Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which exhaust for easy valve adjustment and good performance
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking for a Kymco header and muffler for my Thing, after 3 mails at http://www.kymcovws.com/ and here in "Classifieds", I had never answer Confused
is anybody know where I can found this item ?

Many thanks,
Chris.

http://vwandco.wifeo.com/
Thing '73 IRS conversion
Eurovan VR6 LPG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bug-c wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a Kymco header and muffler for my Thing, after 3 mails at http://www.kymcovws.com/ and here in "Classifieds", I had never answer Confused
is anybody know where I can found this item ?

Many thanks,
Chris.

I checked out the Kymco website and had a lot of problems viewing images, and when I clicked on the exhaust section nothing came up. Kymco definitely needs to improve their online presence. I know it is a LOT more expensive for you than email, but have you tried calling? 1-949-642-1835. Too bad it's not a toll-free number.

From this thread, a couple of posts back...
kubelmann wrote:
FYI: The last time I heard the phrase "Out of Stock" and Kymco in the same conversation it was many months nearly a year prior to any parts showing up. I have had terrific luck with Larry's Off road in Ohio. Great folks. http://www.larrysoffroad.com/item582919.ctlg

Their stuff is actually "in stock" and ships right out.

No recent posts on them, but I didn't find any negative feedback in the buyers/sellers feedback forum.

Maybe you can find a similar exhaust system from another vendor that will return your emails?
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let me motor get "ice cold" before going anywhere near adjust the valves. I have been runing the "dansk" 74 exhaust from German Motorworks and I can cruise at 75 in traffic with no problems, 80-85 on a down hill grade. Somehow last summer I was in overdrive or something cause I got the THING going 85-90 going north into the Matanuska Valley for a car show and a run what ya brung. Some of it was on a slight uphill also, check the motor after the days events, pulled plugs and changed the oil and everything look fine.
I am running stock everything except not stock dist, no vacum
advance. Suprised the guy in the 65 Mustang to being passed by a
THING.
Anchorage, AK
Chris181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:
I checked out the Kymco website and had a lot of problems viewing images, and when I clicked on the exhaust section nothing came up. Kymco definitely needs to improve their online presence. I know it is a LOT more expensive for you than email, but have you tried calling ?

Yes, I check the website since two weeks, but no change.
it's easy for me to write but not to speak Embarassed especially with technic term.

Fun 181 wrote:
No recent posts on them, but I didn't find any negative feedback in the buyers/sellers feedback forum.

Maybe you can find a similar exhaust system from another vendor that will return your emails?

I will try it, thanks ! Wink
The Kymco header have a good clearence and good feedback, the "hide away" is not exactly the same because it's too low ...

http://vwandco.wifeo.com/
Thing '73 IRS conversion
Eurovan VR6 LPG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pimpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the most practical solution, but it will allow you to adjust the valves on both sides of the car without any issues. Run a Stinger (with or without a baffle).

Last edited by Pimpi on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stingers are hard on shins too!!!
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pimpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets put it this way. When I was 17 and in High School and I drove my 66 Bug thru the parking lot as everyone was getting out for lunch, everyone thought my bug was bad ass because it was so loud.

NOW, it is just a really annoying exhaust. All it is is a straight pipe. You can put a baffle down it which will actually makes it run better on a 1600, but it really is just an exhaust that says "look at me cops, I have an illegal exhaust". Luckily, I grew up, and now the moto is, the quieter, the better.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about finally pulling the trigger on the tri mil system so that I can get to the valves and still have the tailpipes exit through the bumper holes.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Hotdog-Muffler-VW-THI...-thing.htm

I heard this one is louder than the Thingshop exhaust I'm running now. I'm ok with some extra noise. What is throwing me off though is that air-cooled.net is saying they don't recommend the tri mil for stock "center mount carburetor" set ups like mine. Something about pre heat flanges not being effective...?

If you have the stock engine with a tri mill "hotdog" muffler, I would like to know if you ran into any issues with this. Thanks
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preheat on the Tri-mill is a complete after tbought and does a horrible job at heating the manifold. Proper manifold heat will make the car run much better but their are really no aftermarket exhausts on the market that put any focus on this issue. I had the Tri-mill and looks ok but I went back to stock until I find one that will work with center mount carbs.
Arkansauced
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there differences in quality between the empi tri-mill style exhaust and the actual tri-mill available on aircooled.net? May be a dumb question. The price difference isn't huge. Also, does anyone have experience with the ceramic coating that comes with the Tri-Mill? Does it last or am I better off buying Raw and having it coated locally?
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the stock style exhaust for the 74 Things sold by German Motorworks and MidAmerica ?? I asked in the exhaust thread...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, it's a very nice well built muffler but only for a stock size engine. The outlet pipes are only about 1" so to small for bigger engines
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: