Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

March 1st 1954 (Delilah)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: March 1st 1954 (Delilah) Reply with quote

Okay ladies & gentlemen, here is the new addition to the Valentine Family..I already ordered her birth certificate last week and got confirmation from Mrs. H. Findler that they will begin the search, so more info to come. Wink She is a March of 1954 VW, I purchased her back in July of this year (via snail mail check from Kandahar Air Base when I made it over there to the US Post Office). I'm still in Afghanistan so I haven't seen her in person just yet, only photos. She arrived in Cali. from Ariz. last week on Tuesday, and in good hands...Being delivered in an enclosed trailor straight to the shop already. My goal is to have her painted, interior and driveable by Pomona in October (I come home for a mid-tour visit..few weeks then back here). Her pan is solid with repairs already done on certain areas. Heater channels solid, OG front seats, Batwing (try the resto myself on this one), 12 Volt SHO semis (missing covers, but already purchased a 6 volt SHO pair with orange lenses and covers..so I will stick the lenses and covers on the 12 Volt semis..good there), had later front fenders (but already purchased OG fronts and had them FedExed to the shop waiting for her arrival), has later rears non-dimpled (purchased OG right rear dimpled for 53-54..needs some work..but also had that delivered to the shop for her), and all of the bits and small pieces to go. Now! There's some good stuff and some so so stuff about her...but I love her anyway.. This is the Shocked stuff I found . It seems I need to verify when the BC comes if she is an OG Rag (Daddys still in denial here)..at the shop they said it might be a graft at the seems...MAYBE! Both front and rear aprons are not OG Confused (the front is a 2 fingered apron, and the rear is off a 66) so it was like hearing somewhat more shocking news (felt that all the way here in Afghanistan) BUT! So I sent some emails out...(now I have a rear OG correct apron coming soon to the shop Wink , and a 4 fingered front on the way as well Very Happy ) so Im okay now, have two upper back rests for the rear seat; one 55' earlier with swivel hinge and one later (but purchased an OG rear set top & bottom and will have delivered to the shop as well), the drivers side door lower hinge bent baaad Confused (but baby stuff and repairable), some of the bits and pieces weren't cared for and came broken and lots of oxidation or rust. I do have plenty of extras though, small goodies, also all the parts that I have replaced...so you will see me listing what I could to help other brothas & sistas out. Well I think Ive babbled enough, I will keep everyone posted as my adventure begins..hopefully I can meet my goal and see some of you at Pomona and introduce you to her on October 19th..take care.. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I gave my oval a nasty look. Money hungry bitch....

(Delilah) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319235

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

1954 Parts Book (CD PDF) PM TO INQUIRE

Last edited by valentinesr on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:52 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Great to see another '54! What color is she going to be?
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since the whole family has influence on her, the rules were to go strictly with any of the 1954 OG colors..I chose L213 Iceland Green...Mamma wanted L227 Strato Silver..So after a "VW Filibuster" phone calls and emails between the to colors..My choice was "VETOED" by mamma, so it looks like L227 Strato Silver it is..BUT! We all agreed on the interior (No debating)...This is democracy in the Valentine house... Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car and I look forward to seeing more of it.
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joey, it would be cool to check out the VW when I stop off in SC...our company headquarters is in Ladson..and we go there briefly..Of course this will be in February or March of next year..Way to take the Vee Dub out camping brotha...those were cool pics..

scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look me up then. You seem to be making alot of progress on the car even though you are half a world away. Keep it up.
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many L227 Strato Silver sunroof'd '54 already exist. Go with the Iceland Green Wink Seriously........ Cool
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ride! Just curious, do you know what the original color was? If not are you going to wait til you recieve your birth cert before deciding 100% on a color? I am waiting for my cert to show up also, cant wait. Very Happy

Also, thank you for your service to our country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Rare, I know what you mean by the colors and Strato..You sport a L227 huh? You have to understand when youve been away from mamma for 7 months...and the car has to be painted before I come home...put yourself in my boots..Im trying to keep on the good side. Razz I could see the color as being debateable though..Hopefully Rare & Dalbey the BC is my wild card and lists the color as L213 Iceland Green..but Im not trying to stir up the pot before I get home.. Wink So Ill let it ride for now..VW Filibuster will continue..Here are some more pics of the baby girl..you will see what Im talking about in the 2 fingered front apron, front fenders, hood pushed in, and some floor repair..etc..but I would say she's ready for work...

Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it has been hit in the front. How are the front quarters? It looks like the crosspiece under the tool roll shelf is deformed by about half an inch. This not only looks bad but will also affect the fit of the fenders if the damage is not repaired/pulled out.
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dalbey its my pleasure to do my part for our country, Mr. Woody, I wish I could tell you more, but like I said Im not there with my baby girl just yet..good eyes though..but from what the boys at the shop noticed and when I got the low down from them..they said no damage to the main body and that it was clean..maybe the PO bumped just the front apron...it was changed out..so something happend back in the day... d'oh!

Last edited by valentinesr on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
It looks like the crosspiece under the tool roll shelf is deformed by about half an inch. This not only looks bad but will also affect the fit of the fenders if the damage is not repaired/pulled out.

That area looks fine to me
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a choice I would go for Strato Silver. Guess that's my favorite of all early colors. Mine is black and that's the way it will stay. That's just like one of those little black dress numbers, you can never go wrong. Laughing
Anyway, good luck with your project! Oh yes, I'm envious of that big, gaping hole in the roof! Wish I had one of those.

And above all, hold in there! Must be agony to be away from your loved ones and your new aquisition.

Undis
Tbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the later front apron was just welded on in an uncommon position.
All of the horizontal lines above the tool shelf seem to be parallel to me.

My 100th part of a dollar x 2

Ted
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbone wrote:
I think the later front apron was just welded on in an uncommon position.
All of the horizontal lines above the tool shelf seem to be parallel to me.

My 100th part of a dollar x 2

Ted

I agree with you on the apron. It is crooked but it is coming off anyway.

I am talking about the metal immediately below the tool shelf.
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this help any woody? Maybe just to clerify something you see..And yes the apron is getting cut out and replaced with correct parts..Ill be sure to post pictures they send to me from the shop.

Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valentinesr wrote:
Does this help any woody? Maybe just to clerify something you see..And yes the apron is getting cut out and replaced with correct parts..Ill be sure to post pictures they send to me from the shop.

Yes it does.
Where the flat shelf area turns downward there is a bulge. I will call that panel (the one with the inspection holes in it) the front crosspiece. There should not be a bulge there--it should be flat all the way across except for that slight bend that runs from one side to the other. The flat shelf is bolted to the front beam because that is the location of the front body mounts. When a bug gets hit in the bumper, the bumper--which is mounted to the lower, unsupported corners of the front quarter panels--pushes back the quarter panels. The quarter panels are spot welded to the front crosspiece. It moves with them except in the center where the shelf is. The shelf doesn't move because it is bolted to the front beam. Instead it tends to deform the crosspiece where it is attached. That deformation is very difficult to correct, because even if you can pull out the damage to the front quarters, that area wants to stay bent.

It would help us if you could have the shop photograph the front quarter panels from each side with the fenders off. Another picture looking straight down into the spare tire well would also be helpful. I would be willing to bet that the tire well bottom will be pounded. An accurate replacement is available from Wolfparts in Sweden. Used tire wells are often all beat up from curbs, rust etc. The repops available through WW and the like are not correct.

Regardless of whether you decide to replace the crosspiece or not, when the metal work is going on, the shop will need to preassemble the front end and hang the hood before welding up the new apron. This will help ensure that the hood latches properly and that you have a uniform hood gap all the way around. They can use clecos or sheet metal screws to mount the apron temporarily during this process.
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Woody, are you talking about the bulge in my 54 like the one in this picture used by "Billmetric" in a thread? Right below the tool box shelf, above the inspection cover whole..Ive looked through the gallery and found some are flat and some have a degree that pops out on the sides and come out a bit..I think my baby girl is okay..
Cool

valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the replacement for the rear apron...Its an OG Rear H Apron section..removed with care..and being installed onto my girl..

Here are the OG front fenders I picked up and are replacing the ones you see on her front clip..First the Drivers Side:

Now the Passengers Side:

And both have the tubes behind the buckets and great flares at the running boards..Next is the OG 53-54 Right Rear Dimpled Fender..someone drilled holes for later tail lights..but you can see in the second photo where the OG holes were before someone covered them up..

Here are the correct rear seat set thats going in as well..

And last but not least for updates is the SHO semis..remember, the ones with the yellow lenses are SHO 12 Volt, what I have to do is take the SHO 6 Volt semis orange lenses off and covers and put them on my 12 Volt pair..Then I should be okay..So I will have a nice pair of SHO 6 Volts on the side, as well as SHO Yellow lenses..

Well thats where Im at for parts that are already at the shop and some that are in route to her...As far as whats happening right now..her front beam is getting removed and a 3" Narrowed Selecta Drop Beam will be installed..the rear will be lowered the old school way a little, no lowering plates..Just wanted to say what was going on for now..Take care..Ill be adding some stuff just to make her a little different as well, but the parts will be OG..and not all of them in my gallery..Dont know what Im going to do with the 56 Huls Seat Recliners just yet..Im looking for the early ones.. Wink

americanautomoving
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Good luck with it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: