Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mystery flat spot/misfiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussie Greg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: mystery flat spot/misfiring Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Ok I have a 65 1200 bug (stock standard) I have been trying to find the cause of a flat spot / misfiring when driving. It seems to get worse as the car warms up.

So far I have swapped the distributor, coil, condensor, it has new ignition leads, new spark plugs (checked the gaps), I have cleaned and re-assembled the carburettor and I have re-set the timing and triple checked it. I have also adjusted the tappet clearances and all seems to be ok Confused

I cannot see or hear any exhaust or manifold leaks but, I have noticed the manifold directly under the carburettor ices up and stays quite cold! Could it be as simple as the heat risers being clogged up with carbon? Would this cause the engine to miss or have a flat spot under acceleration? Hope someone can shed some light Idea

Greg

My email - [email protected]

1963 Beetle
1965 Beetle
1982 Type 25 Transporter/Vanagon
1985 Type 25 Caravelle/Vanagon
2001 Golf
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, manifold icing causes flat spots and hesitation, do you have the stock air cleaner with all the hoses hooked up?
Aussie Greg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi slow 1200,

Yes I have the hoses all connected up and the stock oil bath set-up. One other thing I did notice was white oily sludge in the breather tube from the oil filler to the oil bath. Obviously moisture mixed with oil Confused Don't know what to make of that!

I did clean the sludge out but, if the manifold is icing up... Could that be causing the sludge as well?

I'll take the manifold off if I can get time tomorrow and inspect and clean out the heat risers... Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks heaps for your help and I'll let you know how I go.

Greg

1963 Beetle
1965 Beetle
2001 Golf
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the milky stuff in oil breather cap is from engine not getting hot enough to remove the condensation. the icing is plugged heat riser tubes which also contributes to problems you are having.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vicsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Pluged Heat riser Reply with quote

Plugged Heat Risers ->Heat Risers "How to Clean" <> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/qa_heatrisers.htm and Check for Air Leaks -> Air Leaks "How to Check" <> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/wontidle.htm Also Try some Heat in the Gas Tank First.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
blackhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussie Greg - I had the same problem and it was the heat riser tubes. Not as easy to clean as it sounds. I just finished the job on Saturday after a week of soaking it with carb cleaner and drilling. I was told to use a piece of clutch cable in the drill and fray the end of it. I found the best results when I used a thicker piece of cable - cut at various lengths - and a hammer drill. Make sure you run the drill in reverse. Learn from my mistakes and it will save you time and headaches. Cheers!
MTIguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible split or crack in a spark plug wire. I had a car when it warmed up and I took off around 3,000rpm the car would buck like it was out of gas or spark, come to find out I waited till night, warmed up and jacked the throttle sure enough spark plug wire was arc(ing) onto a metal source nearby.

F.Y.I. the plug wires were brand new!

Good luck.
Aussie Greg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thankyou to you all ! Very Happy

It looks like I'm going to need a day or so to work on fixing this problem!

Bill May, thankyou what you tell me makes perfect sense! I was starting to think the two problems were somehow related.

vicsvw, thanks for the helpful links.

blackhorse, thanks for the advice, I will try what you have said... From memory when I last had the manifold off I saw quite a bit of carbon inside the heatrisers but, unfortunately I did not think it was going to be a problem Embarassed Oh well another mistake I have learnt from Cool

MTIguy, I was thinking the same thing as I have had a new sparkplug lead crack and arc before but, I had a spare and tried it on each plug to make sure Smile Thankyou

I did not get to check today too many other home duties to attend to but, will get time over the weekend.

Greg

1963 Beetle
1965 Beetle
2001 Golf
carln
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the vent pipe hooked up between the air cleaner and the oil filler? That helps keep the humidity down. Check your manifold for tightness/leaks at the heads.
Aussie Greg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have made some progress... Could'nt find and old clutch cable so I bought a short length of cable wire (same thing anyway) Very Happy I attached it to my drill and was able to clean alot of the carbon build-up out. I am unsure of one thing though. On the 1200 manifold it has a cast aluminium section which covers the centre section of the manifold I can only push the cable through as far as the casting on each end of the manifold. Does the heat riser tube continue right across the manifold? Or Only as far as the casting on each side? Confused Ok I have probably confused everyone Laughing If I were to blow compressed air into one end of the heat riser... should it come out the other end? Cheers

Greg

1963 Beetle
1965 Beetle
2001 Golf
vicsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Yes it is open all the way through. Try the (Acetylene turned off and using oxygen only) Not to much oxygen as the burning carbon really gets hot and to much oxygen can melt the runners.
This way is so easy and fast it is worth taking the manifold to some one who has a Acetylene torch. Vic
http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/qa_heatrisers.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Aussie Greg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks vicsvw,

I'll have to find someone who can help me out with an acetylene then.

Cheers

Greg

1963 Beetle
1965 Beetle
2001 Golf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: