Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Mexican 1989 bay window bus camper Price: $8,500 Reply with quote

anyone any idea what it would take to import & register/title this legally?

Mexican 1989 bay window bus camper Price: $8,500
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1250292

Quote:
Mexican 1989 bay window bus camper Price: $8,500
We had our fun with this and are looking for something different to have fun with. For sale is a 1989 Mexican bay window camper bus that has been German owned since new. We have seen a few Mexican busses offered in the past for about 14K, but they have all been just standard transporters and not the very hard to find camper edition. This factory camper is know as the RUDOLPH conversion and the bus comes with all the dealer information and brochures for it as well as the original window sticker and documentation. The bus has only about 50,000 original miles (80,000 kilometers) and has just completed a cross country, coast to coast trip about a year ago. It should provide many, many years of trouble free traveling for the new owners and should be able to be driven anywhere without concern. We put a couple thousand miles on it in the last year and it has been an absolute pleasure to drive. These later model type 2 that are manufactured in Mexico come from the factory with modern VW watercooled engines that are super reliable and smooth...not to mention providing heat and powerful blowing fan like a modern car. This isn't the typical bus that is regulated to drive in the slow lane or holds up traffic going up hills as the watercooled engine really gets it going and is wonderful to drive. We just had the engine serviced and inspected which included a fresh oil change and antifreeze flush. We also had the carburator upgraded to a brand new Weber set up which further adds to the performance! The bus is about as rust free as you are going to find as it has only been in the U.S. for a little over a year and though just one winter. Otherwise it was down in warm dry Mexico since new. The interior is nice and is just a more modern version of the U.S. Westfalia with updated fabrics. The bed up in the pop top has a large stationary cushion, as well as a second large board that slides into place to make a large bed that can accommodate two people if needed. It has the rear bench seat that folds into a bed, a dining table that comes out and a rear facing seat, just behind the drivers. There are drawers and a cabinet that houses a propane tank for the cook top stove, which works great and we have used while camping and cooking at car shows. The bus is dirty inside as we did not clean it since our last camping trip nor did we wash it, so it should clean up much nicer than the photos show. The big question is how to register it here in the U.S. This will be up to the new owner as each state has different rules, but there are companies such as Broadway title that can do it and last I checked it was a few hundred dollars. I do know here in NY, a mechanic shop can easily get a lein title for it or it can be titled as an older bus by switching parts from another bus using that paperwork like it used to be done when they were importing mexibeetles awhile ago and registering them as 1970's cars by switching parts. The bus has been sitting unused for a few months after the mexican registration ran out and it is leaking antifreeze from a plastic piece on the engine and will need to be fixed before driving long distances. Overall, this is a very rare and hard to come by VOLKSWAGEN FACTORY PRODUCED WATERCOOLED BAY WINDOW CAMPER and not some backyard conversion and I doubt you will see another one...let alone one here in the U.S. We are looking for something else to have fun with so we are open to aircooled trades plus cash. Trade would have to be in reliable daily driver condition with no immediate mechanical work required.
**I JUST NOTICED THAT IT WILL NEED A NEW MUFFLER**

Please note: All items for sale are typically used items(30+ years or older) and are not new or NOS, unless specified. Pictures supplied are to show the actual representation of each item for sale and should be considered the best and most accurate part of the description. I assume buyers here on the Samba to be educated consumers for VW and Porsche parts, so please take time to know what you are buying and that it will fit your car. With that noted, returns are a hassle for both parties and not accepted. If more pictures are needed, please ask and I wil try to accomodate within reason, but be sure to ask all questions before you commit to buy. I am a fair seller and expect the same in a buyer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be next to impossible to get that thing titled in the US (legally anyways). I've heard of a few getting done by switching VIN numbers with an earlier bus but your on thin ice there, would not recommend it.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1209517

25k and he doesnt even have the rear cusion in the pictures... Rolling Eyes

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1205214

split bay window paint Sad

not a 72
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1107136

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcrjacob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that emblem big enough?? Not to mention the shag carpet...

My M-Plate Decode:

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=3447
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcrjacob wrote:
Is that emblem big enough?? Not to mention the shag carpet...

it does say only 13 bucks though..... Laughing

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1173358

why dont i just buy the same thing under its REAL name? i can save 20 bucks! Laughing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Fog-Light-Swit...27c1f2f29e

edit:
or i could save 40....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1237669

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

There's that filter again. Laughing You can easily tell who doesn't pay attention to the Samba community and with the V, isn't a dedicated Bay lover.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

There's that filter again. Laughing You can easily tell who doesn't pay attention to the Samba community and with the V, isn't a dedicated Bay lover.

Just curious, does anyone have any actual proof that a filter in that location has caused a fire?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Desertbusman wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Just curious, does anyone have any actual proof that a filter in that location has caused a fire?

I had a fire once with a filter there.

Of course the fire was because the carb. intake pipe came out, not because of the filter.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Desertbusman wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

I had a fire once with a filter there.

Of course the fire was because the carb. intake pipe came out, not because of the filter.

Exactly.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of that happening with newer Weber/Dellorto/EMPI carbs (the fuel inlet coming out)? I know I've seen it with stock carbs.

Do you add a security wire to yours now Everett? Did you lose that bus or catch it early enough?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Do you add a security wire to yours now Everett? Did you lose that bus or catch it early enough?

Yes, I do have my '63 wired.

The incident was minor. The Bus stalled on the way back from a show and I pulled over to figure out why. I went to the back and there was a small fire so I threw my cooler of melted ice water on it. Some wires and spark plug wires and the fan belt burned and it scorched the top of the engine compartment but that was about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pressure in the pressure side of the pump to the carb is probably our biggest potential area for fire problems. And right there intertwined with high tension electrical. That's not where we would want extra hose connections to potentially fail. And the weight of the filter adds more to the connection concerns.
Zooming in the fast lane my bug died and fortunately safely coasted thru traffic to the side. The engine compartment was really drenched from the hose flopping around and spraying for probably a minute before the carb ran dry. Even the soaked generator with it's internal sparking didn't catch. Very fortunate it didn't burn. The fitting pulled out from the carb. Now it's lockwired. And the filter and extra hose connections are long gone. Whatever can cause fuel leaks needs to be avoided. I've been surprised at how many unrestored, unpainted bug and bus compartments have soot and evidence of fire. They were the lucky survivors.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
The pressure in the pressure side of the pump to the carb is probably our biggest potential area for fire problems. And right there intertwined with high tension electrical. That's not where we would want extra hose connections to potentially fail. And the weight of the filter adds more to the connection concerns.
Zooming in the fast lane my bug died and fortunately safely coasted thru traffic to the side. The engine compartment was really drenched from the hose flopping around and spraying for probably a minute before the carb ran dry. Even the soaked generator with it's internal sparking didn't catch. Very fortunate it didn't burn. The fitting pulled out from the carb. Now it's lockwired. And the filter and extra hose connections are long gone. Whatever can cause fuel leaks needs to be avoided. I've been surprised at how many unrestored, unpainted bug and bus compartments have soot and evidence of fire. They were the lucky survivors.

Glad your bug survived, but this is yet another example of a filter being in the engine compartment, but not causing a fire. It seems to be the scapegoat for further issues. I agree that the filter and it's connections are areas for potential leaks, but the brass inlet pipe and old, dry, and non-ethanol compatible fuel line are the root cause of fuel caused fires, not the filter.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree as well. With all the reports of German braided line failing very quickly that would seem to be the biggest driver of fuel leaks. Removing the number of connections in the engine bay cant hurt either.

I've moved all my line to J30R9 based stuff even though it's over kill for a carb'd setup. You cant be too careful.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't leave the filter hanging either, I route the line over the top of the coil for a straight shot over the carb.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Glad your bug survived, but this is yet another example of a filter being in the engine compartment, but not causing a fire. It seems to be the scapegoat for further issues. I agree that the filter and it's connections are areas for potential leaks, but the brass inlet pipe and old, dry, and non-ethanol compatible fuel line are the root cause of fuel caused fires, not the filter.

Thanks, I was really thrilled it didn't burn either but it still about scared the stuff out of me. I actually agree with you on these issues, somewhat. The root cause of the fires is fuel being ignited by ignition sparking or hot exhaust. Keeping fuel away from those ignition sources would solve that problem. Removing potential leak sources would solve that problem.
We know we have a bad hose situation. The right size hose available is bad. Good hose is the wrong size. I'm changing my hoses all the time, at the most every couple years. And I've still run into leaks and seeps. Seems like it's always been at connections where you can see the deteration and cracks and not in the hose runs. So avoid connections, and particulary in the pressure line. Solex inlet fittings are pulling out and fixing that problem or safety wire solves that. I didn't and most folks probably don't do that until a fitting pulls out. In addition to the fitting being a crummy design, the weight and probably flopping of a filter, the line pressure, and any hose tension is what actually pulls the fitting out.
A filter in the suction side of the pump helps solve many of those problems even if it is still in the engine compartment. My tanks are clean and I never get any junk in the filters so am not at all bothered by them being out of sight and in a akward location right under the tank. A lot of problems get solved that way although the hottest of the exhaust is right there in front of the engine.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a carb barb fall out, no fire but no fun either. I am now safety-wired as well with my filter over the tranny.

Maybe the filter isn't the issue but why risk it when the fix is so easy??

On my first three Buses I never cared about fuel lines also never had a problem but those Buses were 25-30 years old at the time. Now they're ~40 years old and thus all the more prone to age.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Thanks, I was really thrilled it didn't burn either but it still about scared the stuff out of me. I actually agree with you on these issues, somewhat. The root cause of the fires is fuel being ignited by ignition sparking or hot exhaust. Keeping fuel away from those ignition sources would solve that problem. Removing potential leak sources would solve that problem.
We know we have a bad hose situation. The right size hose available is bad. Good hose is the wrong size. I'm changing my hoses all the time, at the most every couple years. And I've still run into leaks and seeps. Seems like it's always been at connections where you can see the deteration and cracks and not in the hose runs. So avoid connections, and particulary in the pressure line. Solex inlet fittings are pulling out and fixing that problem or safety wire solves that. I didn't and most folks probably don't do that until a fitting pulls out. In addition to the fitting being a crummy design, the weight and probably flopping of a filter, the line pressure, and any hose tension is what actually pulls the fitting out.
A filter in the suction side of the pump helps solve many of those problems even if it is still in the engine compartment. My tanks are clean and I never get any junk in the filters so am not at all bothered by them being out of sight and in a akward location right under the tank. A lot of problems get solved that way although the hottest of the exhaust is right there in front of the engine.

This is perfectly stated. The filter is an indirect cause. I only run them in the engine compartment if I am dealing with a dirty tank and I want to be able to change that filter at will. I would rather put the filter on the feed side of the pump in the engine compartment, but I like to run a solid line for that area. I'll run the filter in the pump to carb line, with the brass inlet epoxied in place and the connections safety wired. I like to tie the filter off to something to keep it from bouncing around.

My 70 bus has a nice clean tank. the filter sits above the tranny and is well supported. It's a pain to check and replace, but I don't need to perform that task often. The 57 I am building may have a cruddy tank, and it will get a filter that is easy to access if need be.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/2850506528.html

beautiful bus, but for 16500, can we at least get 4 whole pictures???

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Page 150 of 490

Jump to: