Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 290, 291, 292 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Wasted youth/adulthood wrote:
I also think the whole "patina" thing is complete horseshit...

To paint that bus would be a sin. Shiny repaints on survivor vehicles is complete horse shit.

$10K seems a little high, but I think Skills has it right. Solid, complete, turnkey buses that have nothing to hide are getting really tough to find, and they are the vehicles that many people are seeking.

OK, so you like patina and I think it's overrated. Cool, whatever. Putting new windshield rubber in without addressing the rust just ain't right in my book....when does rust qualify as patina?

And, if it did sell for close to the asking...I think it was $10,500...then that's what the market will bear. Just won't be my money!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
To paint that bus would be a sin. Shiny repaints on survivor vehicles is complete horse shit.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Survivors get shipped to wet places. Then the survivor does not survive. I survivor in the desert may well last another decade or two, a survivor sitting in a non A/C garage in the Keys will last a year or two. Trust me, I learned this lesson. I wholly agree with the lipstick on a pig thing, but sometimes you have to paint (correctly) a survivor to help it survive.
babybart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 23 grand for incomplete air condtioning Reply with quote

Yondermtn wrote:
I email this seller a week ago about why he didn't finish the air conditioning system, but never got a reply.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1613683

An odd choice of photos in that ad.

Right...just introspective close-ups. Nothing really meaty.

I see I have the honor of making the whine section. I usually stay out of this section as I find it's a waste of time with alot of uneducated comments. I find working on my VW's more productive. No further replies from me. If you have serious VW questions then PM me for a reply.
1) Did not receive any email asking said question.
2) 99% of the time thesamba emails end up in spam folder (using yahoo mail). Yes, I've added thesamba to my safe list and it still occurs. Again, no email in spam or inbox.
Try PM'ing me if you are dying for an answer.
3) Just got back from an 8 day trip to Grand Canyon and other boonie destinations. Poor cell service. But see above.
4) I'm sure you are not a serious buyer, but I'll answer your question.
I'm done investing money in this bus. Next buyer can buy a compressor or not use the ac at all. Wing windows work way better and don't rob HP. Auto+AC=not the best HP. And, price is OBO so they can save some money and get that missing compressor. Or, I'll install for serious buyer. Or remove ac system for a serious buyer. Or discount price for serious buyer. Serious buyer seems to be key here. Shocked Wink
5) Pictures in ad show details. Ie- German scrapers, quality paint and body, rechromed ($$$) OG bumpers, etc. As ad states, I can send a photo album with oh, over 180 pictures where you'll find your "meat."
6) 23k is not much for the work that has been done. Really, try finding the same bus, buy the same very pricey German quality parts, rechroming OG parts, quality paint, buying not-available-in-the-US plaid from London ($$$), pay for all the mechanical upgrades I performed, etc and then you'd get it.
7) You'd be shocked to know what I have spent so far to get bus to current condition, and again, I pay wholesale.
Cool Well, there went 12 minutes of my time responding.

Best!
Mike
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had simply stated that you could not fund the completion of the air conditioning for the project in your ad, instead of touting that the 'bus has A/C' in such a favorable manner, you would not have had to waste 12 minutes of your life with your response. Wink

Thanks for replying, I could re-send the email and you'd see the original date it was sent, but you have answered my question. Bus looks great, I'm sure you'll get your money out of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I also think the whole "patina" thing is complete horseshit...

$10K seems a little high, but I think Skills has it right. Solid, complete, turnkey buses that have nothing to hide are getting really tough to find, and they are the vehicles that many people are seeking.

OK, so you like patina and I think it's overrated. Cool, whatever. Putting new windshield rubber in without addressing the rust just ain't right in my book....when does rust qualify as patina?

Would this one be better repainted?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How about this?

or this...

or this?

Each of these buses wears original paint, with a few small rust issues that should be addressed. But to repaint them entirely would be outrageous. The delta green bus in questions could be dealt with in the exact same way. R&R-ing the windshield is a relatively simple task that could be left to the new owner if they choose to repair the rust in that area. That repair might be completely unnecessary depending on the climate where the bus will reside.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter now but I can confirm he emailed you on your ad on 4/1 with that question.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've visited this patina argument before, but I'll reiterate: I understand the value of patina...it's like faded blue jeans. I get that. The problem I have is when people use it as a dynamic selling point, (like just about every ad I see) or put it up on pedestal like we all have to bow down to. Then, you get some rusted piece of neglected shit...and some ass clown calls it "patina." Enough already! RUST is not patina!

Case in point: the green bus. I will continue to argue that the steel work should have been done before adding the new seal. Craftily done, the "patina" Sick could have been...what's the right word here...saved? I cannot see any possible justification for the work involved in changing out a windshield and not addressing rust. Rust doesn't stop on its own just because it's the desert.

What's next? driving around with a shredded headliner and duct tape seat coverings because it's...cool?

So, in a nutshell it's now overrated and abused to the point of nausea. Kind of like this whole flat black paint with red trimmed rims. Aren't we all done with that by now?

And, no, I couldn't care less if it's the "in thing to do." I don't need patina....or any other overrated term-of-the-month... to tell me I'm looking at something vintage. I don't conform to the mold, I stopped listening to heavy metal when Motley Cure went 'glam', I thought hackysack was for losers and I never got the whole 'Cal' look on the bugs. Whatever. But if the rest of you are all on board with it fine, whatever floats your boat. I usually run like hell from the 'in' crowd anyway.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. But when the full ad was still up and I looked at the photos of the windshield base area, I didn't see signs of rust through. The paint was burned off, and the metal was surface rusted, but I saw no bubbles or anything. Should be an easy fix to paint blend that area, and the seller saw fit to seal the windshield and possibly replace the glass, but leave the body as is for the buyer to deal with as he pleases.

FWIW, I never cared much for Cal Look or glam rock, but I was damn good at hacky sack. Wink
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say nice (faded or not) original paint wins over a good percentage of repaints out there. Hosing your bus down with shiny paint means nothing to me unless it's done to a very high quality, and to a well deserving bus. Especially with beetles i see mixed match hood, doors, fenders, decklids, etc all different colors, that parts were thrown together from 50 (excuse my exaggeration) different cars Rolling Eyes Regardless of what "crowd" you think you are in, how can you not like walking up to a car or bus & seeing that it has been untampered with for all these years? I just think it is funny how many VW people are like crows & just look at the shiny stuff. They always seem to love chrome too Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
I'd say nice (faded or not) original paint wins over a good percentage of repaints out there. Hosing your bus down with shiny paint means nothing to me unless it's done to a very high quality, and to a well deserving bus. Especially with beetles i see mixed match hood, doors, fenders, decklids, etc all different colors, that parts were thrown together from 50 (excuse my exaggeration) different cars Rolling Eyes Regardless of what "crowd" you think you are in, how can you not like walking up to a car or bus & seeing that it has been untampered with for all these years? I just think it is funny how many VW people are like crows & just look at the shiny stuff. They always seem to love chrome too Laughing

No, I get it. Like I said...faded blue jeans. Cool The whole patina thing seems way over the top now. And, yeah, quite frankly, I haven't the skill or experience to do a top drawer paint job...let alone the right booth to do it in. I dunno. Can't seem to move past it. Maybe I need counseling! Laughing

Never got what the goal was with a lowrider all primered out with all the chrome put back on, either.
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw76westy wrote:
kevhum wrote:
Kirk wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1605434

This just seems excessive to me. Rolling Eyes
I get those rear seats with good useable shape for real cheep to free,And I sell them for next to nothing.

early bay rear seat needs recovering ........$350
ya.. its on the high side but its in the ball park

its hard to see but these seats are selling for $300

early bay 68-71 seats fit in split bus perfectly and i have passed them
onto the splitt community for $150 for years

nowadays there are more bay people hunting for these
than split people, pushing "the willing to pay" point to $250-$300
because they have become very hard to find

its hard to see this trend when a late bay rear seat
takes 3 months to sell for $100 - $150

both came off a bay, both look the same, but 1 is very desirable, 1 is not

here is....
a perfect example of a overpriced 73-79 rear seat
where the seller has no clue as to the real value
of what he is selling (id post all his ads here but i dont want to take up the space

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1617145

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1625944

This guy needs a dick punch for that. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...will ship for $220.80 give or take."

??? Confused
72 Baja
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take the seat if I can pay an additional $75 and he will include the ashtray.
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:

I bought heater boxes for my 78 from this guy. They were supposed to be solid examples. After cleaning, they were absolutely not. I tried emailing them and no answer.Maybe I should have tried harder to contact them, but I figured it was wasted time.

Evil or Very Mad Could you punch him for me too? CRRRRRRAAAP!
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWDog wrote:
Kirk wrote:

I bought heater boxes for my 78 from this guy. They were supposed to be solid examples. After cleaning, they were absolutely not. I tried emailing them and no answer.Maybe I should have tried harder to contact them, but I figured it was wasted time.

Did you post in "Feedback"?
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
VWDog wrote:
Kirk wrote:

I haven't, but I should. Thanks for reminding me.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1626078

His prices are insane and "firm". Jeez.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWDog wrote:
babysnakes wrote:
VWDog wrote:
Kirk wrote:

I haven't, but I should. Thanks for reminding me.

Email him again or email me if you want me to contact him, I believe he wants to keep his business in good standing.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevhum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1626078

His prices are insane and "firm". Jeez.
Like this one? I have picked up whole buses for way less than this.Not pretty ones but for cheep what do you expect? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1625944
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 290, 291, 292 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Page 291 of 490

Jump to: