Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Porsche engine swap for type I
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
69 bugin wrote:
the older type 4 engine in the 1960-69 porshe is allmost a drop in

You mean the 356/912 engine...

Type 616... 4-cylinder, 3-piece case - funky cylinder heads...I've seen a couple fitted into Beetles...I understand the valve covers require the body to be reshaped.
69 bugin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i just posted that for reference i didnt mean it as i wrote it
yes i did mean the older porshe engines would fit but i thought wrong on the type it was that is what i get for reading somany things about engine swapps stupid me Laughing
Raggamuffin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Here is a 911 in a Type 3. T-3 has a much bigger engine compartment, and they still had to do a lot of cutting.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Schwingggg!! Razz
dravin21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have type4 want to install need a parts rundown so i can cram it in kermit (73 superbug) and it was pulled from a 914
green 73' SB "kamakaze kermit"
yellow peg perego magica soon to be "mini kermit"

four little pistons beating them selves silly to turn out 40 horsepower

POP POW BANG "burns oil and backfires but it runs!!!"(o\0!0/o)
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dravin21 wrote:
have type4 want to install need a parts rundown so i can cram it in kermit (73 superbug) and it was pulled from a 914

There are a number of places to get that information. Here you will find three:
* here on the samba (search, baby, search)
* http://www.nextgen-usa.com/
* jake raby's site

Happy hunting.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72KYLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only problem I see with a 912/356 motor is that they aren't exatly growing on trees. Other than that I think thats a REALLY cool motor option. Very Happy

don't quote me on this, but I've heard that when you build up a type 1 it has a lot of reliablitity problems. Maybe not if you spend the money for really good parts, but still, who has that kind of money?

so it might just be cheaper to buy a bus with a type 4, yank the engine out of that, put the type 1 back into the bus, and sell it for a profit.

just my two cents though Razz
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want horsepower, you're gonna have to spend some money. Period.
Even if you got a type IV free, you'll end up spending real money converting it to upright cooling, custom exhaust, custom flywheels etc, etc.

A type one can be had for much less money, and you can gradually build it up. Add carbs, hot ignition, ratio rockers, headers.

I had a 914 2liter in my super and it was expensive. It was also a kick in the ass to drive. I also had an 1835 type one with dual Kads and a cam that was a whole lotta fun and less than half the price.

Come to think of it, I had a 1600 Dual port with a header and dual carbs and truly enjoyed that too. It was damn near free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72KYLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then again I'm not much for horspower. I just like cruising in the slow lane and letting all the crazies fly by. Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Hot VWs stating that a VW engine can be made to go faster and be more dependable than installing a Porsche engine, and a lot cheaper to boot.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i find more amusing is the porsche 911 owners that are replacing their engines for subarus Twisted Evil
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Porsche engine swap for type I Reply with quote

linearone wrote:
What is the best Porsche engine to swap into a VW beetle in terms of ease of swap? I was told the 80 HP vw914 engine drops right into place, no mods necessary, would a 911 engine fall into place without brain surgery?

I feel like if I were to buy another bug just to have a hot rod (I might) I wouldn't try to hot rod a 1600 block , rather Id swap an engine designed to do this from the factory.

Id love to just drop in a complete porsche engine.. what should I use?

Every time I go to a car show I have someone come up to me and tell me about their uncle who put a Porsche engine in his VW. They then proceed to tell me it would always pull the front wheels. Bolts right in....I usually just nod my head, say COOL, and WOW. Laughing Laughing
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Porsche engine swap for type I Reply with quote

linearone wrote:
What is the best Porsche engine to swap into a VW beetle in terms of ease of swap? I was told the 80 HP vw914 engine drops right into place, no mods necessary, would a 911 engine fall into place without brain surgery?

Calling a Type 4 engine a Porsche engine is a misnomer. (Ironically, you say "vw914 engine" later.) The 914 with the 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0 liter four-cylinder engine was called VW-Porsche everywhere but in the USA. The '76 912E was made for US sales only. Those stock engines are not Porsche engines.

None are drop-in. If you do a search on a Joe Cali conversion, you will see may nice sites to go to on how to simply and effectively make a Type 4 engine work in a big.

And, yes, it can get more sophisticated with 911 shrouds, horizontal cooling or Jake Raby's DTM cooling. Mine had the DTM, but the engine was already assembled and I had a professional do the install ... so I can't swear to its "ease of swap."

linearone wrote:
I feel like if I were to buy another bug just to have a hot rod (I might) I wouldn't try to hot rod a 1600 block , rather Id swap an engine designed to do this from the factory.

While I am a strong advocate for the Type 4 engine, there are plenty of good options using the 1600 as your base. However, be sure you are using quality parts (there is a lot of cheap crap available sucking people into believing a Type 1 engine is cheaper to build and maintain) and a quality engine builder if you are having someone else do it (there are a lot of hacks out there who have been twisting a wrench for 20-30 years and fancy themselves as experts).

Remember, the 914 and the 912E were built for cruising and handling. They did have more HP and useful torque than the standard 1600 Type 1 engine, but they were hardly "hot rod."

At this point, what's "best" comes down to your intentions. Other than ease of swap, you don't state that -- and obviously a Type 1 is easier to swap. In fact, you can just leave it in.
p0rschenut69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Best Porsche engine swap for type I Reply with quote

p0rschenut69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best Porsche engine swap for type I Reply with quote

For a Baja it's easy, the Type 4 Porsche engines bolt up and simply hangs out the back. You must use a Kennedy conversion 200mm Flywheel since the VW T4 Flywheels used in the Bus are too long (ask me how I know). The Porsche 914 Flywheels are even longer so they won't fit into the VW tranny either. Also, the engine is about 250 pounds all dressed so if rear engine mounts are NOT being used you should use a transmission strap kit to bether support / attach the tranny to the forks structure. Also, you should custom fabricate a doubler plate to strengthen the driver side top bell housing bolt hole out of steel that fits over the bolt hole and snugly covers the bell housing area or eventually the engine bell housing flange will crack since there is a factory inspection hole close to the mount bolt hole, as cast into the engine case, so it's week in this area. I will post a pic of the one I made. This is not needed if you adapt and weld the rear engine mount support bar to one of the rear Baja style rear engine cages available from specially suppliers.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Best Porsche engine swap for type I Reply with quote

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best Porsche engine swap for type I Reply with quote

Game over....

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: