Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

General poll?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What conversion would most likely go for the most miles trouble free?
Subaru conversion
28%
 28%  [ 25 ]
bostig conversion
40%
 40%  [ 36 ]
VW I4 gas
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
VW I4 Diesel
23%
 23%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 89

allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: General poll? Reply with quote

Just curious what every ones opinions are of the different conversions for the the vanagon engine. Which do you think would go for the most trouble free miles.? I think we have just about all of the major conversion represented on this board.This hypothetical poll is assuming all engines are in the same state of repair and drove in a sensible fashion.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the Bostiq based on the qualifier of the most trouble free miles. I have no doubt the i4 diesel ENGINE will go for more miles, but I would have more confidence in the modern engine management system of the Bostig to get me from point A to point B on any given day.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea but, I've had no trouble so far (about 22,000 miles in the past year) with my Tiico, just drove it from NYC to Detroit yesterday. 660 miles got 22 (well 21.9) mpg at highway speeds of 70-75.

but I do love the vw diesel motors, I've never had a TDI or even a TD but the NA diesels (1.5,& 1.6) have always done real good for me. The caddy that I sold last year had gone over 275,000 miles and never had the head off. I've never been left stranded by a VW diesel. With proper maintenance I would say that VW diesel would probably go for the longest, but it might need more maintenance than the bostig.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP

Last edited by foodeater on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if there were 1/2 dozen on this board with enough miles on all these platforms to make a good comparison between them.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well any of these that you can log I would say between 5-15k on you are doing a lot better than most wasserboxers.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
I'd be surprised if there were 1/2 dozen on this board with enough miles on all these platforms to make a good comparison between them.

Thats why I didnt vote.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsierra123 wrote:
Well any of these that you can log I would say between 5-15k on you are doing a lot better than most wasserboxers.

The motor in my old syncro had 180,000 miles on it, before the headgaskets started to weep. I took care of those by crashing the van d'oh! .
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on nothing I would go Diesel. For the most part they are know for being robust and putting out lots of miles.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them.
What a shame that old wasser with 150,000 on it is a stinker POS.
Can I have your old engine?
The ability to vamp a stock block is with in our grasp___and stay a wasser.
F^&$ my I4 if I could build a 2.4 + wasser with common parts.
I draged my I4 verses my 1.9 Westy.
1.9 won off the block but the I4 caught up and smoked the 1.9. Only after the I4 hit 3600rpm, then the power curve runs best at 3800 to 4800. I tend to push 4200rpms to 6000rpms on a 3rd to 4th shift. Way high for the power curve.
Wassers torque much lower and with some balls I believe we could all "go stock" and not feel like you need to care who is trying to pass you.
__________And I'm a "I4 zealot" Think ______
I vote for the wasser.
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to vote for the 4 Banger Water pisser. Just think of all those retired VW engineers reading this and going "Silly Americans. 40 years of Design with these Volks doing such things!"
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The I4's have been around long enough, and of course the little diesel came in the car, so they've in some cases done a lot of miles, but you have to allow, at least, that even a middling wbx has logged more miles than any of the other conversions.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough call. If you look at it in terms of engine durability these are all tough, long lasting engines. The Subaru 2.5 is probably the most fragile of the bunch, but unless it is a Phase I, even they are fine.

I think you all know that I am a wasserboxer fan, and it is worth remembering that an 83-85 1.9 wbx will run up to 200K miles pushing a 3500 lb van with low gearing. The 2.1 has less durability because of the weak rod bolts, but even a 2.1 usually sees 160K before oil pressure problems set in. That's pretty good durability. I honestly don't think any of the other engines would last longer than a 1.9 wbx if they were installed in a Vanagon from Day 1.

The other factor to look at with conversions is the hardware: engine mount setup, exhaust system, wiring harness, cooling hoses. I think in this respect the only conversion that is really top notch is the Bostig Zetec conversion. Not only are all the components well designed, but these guys have shown commitment to continual refinement of their conversion. I'm a hard core VW, Audi, BMW driver outside of my Vanagons, and I am not at all into the idea of a Ford engine in a VW Van, but I am very impressed with the excellence of this conversion, both in terms of engineering and attention to detail. So for trouble free conversion experiences, I would place my vote with Bostig. In terms of hardware durability the stock wbx components are of course pretty good, also.

My $0.02

David
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Bloomquist (who's web site was what got me interested in the Subaru conversion) http://blabberon.com/convert.html has gotten 109K apparently trouble free miles on a EJ22 engine. He did have trouble with his first Subaru engine, (a hight milage one) right after he did the conversion, but the second one has been going strong since 2001.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have been clearer; I meant any of the other conversions in a Vanagon. Of course these other engines have done high miles in their original cars, and I have no doubt that in time they will do as well in the van. My point wasn't speculative, just an observation on where it stands today. I prefer not to speculate on the relative value of conversions. I say to each his own.

And by the way, nice to see you here, David.

foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the hardware for the VW I4 motors is pretty solid considering that the 50º set ups are using mostly if not all VW parts. there are plenty of high mileage diesel vanagons all over Europe. I dont have any worries about the hardware for the I-4 conversions.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget about the "trouble free" conversion process itself. Nobody comes close to Bostig in terms of providing a complete solution to repowering your van.

I have about 7,500 miles on my Bostig conversion now and haven't done anything to it except change the oil. I guess that is my definition of trouble free. This is the first time in my 11 years of Vanagon driving that I have ever clocked this many miles on my '85 Westfalia without some sort of minor engine issue causing me heartbreak and/or wallet fatigue. The little problems from a 23 year old fuel injection system were what caused me to look for an engine conversion in the first place.

Like most people I was initially on the fence about which conversion to pick as well, choosing Bostig over one of the Subaru swaps came down to a few key factors for me:

1) Affordable low mileage engines are plentiful. I paid $450.00 for my '03 Zetec with just under 10K miles. I don't see too many Subaru engines around with less than 75K these days for under a grand. Should I need parts in the future they will also be cheaper and more readily available.

2) Real engine management & a new purpose built wiring harness. Since electrical issues are the bane of many conversions, going all new was the obvious answer. In other words no weird diagnostic codes popping up all the time, no sporadic wiring issues from hacking into an old factory harness. The ability to reflash the engine tune for more power / better economy and alternative fuel (E85) is an added bonus.

3) Completeness of conversion kit: Everything you need to install the Zetec in your van is included in the kit. No need to track a bunch of little things down so you can complete your conversion. Just open the boxes, watch the videos and turn some wrenches.

4) Warranty & Service. Since Bostig designs everything in house they understand every part of the conversion process and stand behind their stuff. If something isn't right, they will take care of it no matter what it takes. The level of service that Jim and Brady provide is relatively unheard of these days. On the off chance that you should run into trouble with your conversion these guys will definitely have your back.

All of these considerations factor into what I would think of as the most "trouble free conversion". I am glad I went the Bostig route, I have nothing but the highest praise for the guys and their product.

Stepping off my soapbox,
Jay Brown
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with you on that post.
Broseph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it is bros,
I'll second everything Jay B said and add that my Bostig experience has also been quite righteous. I drove from the Frisco Bay to central New York 2 days after I finished the not so difficult job of installing the Zetec and have had no issues at all. The whole set up is just so dialed in. I cant see how anyone could disprove the statement that its the most simple, functional, reliable and available system of all the Vanagon conversion options. It has mostly brand spankin new components where it counts...in the wiring harness and digitals...plus all the stainless. The breakout box with the OBDII connection for diagnosis/fuel injection reflashing is awesome up in the captains chair, and also the P.A.T.S. security microchip key works great and keeps the girl safe from the bad guys. It wont fire up without that key in the box no matter what someone tries. The engine is a tough one and a runner too. It loves to rev. When I merge onto the highway I run each gear up to 5500-5800 rpm and that is actually a range the motor loves, right in its wheelhouse. The ECU rev limiter will let it run to 7200 I'm told by the guys at Bostig. I'm at 65-70 mph by the time the on ramp ends, even loaded down. As far as noise and vibration, its hardly there. The engine doesn't even visibly move when its idling. Then there's the sweet simplification of the cooling system and the ECU providing all means of engine protection...it wont let it keep running if an overheat situation happens or there is some sort of fluid loss of any kind. It's just some great peace of mind knowing that the ECU was custom built and programmed from new, sees everything and responds accordingly. I'm not Joe Mechanic either, more like Joe Marley, Bob's white, adopted son, and I had no trouble at all getting it in there and learning from the sage andf comprehensive advice and counsel of the Bostig guys as needed. They have an entire step-by-step video library that all customers access and use to put everything together, along with a very active web forum between all the conversion owners. I owe them many, many beers and slaps on the back for doing the best that can be done.

Squeeze it easy,
Broseph

[/i]
Crughy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any of the answer is "much' better than the other. I am pretty sure any of the conversions done right and given in a turn key kit (most conversions I know are done professionally) are as valuable, so I don't think there is much difference between them, regarding simplicity or anything, for the final client. I think now, if you are a wise costumer and go with the right person, you will have exactly what you pay for.

I love the diesel option for the mpg and torque, for such a heavy brick, plenty of sense. But you get what you pay for. it's costly.
The subaru is nice, especially for the DIY. "Bostig" does not offer that full range of options yet. (I know of their different kits, but I mean: say, you want to go zetec, you have to go Bostig, and go with one of their kits (more or less turn key: i.e from 60 to 100%). Subaru, you can go from 0 to 100% turn key. (I mean, installed and everything).

To me, Bostig and Subaru are quite worth the same, with the subie option being offered in more flavors of engine and readiness than the zetec (and hence costs).
The diesel is worth more and worth more money wise as well.

In the long term, all are somehow equal, I guess the diesel may have an advantage for the block longevity, but I am not even sure. As most diesel combos are somehow home brewed, I think the likeliness of failure from a modified/different than factory picked side component (pump, etc). is the same in the long term than a factory subie/zetec.
The subie advertises its high milage as well.
While the zetec advertises its low cost of replacement.
To me:no much difference in the long term.

The 1.8/2.0 I4 I don't know much about it. I think if it's that good, that simple, that inexpensive, why didn't it win the conversion battle already? It was the 1st one. And most people go for something different now. Maybe Tiico's loose reputation has something to do with it.

If it were me, I would pick any of the 3 other solutions with confidence. Zetec offers a nice and simple to understand product. The subie can do it too. The diesel, it's a vendor by vendor issue.
I would go diesel only with the right person. (and the right cost). and that's a hard to find combo.

JP

PS: I went subie. Diesel was my original first choice (it's a family thing).
But availability and cost made the subie a no brainer in my case.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I was going to convert, it'd be a one-off with a smallblock Chevy in there. So long!

But of the common conversions the Bostig would be my first choice. Too many advantages over the Suby, and besides, Ford is pretty heavily imbued with German heritage as well, so it's not too far down the block, and I'd reckon some of that informed the development of the Zetec. I mean, c'mon, did you think Ford's "world engine" was going to come out of their American shop? I could be wrong, haven't looked it up, but I kinda doubt it. Maybe someone will set me straight. Meanwhile, Jim and Brady have done a great job and the programmibility and fuel and boost flexibilty makes that the best overall platform, if'n you was to ax me.

I'm just a little invested in this other thing, which is just as much fun.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: