Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Long Travel A-Arm Conversion For Sandrails...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonka329
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked on the link and it says it's no longer available... Did you perhaps know how much he was asking for the kit?
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The complete kits were around $3200.00. Depending on shocks and stuff.
tonka329
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Baja5... $3,200! That is a decent price... I would supply my own shocks. Where is Pete located at?
seabeebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that makes the kits a collectors item now. I will sell mine for 4500. Very Happy Well not really . That is a great kit. He may make them again . Who knows with the Countries direction. And Ca is in a S**t storm.

A better place to talk offroad
tonka329
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I will spend $4500... Nice try tho! Laughing If he is located in California don't think I could afford shipping!! I'm in Illinois. About 65 miles South of Chicago... Thanks for the help. I'll try the conversion myself. I'm just scared to mess up my rail... Shocked
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could check out orange county buggy, they sell a kit that is similar. Not sure how much though.
tonka329
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange County Buggy?
tanner_122
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont see the point IMO of spending $3500 + on an A arm front end for a VW Question if u want an a arm front end why not buy a rail that already has one? Idea
tonka329
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has emotional attachments to this buggy... Cool
greg mgm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the point was to get a very reliable soft riding suspension. You really have to experience it to get it. You don't feel many of the bumps, and riding all day off road doesn't beat you up. Getting airborn and landing nice and soft is incredible. I paid more than $3500 per end on my baja and now have A arms front and rear. By far it was the best $$ I've even spent !

BTW, I've riden in Pete's A arm buggy and it rides awesome. His suspension kits were very fairly priced considering how much work he put into them. Seabeebuggys manx has Pete's A arms also....rides great!

tanner_122 wrote:
i dont see the point IMO of spending $3500 + on an A arm front end for a VW Question if u want an a arm front end why not buy a rail that already has one? Idea
Lawrence_0485
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Long Travel A-Arm Conversion For Sandrails... Reply with quote

ellobo wrote:
I'll be introducing my latest Bolt-on Long Travel A-Arm kit for Sandrails at the Sand Sports Super Show this weekend.
Stop by and check it out as well as my Off-Road A-Arm Kit for VW based vehicles. Maybe even have a beer on me...
Pete...Pavilion 20, Booth #413-415
http://www.a-arm.com

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know that this is going wayyy back, but would a setup like this hold up on a desert style baja? Driven very hard and catching lots of air or would a conventional style a-arm be better?
hillmonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: A Arm Conversion Reply with quote

I am very interested in your bolt on kit. Please email me with you contact info.

Thank you Dan Edwards
takotruckin
SUPER Baja

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately Pete (ellobo) is no longer selling these kits. Its a shame, he did damn fine work.
Rockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always buy this setup:

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=214514

Not bad for the parts there...
Thadude90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has any one ever uses the orange county a arm kit that bolts on, any pics of it. does any one else make a kit like that. i realy want one, i really liked the one ellobo was making.
surewriting
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stockornaut Restorations in GA is developing a front A-arm kit for use on bajas and rails, and already has a rear A-arm system pretty much sorted out. Were going to be building a testbed baja to iron out all the kinks extremely soon

http://www.stockornaut.com/
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason he stopped making the kit was his rear strut rod support is flawed...if you land just hard enough that support is going move backwards which will throw your steering alignment off big time and could cause your buggy to crash...the other design flaw in the rear support is that there are so many different rails on the market as well as home built kits...his strut rod support seems to be designed for a frame that is built with parallel side bars...I am almost certain this is why he stopped making this front A-arm suspension, just too many different frame designs would require a lot of strut rod redesign.
shred625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion but that entire bolt on a-arm thing is a really bad idea. There is no way that is strong enough to be safe.

If you want an a-arm car then you have 2 options in my opinion. Cut the front of your car off and make it an a-arm or buy an a-arm chassis. Everything else is junk to me.

To be honest you can get a really nice beam for $3500.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree Shred. That is so much money for something that just doesn't look that strong. And 15" of travel from a beam (way less than $3500) rides the same as 15" of travel from A-arms, and the trailing arm design is inherently stronger than an A-arm setup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ducktape
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the last one, the "floor model" pictured on the site. The rear support is the Achilles heel. I opted to weld my supports on, which helped quite a bit but the placement is critical. Too far forward or back causes extreme bumpsteer. I only realized this after welding.

I ended up modeling the suspension on my computer, tweaking the mounting points here and there until I had eliminated bumpsteer. A slight change to the spindles solved my problem. It worked out for me, but it probably wouldn't have been a success for your average Joe. I suspect that's part of why it's discontinued; it's just too hard to make a one-size-fits-all solution for every rail that's out there.

It's a shame, really. I love this setup so much! Pete is an exceptional engineer. Everyone who has seen it really liked it, and it's survived some extreme torture... Example: I managed to accidentally t-bone my Jeep with it at 30mph, and believe it or not my Jeep was the loser. It's much smoother than comparable beams, and is more predictable. I'd invite the doubters to come see for themselves, but I don't think they could keep up!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: