" tire.still more than 33 mpg (by gps) with baha fenders hanging in the wind.go figure.
WTJT
bdkw1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle engine in a bug? Reply with quote

torsionbar wrote:
oicdn wrote:
How hard would it be to put a 1000cc motorcycle engine in a bug?

not difficult at all. you can slide the passenger seat back all the way and lay it on the floor. it would also fit on the back seat most likely, although you'll want to wrap it in a tarp to avoid soiling the upholstery.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

How do you get a Goldwing motor in a Dodge Neon rental car? Take off the back door of course.......... Twisted Evil
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
Ha, Break out the popcorn!

...I'm still waiting for a analytical response with validated proof... keep popping the popcorn. I'd say that it rocks that you have been able to pull-off what a number of VW engine building veterans have not been able to achieve. Who mentioned oiling snakes?

The bull is beginning to lift it's tail -

bnc
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southysuper wrote:
I would still like to find an adapter for a v2 to vw trans other than blackjack or Z cars.

Make your own adaptor...

bnc
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki 1100 mated to a T1 gearbox in back of a buggy - driver selects a forward gear on T1 box & shifts the bike 6 speed trans for driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXmH0JnH4_8

Yamaha R1 (1000cc) motor mated to VW T1 gearbox - installed in Bradley GT kitcar... driver here is shifting the VW T1 trans after selecting 1 gear on bike trans.

Bradley GT VW Bug with 150hp Yamaha YZFR-1 Engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9N-c-uPCNc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VJyRjfAMtM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SqnVU-dijA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbVyE5ZGj9k

Now - I'm not saying this is a good way to do an install, but here are 2 examples of folks that made something happen.

bnc
cmiller95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the engine out of this Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has the viper v10 Twisted Evil

My Rail Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427627

My Baja Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466974
Bewitched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In holland i once saw a buggy with i think was a Kawa ZZR1100cc engine on it.
Had some small tires(think 13 inchers)on it and went like hell with that engine.Dont know how it did on the freeway or so but sprinting off from trafficlights was a blast to see Laughing
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tstracy39"][quote="hotair65"][quote="Pelikan"]
tstracy39 wrote:
Here's the pic I was looking for:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Motto Guzzi, on all the BMW Rallies I have been on (I ride a Harley), where referred to as a BMW with a HARD ON Laughing I have seen a few Bemmers with VW motors tho at Daytona Bike Week. I think I was told by the people that had them that there as a kit for the conversion.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
aspirit5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see a motorcycle with a Vw beetle engine, it's so simple!
so far the only bike i did find that had this conversion, was made by one of the most Icon of the Cars and Motorcycle world.

Mister Von Dutch !!!

There is a link where you can find a bit more about it:

http://www.dwmsracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=214.0

Hope this Help you guy's.

Sebastien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: