Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sunbug or mybug
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulstergeki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: sunbug or mybug Reply with quote

Okay, i just got a 74 sunbug for parts, but i am considering finishing it up, and driving it instead of my 73. i believe the sunbug has less rust, good floorpans and heat channels (unlike the 73) but my 73 has a manual trans(which i like) the sunbug has an autoclutch(which would allow my wife to drive it) i know the 73 wiring is good, but i dont know about the 74, and my engine in the 73 has a generator, but i dont think the 74 has the regulator for a generator, so i would have to get an alternator. what do you guys think? between the two i have almost 2 complete cars minus an engine, which i dont have the money for, so i need to decide what to do and then sell the second car.
thanks for any opinions in advance
whutdidyousay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the exception of the autostick stuff I'd say to go for the switch, but I hear it can be difficult. and I understand that autosticks are extra moody and require some expensive or hard to find parts that go on the engine. I think I read somewhere (could be wrong) that you would have to add a clutch cable tube to the tunnel on the pan if you wanna do the swap. I would think the pedal cluster wouldn't pose much of a problem. plus why would you wanna let your wife drive it?.....lol Wink
Otherwise I think I'd try and use the best body and part out the rusty one... you can make more $$ that way if the parts are OK. ALOT more if the parts are really good.
Dunno about the generator thing, but getting the correct alternator shouldn't be too hard.
It's alot of work, but might give you a longer lasting car in the long run.
Good luck.
OOH! let's see some pics of your rides.

danke meine Freunde

I'm tryin to build a dream one piece at a time, just bear with me.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like autosticks. They're pretty straightforward and have good reliability.

You're leaving two important factors out of your decision. The Sun Bug is a special edition. This alone might swing it, but the clincher is the Sun Bug has a sunroof. That wins out in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with BB. I'd have no problem with an autostick matter of fact I've been half assed looking for one to use as a driver but a rust free '67 came to me instead.
Ulstergeki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sunroof is a moot point, they are both sunroofs, so thats kinda cool, they both need paint, so thats not really a big deal, i think if the electrical is okay in the sunbug, im gonna switch them, ill get some pictures taken today of them so you can see.
PopeSutek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

autostick is actually very easy to figure out, parts are easier to come by than most think and as far as I have seen just as reliable as anything else that is over 30 years old.

old DKP driver wrote:

Suck,Squeeze,Bang,Blow.. No Blow=No Go. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: