Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 vert top install - rear cable
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkullman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: 78 vert top install - rear cable Reply with quote

I have the cable on the rear part of the top threaded throught the top and then the hole in the lip on the body. I have the threaded ends of the cable through their respective holes on the inside of the car and nuts threaded just on to the beginning of the threads. I am having trouble getting the cable to sit in the lip all the way around the back of the car, so I can then tighten the cable up. Is there a trick? Is it better to do this with the top all the way down? Please help.
convertparts1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU HAVE TO 'HELP' THE CABLE IN THE GROOVE RELEASE THE TOP LOCKS SO NO TENSION IS ON THE TOP THEN USE A DULL PUTTY KNIFE AND A HAMMER AND TAP THE CABLE INTO THE GROOVE BEING CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE FABRIC DO THIS ALL THE WAY ALONG THE CABLE THIS SHOULD BE ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO PUT THE NUTS ON THE CABLE ENDS..I LEARNED THIS FROM CHUCK AT 'CHUCKS CONVERTIBLE PARTS' THEY HAVE A GOOD CONVERTIBLE PARTS CATALOG FOR THE SUPER BEETLES AND A LOT OF NO LONGER AVAILABLE PARTS THEIR WEB SITE IS WWW.CHUCKSCONVERTIBLEPARTS.COM..GIVE THEM A TRY..RICK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mkullman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: I am thick I guess Reply with quote

Surprised
The cable is much thiner than the groove --- I am not seeing how I have to force it in there - Maybe I should go look at another vert??? I should have paid more attention when disassembling (OK that was a year ago) but I am not sure how the cable is supposed to work--- What is it holding down. There seems to be two options. 1. there is a bunc of material all the way around, just under the thick part (has a cord inside?) that could be stuffed into the groove with the cable or 2. the thick cable part is stuffed in (this seems less likely). Again TIA for all help!!!!
convertparts1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: top cable Reply with quote

the cable pinches the top on to the car it will disappear into the fold of the top when it is tightened up if there is several layers of material you will have to trim some of the underneath layer of so the cable can pull up into the channel also pinching the top material onto the car..hope that is some help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mkullman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Got it Reply with quote

Thanks, bighitter2, for your help!!
Rob Timmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Help with cable Reply with quote

Hi, I found this post and was hoping you figured it out. I just tried for an hour trying to get the rear cable in. I first had the cable on top of the corded part of the top material with the top unlatched. Once I got the cable started I tried to close the top and coulded get it to latch, like the top was too short. I looked at my old top that I removed in spring and it looks like the cable was on the bottom of the corded part of the top pinching the extra material behind it. This may be better for me because of the shortness of the top but it doesn't realy hod the top itself very good where the cable comes through the body. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks Rob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my '79, the top was tight (if not putting any pressure on it, the top would stop several inches above the windshield frame when closing). It didn't take long for the tighness to give enough to make it work great and ended up being a clean, snug fit. That was a canvas top, by the way.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Rob Timmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Mine is canvas as well so I will put the cable on the top of the cording and go for it. I just hope when I go to cut the window it doesn't taer across the whole back asa I stick the razor through it. I can just see that happen to me. Thanks again, Rob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: