Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fixing a 1600 with dropped valve
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

Thought I posted about this a while back but couldn't find it.
The 1600 in my ghia broke a valve. now I'm working on fixing it with out having to rebuild the whole engine. The head is toast, broken valve hit the seat and bent it. today I checked the deck height to see if it bent the rod, all 4 are within .002". Is this a good indication that the rod is not bent.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

The rod might be OK, but is the crank torqued? TDC might have moved for that cylinder if that throw on the crank was twisted back. What does that rod bearing look like?

Putting a fresh top end on an old bottom end is a great way to hasten the demise of the old bottom end. Your engine suffered a catastophic failure take it all apart and check EVERYTHING. Valves break because they are old, overheated, or worn out, what's the rest of the engine like?

brad
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

I would pull it a part and do it right.
The solution you suggested is what you would do if you were on the road somewhere, and needed to get home.
But I'd like to add that a OG or forged Piston may take the abuse and transfer the forces directly into the rod and crank.
A hypereutectic piston will simply shatter leaving you with 100's of pieces for your oil pump to find.

Last edited by ach60 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

Didn't want to tear it all the way down. But I know your right. For a budget build I guess I'm looking at new bearings, rings, exhast valves. and clean everything up.It's filthy and covered in sludge, even the #3&4 jugs fins are packed with sludge.(It was like that when I bought it)
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

Check the fit of your case halves at that bearing. A good pounding like that can deform it.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

got the jugs off,cleaned up, measure less than a thou taper. smooth as glass tho, so I'll do a light hone and new rings.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

before and after cleaning

just a little dirty

ouch. head no good.
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve,new pics Reply with quote

Bit blurry,
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

I get budget builds but am in the camp that top ends on unknown mileage bottom ends don't have a happy ending. You should at least pull the rods off and check the bearings on them. It will give you a better idea of how worn the engine is. For the amount of filth and oil, etc.. it probably has lots of miles on it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

An exercise in futility: broken valve + mangled head = bent rod.
Only a fool or flat-broke guy would re-ring that compromised piston.
If on a tight budget, just exchange the torqued crank for a regrind, replace the bent rod (or better yet - all 4), then alignbore the case & rebuild the entire engine.

stanthedog wrote:
...... today I checked the deck height to see if it bent the rod, all 4 are within .002". Is this a good indication that the rod is not bent.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

All of that....plus....good God....that is a greasy grimy case. You will never get that back together with that much leaked and baked on oil...and get cylinders to seal.

That and your pistons look oily and carbonized. I would trip it all the way down. Send the case out to be cleaned. Get a new or used head and have both rebuilt with new valves.

Clean the grooves in the pistons and clean the tops. Just for giggles...measure for collapsed skirts...measure the main bearings and crank.

If all is well....you will have the cost of two rebuilt heads, main, rod and cam bearings, some cleaning work and a gasket set.

Just from Aircooled.net without seraching all around:

Gasket set: German with flywheel seal $25

Stock rebuilt/rebushed, balanced with new nuts connecting rod set $129

Rod bearings $19.95
Cam Bearings $17.95
Crank Main bearings $39 to $45

Pushrod tubes 8 x$3 = $24

Stock dual port head complete new on Chinese castings $179..really just get two if I were you.

About $35 for basic cast iron rings.

So if the crank, cam, lifters and pistons check out...rering it and do a basic refurb...bearings and rods...and you can get away with about $650 in parts...say $700 with Tax and shipping...call it $750 total with bits and pieces.

Clean out the oil cooler...or personally I would replace it. Ray
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

The thing I notice about your engine is just how dirty and how much build up there is on everything. You want to get that all cleaned up even if you must use a toothbrush and mineral sprits on it to keep from getting any dirt inside the case if you don't split it and rebuild the bottom end too.
But Man that thing must have some miles on it to have that much build up. How worn out are the cylinders? They should be smooth without a ridge at the top and bottom of the piston stroke, If there is a wave or a ridge in the cylinder wall that you can feel then also get new pistons and cylinders for it.

Usually when a valve drops it goes right through the top of the piston. Were you the one driving when it happened? What Happened? How did it act?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

new crank, new case, new heads, new cylinders, new everything and you should be good to go...as long as it is all done wright.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

Is this the same engine that dropped a valve back in 2013? Engine failure-Fixed(edit). Did it drop another valve?
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

I was doing about 40 in 4th, then started clattering to beat hell, clutch in and key off instantly, rolled into a gas station. I could actually turn it all the way over by hand at first, thought it was something else at that point. But when I got it home and turned it over(by hand) it stopped. Knew I was boned at that point. Pic of piston top.

Rings are all nice and free. thought that was interesting.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

The same blown #2 cyl archived from 2013?

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:16 pm.
"Got the engine out, head off. I'm wondering if the piston and rod are OK, piston has a divit about 1/16" or so deep. head might be repairable. has a pretty good crater in it."

If so, appears it had been sick/dying for quite a while there, & was just waiting for the flowers Wink

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

One and the same. That's the bad one. other head is OK.
Picked up a used set of heads today. the guy tried removing the guides on one and cracked it. so I still have one.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

So looks like you went with a different bottom end back then to get it running and your now looking into salvaging this thing. It's hard to say what it did. I knew of a bus that was driven 2 years with a dropped valve, It went through the piston and was out of the way inside the crankcase it just kept running fine on 3 cylinders. But Yeah, I would not waste much money on new parts if your not going to do the bottom end. I've got a head I will donate!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

stanthedog wrote:
One and the same. That's the bad one. other head is OK.
Picked up a used set of heads today. the guy tried removing the guides on one and cracked it. so I still have one.

Not being pointy.....but Looking at that grimy hot running mess of an engine case.....that the other head is NOT....ok.

At least not enough in high mileage condition to run with new rings and a rebuilt head on the other side. Valves and Springs have a lifespan....seats too.

Now seeing that you have a battered piston in your wnd set of pics.....i would not reuse the pistons.

As mark Tucker noted.....really it would be simpler and waste less parts for more miles.....to just save the case and crank.....and "maybe" the cam....and rebuild it.

Just what is your budget?
Ray
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
stanthedog wrote:
but Looking at that grimy hot running mess of an engine case

Yes looking at that too. You know I think this engine being a 10mm stud engine may have a pulled stud so the heads were leaking oil and compression that caused that.
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: fixing a 1600 with dropped valve Reply with quote

Danwvw, I happened to have a new 2074 just laying around waiting for a car, so I was only down about 2 weeks. At this point, I'm going to split the case and at least put new bearings in it, then I can do a thorough checkout. As mark tucker showed-bearings are cheap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: