Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex/Propane Install
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: propex/Propane Install Reply with quote

jmstu76 wrote:
hiwaycallin wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

This Riviera BVW-2 brand, floor-recessed, LPG-fired, warm-air heating system, was specifically designed for modest-sized campervan, such as the 1968~79 VW Type 2, as illustrated above.

The main advantage to this type of heater, is that it does not take up any space in the main passenger cabin or any of the storage lockers, which is the case, with the various types of blown-air heating system, such as the Propex branded units.

You know, I was wondering about that. Would it not be possible to mount a Propex on the undercarriage and flush mount the ducts in the floor? My '78 Canadian Westy has a BA6 (no longer functional) which is mounted under the bus and completely contained / protected by a metal belly pan. Couldn't I remove the BA6 and mount the Propex in its place? Heck, if I could do that I might even be able to tie in to the original ductwork to supply aux. heat to the cockpit. Eh?

I was wondering the same thing. Can a propex be mounted on the belly of the bus, or is it too delicate to the elements (and to costly to replace) that you want to keep it inside?

To the best of my knowledge, the Eberspacher BA6 petrol-fired, auxiliary heater, was fabricated from heavily-galvanised, heavy-gauge steel, but even these are known to rust. Crying or Very sad I suspect that the Propex LPG-fired unit, is fabricated from lightly painted, light-gauge mild steel, which would probably start to show signs of rusting within one or two seasons, if mounted beneath the floor. Anxious

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet a good sheet metal shop could whip up an enclosure box to protect it, sure would be nice to get it out of the way.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Skate
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this too. I also have belly pans. It would be great to mount this unit on the underside of the bus and run the air lines right to the old air vents. Very cool. Or should I say hot!!!!

AIRKEWLD
SBS NUMBER FOURTEEN 58.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a recent thread where a guy replaced his BA6 with a new Espar gas heater ... installed it under this bus in the same spot the BA6 used to sit.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=274169
notsobigkahuna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so many of us are getting these propex heaters, someone will figure out a way to get them underneath. it would be great to be able to direct the heat to the windshield or for cabin heat

kahuna in kanada
Mountain Minstrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about putting it in the engine bay opposite the battery?
04 Miata (Sold)

Desertbusman wrote:
Maintenance doesn't mean repairing it when it breaks. That's called repair.

miniman82 wrote:
Don't listen to him, people from Fresno are retarded. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: