Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car cover & Solar Panel
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigChedda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:22 am    Post subject: Car cover & Solar Panel Reply with quote

Hi there -

My 1977 Bay Window is currently driveway parked due to not having a garage at my place and storage rental is out of my budget. I would love to throw a car cover on the bus to help protect against the elements, but there's a solar panel installed on the roof charging the battery for the house electronics.

Does anyone have any tips on protecting the vehicle and keeping the battery charged? I'm not in love with the idea of putting on the cover when it's raining and taking it off when it's dry in the winter to keep the battery topped off, but if that's the best option then I guess I'll deal with it!

I also recognize a car port tent is an option, but a very ugly one IMO, so looking to exhaust all other options before going that route.

Thank you!!
Synergy Solutions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Car cover & Solar Panel Reply with quote

Trim a hole in the cover to match the solar, and use a clear plastic to patch the hole, like the license plate holes on custom car covers. Do a google search for “licence plate car cover” youll see what i mean.

(206) 841 7324
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Car cover & Solar Panel Reply with quote

Your camper has an electrical inlet. Run an extension cord to it, and mount a permanent battery tender inside the bus, wired to the inlet. I do this even in my home garage so the fridge stays cold and I can leave lights on. Batteries last longer when tended, too.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Car cover & Solar Panel Reply with quote

You could also consider fitting a 10 watt flexi panel held down with straps over the cover and a cable running down one of the straps and going to the solar controller.
You do not need all the power of the main solar array to just keep the battery charged

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Car cover & Solar Panel Reply with quote

Good point. Lots of camp gear companies make 3-10 watt panels that you could stand up nearby with a small wire to the battery for covered tending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Car cover & Solar Panel Reply with quote

The battery tender Jr. works great The idea of hard wiring is also a great idea.
BigChedda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Car cover & Solar Panel Reply with quote

Great advice, thanks everyone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: