Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

87 Vanagon A/C Electrical Problem
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Melting fusable link Reply with quote

26kick wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hey there guys... I have an 87 Westy and I am in need of the #15 & #27 relays shown in the pic above (left & middle).

Where can I purchase them at online?

Thanks for your help.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find the actual part numbers for the relays and search via google. You can also look in the samba classifieds or find someone parting out a Vanagon.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got two of these items from Van Cafe.

The Evap Fan relay with the fuse block (I needed the block more than the relay; mine was crispy/melted):
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1735_559/air_conditioning_relay_board.html

They also have the A/C relay:
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/smartlist_564/relay.html
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LemonCove wrote:
I just got two of these items from Van Cafe.

The Evap Fan relay with the fuse block (I needed the block more than the relay; mine was crispy/melted):
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1735_559/air_conditioning_relay_board.html

They also have the A/C relay:
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/smartlist_564/relay.html

THANKS A TON!

Headed there now to place an order.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutohausAZ had one of them, the rest I had to resort to eBay for. I got lucky and found a NOS relay in Germany. The last one was salvaged.

You can also try your FNAPS - I just bought a new Sanden (OEM) AC compressor through Town& Country Auto Parts,Lansdale PA.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with AutohausAZ, Sanden or Town&Country save as a customer.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any other updates on this issue?

i still have the replacement parts in a box that i have yet had time to install... just curious to see how your systems are doing since the replacements.

thanks
Jonathan Waters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
If you have an amp meter you can see what the draw is at the fans, they should be 9-12 amps each if they are in good nick.

Do I need to Drop the AC Evaporator platform down
and test the amperage at the motors?

& Do I simply contact my amp meter
to the two motor wires, while they are running?

Thanks !!!
Jonathan Waters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Melting fusable link Reply with quote

[quote="HoustonPhotog"][quote="26kick"]
I am in need of the #15 & #27 relays shown in the pic above (left & middle).
quote]

What does the # 25 Relay do?
LFSchelin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: AC S51 20 amp fuses for Evaporator Fan Reply with quote

My AC stopped working so I pulled the rear D Panel off and low and behold the 2 20 amp fuses and their holders are "Smoked" So now I need to find holder replacements. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Lee Schelin
88 Vanagon Wolfsberg Weekender
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fix for this, I just ran an additional direct 'hot' lead from my alternator to the right hand side lead on the fusible link to help with the electrical load on my A/C fans. Seems to be working well. Wires still get hot, but not 'melty' hot. They did get 'melty hot' last week before I added the new wire. Didn't burn thru my original fusible link, but it looked pretty brittle and I replaced that too. Along with cleaning/sanding all the contact points.

Can anybody tell me (TK?) how many amps our rear a/c fans should be pulling? Reckon I'm gonna get an ammeter to test these sorts of things out. I'm sure my fans need lubrication - which they'll get eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thekaravan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Melting fusable link Reply with quote

26kick wrote:
Hi guys,

In my '90 Vanagon, I've got this problem as well:

Is all of this stuff just for the AC or does it control normal air flow as well?

I'm trying to pull out stuff I don't need in my van, the AC is gone and most of these ends weren't plugged into anything when I bought it...

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ All that in the back is for AC.

Climate control (etc) is all in the dash or under rear seat...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
thekaravan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome thank you!!
SambaHyena
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Replacing melted fuse holder Reply with quote

I have the same melted fuse holder. Can I replace it with any 50 amp inline fuse or circuit breaker, or is there something special about the stock fuse?

Also, does anybody think this issue is caused by people using the shelf behind the evaporator as storage? Blocking the vent would cause increase load on the fans, no?
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 87 Vanagon A/C Electrical Problem Reply with quote

My AC has been working great, until...

I no longer have evaporator fan speeds 1 - 2 - 3. High fan works fine but I don't run it on high much.

So I got in the back cabinet and was checking the fuses. All of them are good. But The wiring was hot on the AC relay and the relay itself. Hot enough that you could not hold on to it. It did not seem to change at any setting of the evaporator fans. But would cool down as soon as I turned off the AC switch. Right now there is no signs of insulation or plastic melting.

My 15A fuse #S12 is good and the fresh air fan is working.

I have never had an issue with the fan speeds. I don't want to run the system till I can locate the reason my wiring is getting so hot and track down my fan speed issues.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 87 Vanagon A/C Electrical Problem Reply with quote

IIRC there are two large resistors on plastic standoffs up in the housing that is under the rear blower motors. Could they be going bad? Not sure how to check them though and I am not knowledgeable on how they interact with the fan speeds.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 87 Vanagon A/C Electrical Problem Reply with quote

Yes, I am not sure either. Those are a POS to get to it looks like also! Shocked

I have the Bentley out and am looking at 97.140-97.142

But reading and understanding wiring diagrams and relays has never been my strong suit. Embarassed

It is just interesting that I have lost all (3)three lower speeds when they look to be on different circuits?
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 87 Vanagon A/C Electrical Problem Reply with quote

Fan speeds 1, 2 operate independently from the a/c relay. Fan speed 3 energizes the relay at current track 9 and the relay switch closes at current track 10 sending power to the resister bank for speed 3. Speed 3 and 4 are powered from the 50 amp fuse at current track 5 and 1, 2 and and the relay coil for 3 and 4 from fuse S12 at current track 3. I think from what you are describing I would start looking at the resister bank too. My scribbles on the diagram are not related to your situation.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 87 Vanagon A/C Electrical Problem Reply with quote

This topic reminds me that the AC in my '87 doesn't function at all. I looked under the dash, pulled every fuse and checked each with continuity tester when I got the rig in October. They are all fine. I am not yet to the part where I get any action at all with any controls, so I have just the very start of all this other stuff up to this point in the thread.

Where to start looking? I do have refrigerant in the system, but not sure how much pressure (don't need to ask how I know) Would low pressure cause the entire system to not work, or do things like fan, compressor, etc try to start with low pressure anyway?

Thanks
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 87 Vanagon A/C Electrical Problem Reply with quote

I have been doing some Samba searches and came up with this:

Wanderingman wrote:
gmasterv wrote:
Howdy, don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a somewhat similiar question and looks like you where done!

I have an 88 GL with Air and everything works pretty good, but recently the fan switch stopped blowing air on anything but the very highest (4) setting. You may wonder why I would ever want anything lower than 4 in TN but with my daughter in the back she can't stand the noise after a while and could really use number 3 again!

I can tell the compressor is still running b/c I can hear the radiator still running when it's on 1-3, but the fan only blows on 4.

Any suggestions as to what relay switch controlls the fan (the A/C fan itself, not the radiator fan) that I might try to replace?

Thanks in advance!

I had the same problem and got some great advice on here. Replaced the switch(controls speeds 1 & 2) and the A/C System Relay(part # 171-959-141a) at the back pillar(pin 6 controls speed 3). Pin 8 on the Evap Fan Relay controls speed 4. I got my switch at Van-Cafe.com($10.95). Shop around on the internet for the relay, as my local VW dealer tried to charge me $120 dollars for it!!! I got mine at FCPEuro.com for under $15.00 including shipping. It is made in China(I didn't find out until after the fact), but they gave me a lifetime guarantee on it so I decided to keep it. Van-Cafe also has them for $32.00 plus shipping.

I have already taken the fan speed switch apart and cleaned/lubed the contacts. Still a no go. Testing the pins, it works fine. So I have ordered the A/C System Relay. While I am waiting I have replaced the R/Red 10ga wire coming from the alternator to the 50amp terminal. I am also going to replace the R/BL wire to the AC Compressor Clutch. Both of these wires were hot to the touch.

Farf,

Is this resistor bank the two that are up by the evaporator blower motors? Please tell me it is not so! Shocked Could both of them go bad at the same time and cause this issue? Like I said, reading and understanding wiring diagrams are a challenge for me with resistors and relays. I have much to learn. Wink

Thanks for the comments.

EDIT: Just to make sure you know my issues, everything works as long as speed #4 is used. If I set it on 3 - 2 or 1 there is no evaporator fan at all, yet the radiator fan works and so does the A/C compressor on all speeds. My problem is the evaporator fans do not work on 3 - 2 - 1.

Last edited by Syncro Jael on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: