Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fair price question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: fair price question Reply with quote

I have a bus listed here on Samba , runof the mill 77 bay fairly solid , was wondering a realistic price to be asking , also was considering seperating drivetrain does anyone know a fair price for the Auromatic trans complete with hard to find ? mounts , also a 77 complete engine , free spining [ not froze thanks volks !
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

If it doesn't run a buyer should assume there are lots of things that are worn out and do not work well, so there is little value.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

That trans/convertor/flexplate & shift selector quadrant is $1200.-ish.
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!...I kind of hate to sell everything seperate... but since it is already apart that may be best ?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

I just sold a really well sorted (mild custom) 71 westy for 16k

Like, jump in and go anywhere condition.

The prices are in the shitter and nobody has any money. When your grocery bill is a mortgage payment there aren't many people looking for a bus

I got lucky and cut it free. Honestly, I was hoping for mid 20's but whatever. I already about doubled the money by doing other deals. Who would have thought diesel lawn equipment would have been a financial honey hole...but whatever...

anyway, I'd take the first 700 bux that came your way. The no paperwork thing is a HUGE problem

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

Exactly where is weast of Eden?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly ...and also maybe alot of these dreamers who are not very adept with wrenches and dirty fingernails and skinned knickles are starting to realize van life in a 50 year old VDubb aint the same as a BluTech Benz ... Im not selling that parts Bus for 700 bux , i'll make a chickencoop out of it before I doo that haha
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

Aeromech ... a remote village west of Eden Wyoming ... a fraction of a blink and youve missed it ...just the way We like it up here ...more Jackalopes than people and less Jacka$$es than taxes...
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

I guess if you’re leaving the bus community it doesn’t matter if your actual location is with your Avatar
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

Just having a little fun , when i need to get serious , trust me ... I remember how ...and as far as the community goes if anyone needs my 20 , thats not a problem ...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

The prices are in the shitter and nobody has any money. When your grocery bill is a mortgage payment there aren't many people looking for a bus

I got lucky and cut it free. Honestly, I was hoping for mid 20's but whatever. I already about doubled the money by doing other deals. Who would have thought diesel lawn equipment would have been a financial honey hole...but whatever...

anyway, I'd take the first 700 bux that came your way. The no paperwork thing is a HUGE problem

Somebody won the lottery for 16k for a skillsBus. My guess is you liked him/her.

Nice to get rid of stuff though.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

it's a decent-ish shell and you have the title for it, but there's a lot of missing bits before it's a runner. you might get closer to what you want out of it by parting it out but it's a PITA and will take time.
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

Abscate...someone got real Lucky ,and someone was eager to sell kind of a perfect storm situation.
Aircooledchris... it is fairly solid shell metal wise,not all rusted , Its somewhat dissassembled already , and Im pretty handy with a blue wrench ,and a chop saw...of course as you can tell I'm no rocket scientist , but here ' West of Eden ' I got norhin but space n time , just like Alvin Lee1 Also like Rod the Sod ...I'm never gonna own a racehorse , or a fastback mid-engine Porsche ...but I'm content with my Veggie burnin " million miler EMP proof , BattleAx Benz ... this keeps me by proxy, in touch with the Volks in the Cherman community ,no ?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

VeeDubb steppin wrote:
Abscate...someone got real Lucky ,and someone was eager to sell kind of a perfect storm situation.

it wasn't a "perfect storm" it was BaT

I have 10 cars registered and insured. The 71 was a camper I haven't used much since the Vanagon. The tax/registration/insurance savings is only a few hundred a year, but it will be redirected into something that makes money.

16k was a slap in the dick, but I had 18-20k in my head because the bus was a bit custom.

That said, nobody is "makin' it rain" 100's cuz nobody has it anymore. I was happy to sell it and re-invest the $$

That 16 turned into 28 in about 2 weeks. I 100% had the stars align...no doubt there but point being the bus is/was/always will be a depreciating asset.

As an aside, I never looked at my bus addiction as any sort of investment. I did it because I enjoyed it.

Enjoy your chicken coop. I have had a parts bus for sale for months for 500 bux.... not one bite. So, it's getting loaded with scrap as we speak and it will be forked off the trailer and inserted into the crusher.

There is a new reality with this shit. I have been saying for the last 4-5 years we are becoming the "brass era" guys and nobody wants this shit anymore.

A friend had a Renault Clio rally car die at like 25k.... a few years back it was a 80k car. If the guys with money aren't spending that should be a clear sign to those who don't have that kind of money... Read that as...everyone is fucking broke now

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

VeeDubb steppin wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly ...and also maybe alot of these dreamers who are not very adept with wrenches and dirty fingernails and skinned knickles are starting to realize van life in a 50 year old VDubb aint the same as a BluTech Benz ... Im not selling that parts Bus for 700 bux , i'll make a chickencoop out of it before I doo that haha

Could get yourself a nice chickencoop for $700.
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

But, But , there in Blutopia the economy is good ? Thats what the Mokingbirds keep telling me ?Your right the desire for Dino powered buggies is waining ...The Saavy restorer will be investing in restoring vintage Nintendo games ,I-Fon's , Tatoo removal machines , and Testosterone replacement drug therapy companies ... Lots of " perfect storms on BAT ! Friend of mine sold a westy to a broker , I believe he was asking 24K...but the broker got 30 something K for it " The Stars aligned ' for him " too I guess ? ... I do enjoy my chicken coop ,especially when I gather embryo's in the A.M. but my chickens are elites and need a second home ! So glad i'm no longer an east coaster anymore , where they penalize you for EVERYTHING especially vehicle ownership ...but hey " You will own nothing and be happy " soon enuff Peasant [Sheesh} My personal opinion is thats sacreligous to crush a bus ,but whats a poor Dinosaur to do !
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

I can't believe you sold your bus for only $16k! (£12750 to us!) Someone got a really sweet deal there. That said, even with our own currently depressed market place, buses cost more over here.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

favguy wrote:

I can't believe you sold your bus for only $16k!

The money was used to leverage another deal that paid out, plus the open space has made me more money as well.

Like I said, I was thinking 18-20k in todays market. I was bummed to be on the low end of that but I went into it being realistic.

For 2k, I wasn't going to walk. 2k is an afternoon's worth of work for me so seeing the effort I put in to clean/photo/list it... it wasn't worth holding out.

I always tell people..."the first money is the best money" and it's true (mostly)

I mean, I just didn't want it to be laying around, fully detailed etc just to do it over again. It was almost a full 9 days to detail that bus to the 9's and no fucking way was I doing that again.

And to be clear.... did I *need* the money? No but I could have used it. Either way everything worked out.

So just let this go to show everyone...just because it was "a bus that Skills owned" means squat. The market spoke... and it's horribly weak right now. I had my fun with it and it's off to someone else.

here's the link:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-volkswagen-bus-73/

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

I bought a used 010 automatic from a Vanagon that was working fine when pulled out for a swap and paid CAN$600 for it in 2017 and had it rebuilt for another CAN$1500 for reference. It came complete with both axles with new CV joints and boots but no mounts or gear selector linkages.

Regarding the market for Buses, people aren't broke, they're just more conservative about the available cash they have. When interest rates come down and the election anxiety is over, people will start looking to buy again.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: fair price question Reply with quote

Quote:
So just let this go to show everyone...just because it was "a bus that Skills owned" means squat.

That is so true and the same for other vehicles. I find that selling on enthusiasts forums just leads to the peanut gallery commenting and then a bazillion questions from tire kickers. After that, you can take 1000 pics and 5 videos but it's not enough. In the end, if you are not in a rush to get rid of it, then just put up with all of the BS. If you need to move it now, put it up on a non enthusiast site and wait for the market to go where it goes.

I sold my EV in 2 days and got what i thought was a good price. If I would have tried to sell it here or on other VW forums, it would have been something that would have cost me 2 weeks of my time and mostly, a bunch of no shows. Instead, some dude showed up with a wad of cash and he drove away. Funny part was I loaded it up with every part I had (because I horded NLA parts many years ago). Told him, don;t sell these because you'll need them and you can't get them any more. Plus he got an extra set of snows and summer tires mounted up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: