Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which exhaust for easy valve adjustment and good performance
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, actually the thing shops is more valve adjusting friendly,
the s and s is a little more difficult,
For the s and s you either need a stubby or really long screwdriver.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: S and S vs Thing shop header Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Some people have complained about getting burnt by the s and s header I suppose any exhaust might burn you, if you get to close to it.

Mine sticks out, and my daughter has burned herself on it. I usually back into parking spaces. Embarassed
thingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it easier to get the muffler off though, since it is bolted to the header? TTS one is a pain because you have to unbolt it from the head AND undo the brace in the rear.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all that unbolting is not necessary, with either system, with a little ingenious manuevering
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I think all that unbolting is not necessary, with either system, with a little ingenious manuevering
Concur - with both the SS system and the Thing Shop split header. I've adjusted the valves with both systems installed and although it wasn't very easy to do, I got used to it. Sometimes, you can use a dime instead of a screwdriver. After a few adjustments, I bought some cheap angled screwdrivers which helped a lot.

The Tangerine system with chromoly push rods is a dream by comparison. No need for special screwdrivers, no need for feeler gauges.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! The Tangerine system, what is that?
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 4-2-1 merged system for a Type 4 engine.
http://www.tangerineracing.com/UprightConversionHeaders.htm
Top dollar stuff.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is nice, Reeeaaal Nice!
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my off road Thing I have Danish high performance heat exchange boxes that had custom flanges welded on to mate with a special Thing Kymco merged header with a Fat Boy muffler. This system creates zero valve adjustment clearance issues. The system was custom designed to mate with my high compression 1915 motor. This exhaust was designed by Jeff Bancroft who is no longer working with Kymco. While our order was being made, Kymco was broken into and Jeff's personal custom race motor and tools were stolen. This really hit Jeff hard. My exhaust was part of a group buy I put together. It was a logistical nightmare. Jeff left Kymco prior to the exhaust being built or shipped. So it took months to get the exhaust. When the exhaust was finallly built, they shipped me two left heat exchangers. So I shipped back both exchangers (more money) Then they shipped me heat exchangers that had the flanges welded at the reverse angle so they did not fit. Finally after numerous calls emails and returned items, a guy named Danny at Kymco did get my exhaust built and delivered. I would not deal with Kymco again. I still have not recovered from the hassle I went through to get my exhaust. Not to mention the hassle of getting the other exhaust systems in the group buy refunded or delivered. I am not sure if Kymco has reorganized and gotten better at delivering what they claim to have. But I will never deal with them again. Right now I do have a NEW, complete, original factory 1973 exhaust system that is powder coated black that is available. I am also building a Thing road car that will have a 1776 motor and I am unsure about the exhaust but am leaning toward this system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-THING-181-EURO-2...otohosting

Kymco does have an ad on Samba for their merged header at:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=500310

Hope this helps. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-THING-181-EURO-2...otohosting

Yeah, that Ebayer is also a member of the Samba Collective. I have bought tons of stuff from them. Here's His profile http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8155
and the ad http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=182538

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
thingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: ISPWest exhaust Reply with quote

Thanks K-Mann for all the info...and the warning. I do remember that fiasco, but I didn't realize it was THAT bad.
Does anyone have any input on the flow of that exhaust? The price certainly seems reasonable if the quality is good. The finished version looks nice, but I would be tempted to use the POR-15 hi-temp coating on the cheaper unfinished version...Especially since I have a pint of it in my garage that I was going to use on my Thing Shop exhaust.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the raw version and used the silver POR-15 exhaust paint which worked ok on the header (some peeling and some minor rust spots. But the mufler would have been better left raw. It is fine. The sound and performance of this exhaust system is excellent as is the quality of the unit. It is the best exhaust system I have used. I have used tons of the old school vw extractor units on smaller more standard performance engines. Years ago you could go to Midas or other muffler shops and they would build and install your system for under $100. They looked very much like this one:

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=389

I have run lots of these that connect with j tubes and have one on a mostly stock 1600 DP right now. Good tone ~ good performance. The muffler still hangs out waiting to burn your lower leg..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying the muffler would have been better left raw because the POR peeled off it?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if I had it to do again I would leave it raw. When the POR-15 peeled off it looked fine adn has no rust issues after a few years. Remember though I do live in high and dry Colorado and not the rust belt.
Michael B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI,
Just got off the phone with S&S and they said that they may? have one 1-3/8" left in stock but, not sure? 1-3/8" would be fine for a otherwize stock engine but not a 2275cc. Oh Well.....

Also talked to Danny @ Kymco and he said they don't have any 1-5/8" in stock right now but are waiting for some to come in. I sure could use an exhaust for my engine but looks like they are hard to find in stock. It could be a few weeks before Kymco get's any (1-5/8") in. I'm not sure about any of the other sizes.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: The last time I heard the phrase "Out of Stock" and Kymco in the same conversation it was many months nearly a year prior to any parts showing up. I have had terrific luck with Larry's Off road in Ohio. Great folks. http://www.larrysoffroad.com/item582919.ctlg

Their stuff is actually "in stock" and ships right out.
Michael B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
FYI: The last time I heard the phrase "Out of Stock" and Kymco in the same conversation it was many months nearly a year prior to any parts showing up. I have had terrific luck with Larry's Off road in Ohio. Great folks. http://www.larrysoffroad.com/item582919.ctlg

Their stuff is actually "in stock" and ships right out.

Great, but I check that link and it doesn't show any pictures and what it fits? I'm not in the market to just buy something because it's in stock, but would rather buy what's going to last and work best for my application.

Does anyone know of other sellers that have a good product that's in stock?

Thanks for the help Smile
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:

I bought mine from German Motor Works. If I recall the telling of the tale correctly, GMW had a bunch of these custom exhaust systems fabbed up, and I just happened to get the last one. It looks to me like a Kymco header and a couple of custom fabbed bits. Or maybe the whole thing can be had through Kymco.

Plenty of room for valve work. Exits through the bumper holes, although a bit of the manifold does protrude beyond the bumper. Louder than stock. When the motor was fresh it was obnoxiously loud. Now that the motor is broken in and running a bit quieter, its tolerably loud.

If there is enough interest in this exhaust system, I could probably get a few of these. As far as I know the shop that used to sell these no longer does. It is similar to an S&S system, but has smaller mufflers that allow for easier valve adjustments. To be worth the effort, there would have to be multiple systems ordered at once. It could be made in 1 3/8", 1 1/2", or possibly larger tubing if need be. If interested, PM me.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For something different for your Thing, check this header out:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=536793
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one above that looks like the smaller S&S but I wish they could tuck that merging section under the bumper. That is one of the hottest points on the exhaust and I have kids. I got rid of my S&S because of this as well. It seems that you could get this to fit under the bumper with a little more careful bending.

I also don't really get the "hard to adjust the valves" thing. I do mine with the Thing shop exhaust and it is not really that hard to do.

Craig
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: