Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'72 Super exhaust(ing) questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synchromesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

I have a fairly stock '72 Super. Only mods to the engine are dual Kadrons, electronic ignition and a stainless steel Empi GT exhaust (C13-3761). The latter actually took sometime to get right but I got it going well and it's not leaking/rusting which is important. Only issue I have with it - it's just too darn loud. It seems to flow just fine too with a strong pulse from both pipes but the sound is just too much. I need to swap out heater boxes soon so figured it would be a good time to do the exhaust since I'm taking it all apart.

So my question is: is there anything out there that flows well, fits stock cut out holes, doesn't rust (stainless steel or ceramic coating) AND makes noise comparable to stock exhaust or close? I've been looking at numerous threads but the answer seems to evade me.

I have been eyeing this one here: https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6064

But will it flow well? Being a stock exhaust all the way?
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/VW-Exhaust-systems-VW-Mufflers-c33931548

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Synchromesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

Those are a bit pricey. From the pics it also looks like they lack preheaters so I wouldn't be able to go back to the stock setup if need be, would I?
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

Synchromesh wrote:

I have been eyeing this one here: https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6064

But will it flow well? Being a stock exhaust all the way?

It will be quieter but as for flow it will probably be adequate for your engine probably not “optimal” but you will have to give to get. More money may get you both.
Synchromesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

db69 wrote:
It will be quieter but as for flow it will probably be adequate for your engine probably not “optimal” but you will have to give to get. More money may get you both.

Thanks. Any examples of both for more money?
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Sport-Muffler-155-203-05200-p/155-203-05200.htm

Same suggestion as above but has preheat option.
Usually more flow =louder
Not a lot of choices when it comes down to it. The ceramic stock version you posted would probably serve you well with a nearly stock engine.
Or you could just use https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Rattle-Trap-Sound-Deadener-80-mil-Nominal-Thick-p/rattle-trap-50.htm
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

Synchromesh wrote:
Those are a bit pricey. From the pics it also looks like they lack preheaters so I wouldn't be able to go back to the stock setup if need be, would I?

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/CLASSIC-SPORT-VW-BUG-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-p87513430

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

Sounds pretty much like stock to me:

Link

72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

I too have a 72 super beetle and I had EMPI exhaust that was too loud. My engine is a 1915 w/40 Dellorto carb so I need something other than stock...I went with the CSP exhaust and to me it's much quieter. You can get them with or with out heater setup...

Synchromesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:
I too have a 72 super beetle and I had EMPI exhaust that was too loud. My engine is a 1915 w/40 Dellorto carb so I need something other than stock...I went with the CSP exhaust and to me it's much quieter. You can get them with or with out heater setup...

That one looks good but the prices are a little high. I wish I could keep it under $300 but I guess that's not possible.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
Synchromesh wrote:

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/CLASSIC-SPORT-VW-BUG-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-p87513430

The heat risers on this does not work like stock. They're more decorative as they don't properly circulate the gasses thru the intake's heat riser, similar to how those cool empi GT exhausts have fake risers. The CSP one however DOES appear to have the proper construction with a dedicated left heat riser pipe flowing up from that place "where the exhaust manifolds meet" and the mufflers mount.

disclaimer: I've read that elsewhere on the forum, not an expert. I HAVE had the useless aforementioned GT exhaust, however.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bikelash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

I have the vintage speed and the heat risers work very well. (One of the reasons I bought them) They welded tubing inside of the risers to create a draw on one side and a push on the other. Real world experience (for me) works. Definitely a quality exhaust with excellent fitment.

64 baja sold
72 sb wrecked
69 baja sold
69 std sold
72 sb sold
54 std sold
74 sb-ongoing
88 westy-ongoing
Synchromesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

bikelash wrote:
I have the vintage speed and the heat risers work very well. (One of the reasons I bought them) They welded tubing inside of the risers to create a draw on one side and a push on the other. Real world experience (for me) works. Definitely a quality exhaust with excellent fitment.

At that price point I would expect everything about that exhaust to be excellent.

How's the noise? Is it much louder than stock? How's the flow? Thanks.
bikelash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super exhaust(ing) questions Reply with quote

Noise level is slightly higher than stock (I have the sport model). They do make a quieter model but I have no experience with that model. Not sure of the flow but seat of the pants experience feels similar to my old quiet pack header system.

64 baja sold
72 sb wrecked
69 baja sold
69 std sold
72 sb sold
54 std sold
74 sb-ongoing
88 westy-ongoing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: