Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Incredible savings on a Syncro Transmission Rebuild!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grizzly_black
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Incredible savings on a Syncro Transmission Rebuild! Reply with quote

I am in the process of converting my Syncro to TDI power and needed to have my tranny rebuilt and taller 3rd and 4th gears. I was ready to send it off to the west coast and pay around $3800 when a Samba regular Dogpilot suggested Arizona Transaxle Exchange.

If I am not mistaken, Dogpilot had his rebuilt by the guys at Arizona and was more than satisfied.

I called bill at Arizona Transaxle exchange and asked him what he would charge for a normal rebuild. I was surprised when he quoted me $1000 for a Syncro!

He explained to me that if the ring/pinion was bad it would be more but if all was OK then it would be $1000.00

At the time I was installing a rebuilt WBXR in a friends Syncro and told him about the deal. A week later we were both building crates to ship our trannys down to Bill in AZ. Two weeks later my friends was done and the total price was as quoted $1000.00 I installed the engine and tranny and couldn't be more pleased with the work that AZ transaxle did. Comparing the work that was quoted to me on the phone with two other well known rebuilders, AZ transaxle went above and beyond and delivered it at a price that is unheard of in the inflated Syncro market.

That is only the beginning!

My transmission was a different story. I had a Ring/pinion that was questionable and bill didn't feel right using it in the rebuild. My main shaft was also worn badly where the needle bearings ride. Bill sent the parts to me to have me inspect them so I could decide for myself if I wanted to reuse the parts. He did advise me strongly not to waste my money and his time though.

After I decided that the parts were not worth reusing Bill proceeded to find the best price he could on NEW parts. I look for R/P gears and my best quote was $900 for a used set. and $500 for a used main shaft. After a month or so Bill called me and said he found a brand new R/P set and the best part was that it was only $735. He also found a new main shaft and charged me $200.

When I first spoke to Bill on the phone he quoted me $300/ gear set for the taller third and fourth. When He tried to buy the gears from Weddle they told him that Lucas at GoWesty bought every last gear set they had. Bill called up Lucas and explained that he had spoke with Weddle about purchasing the 3rd and 4th sets and that they made a mistake and sold my gears to Lucas. Business is Business so Lucas sold the gears to Bill for $100 more than he could have bought them from Weddle. Bill called me up and explained what had happened and told me that he wasn't going to charge me the extra $$ that GoWesty charged him. He also told me that he bought the South African splash plates that direct the oil over critical areas in the tranny and would help it to last longer. He gave me the option of installing them and sold them to me for what he paid. ($70)

The grand total for all that AZ transaxle did was $2750.00

That is over $1000 less than what I was quoted from others and his customer service has been unbelievably over the top!!!

I had put aside the $3800 for the rebuild and was soooo excited that Bill helped me out in sooo many ways that I had him install a decoupler from Long Enterprises. Now I am up to the original $3800 that I thought I would be spending. Very Happy

Sorry for such a long winded post but I thought that other Vanagon nuts would appreciate the info. I didn't think it would do Bill and the guys at AZ Transaxle justice if I just said they were good to work with and had a good price.

Oh, did I mention Bill has over 25 years of experience in rebuilding VW transaxles?

Bill's shop does a lot of custom Race transmissions and tricked out dune buggy stuff so with the economy in a slump people aren't spending much time building race cars and dune buggys with all of there spare cash.

I thought I could help both sides out. Maybe some not so wealthy Vanagon owners can get back on the road for a decent price and Bill can keep his shop going through slow times. Look him up on the internet and give him a call if you are looking to get a 2WD or a Syncro rebuilt!

I also wanted to thank Dogpilot again for the recommendation! I wouldn't have been able to complete my project with out the guys at AZ Transaxle, so thanks for the tip!

I hope to get things organized so that I can document my TDI conversion and post it soon.

Cheers!
Grizz
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, That's a great deal. I paid well over a grand for mine at VC. It was a AA transaxle rebuild and I'm happy with it but did have a few small problems to sort out after the install. Peter at VC offered to deal with them which was more than fair so I can't complain. Still, $1K is great.
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, Bill is indeed a great guy. I became very disillusioned with some of the other re-builders of note when I compared prices and lead times. He has a nice shop that if your driving to PHX, is easy to get to. He really does do a volume of racing trannies. He did my front locking differential conversion for a fraction of what the others quoted and did it in 1/6 the time.

We should support all the vendors that support us, Bill is one I am fond of and deserves recognition.

I am happy that your happy Grizzly. It is always a risk to recommend something to others as your experience may vary, but I certainly felt strongly about this one.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

Last edited by HeftySmurf on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grizzly_black
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can send it to them and Bill suggest a well built crate for shipping but call him up and he can fill you in on what he suggest.

Here is a his web site:

http://www.aztransaxle.com/

Grizz
Grizzly_black
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike Z,

I noticed you are in Michigan. I spent the first 17 years of my life in the Great Lakes State. I miss the water but not the lack of sunshine in the winter. Crying or Very sad

I was there this summer though and we had a full week of sun at the beach.

Good luck with the Syncro!

Grizz
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

Last edited by HeftySmurf on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
JiMz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that long winded great advertisement. I am thankfull for that cause I am looking to get my syncro tranny rebuild.
Peace
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, if you want to sell the syncro before you move to Alaska let me know.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but no thanks bro, the Syncro is my ticket out of this hell hole.... My girlfriend often worries if the Van is more loved than her Wink Where in Detroit are you? I dont see many Vanagons around... I have only had mine about 5 months, but have become quite obcessed with it. I see my self in the future have like three in my garage...LOL
BTW Did you pick up that one from Harrisin Township that was going for $1500? I wouldve been a good parts van... THe kid started at $4500! And it didnt even run and it was a bit rusty!
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Bloomfield Hills. Only here for another 8 months while I finish grad school. Then I'm outta here. I thought about the one over in Harrison for a while, but I wouldnt have paid more $500-$600 for it. The fact that it didnt run wasnt a big deal, but the rust I didnt want to deal with. I've had up to 3 at one point (4 if you count my brothers which has been in my garage for years), but I'm back down to one right now (and its a bit of a heap, but its going on a 600 mile trip this weekend).
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Arizona Transaxle Exchange offer any sort of warranty?

-Rob
Grizzly_black
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill will stand behind his work.

The good customer service continues. Today Bill called me to see if I wanted to use a third gear set that was installed but never used because the guy changed his mind. I was having a 0.70 fourth and a 0.14 third installed but running through the gear ratios and tire size Bill thought the 0.17 gear would be a better transition from 2nd to fourth. The best part about the phone call was that he is giving me the 0.17 third gear set for half price! He just save me another $150.00

Grizz
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grizzly_black wrote:
Bill will stand behind his work.

The good customer service continues. Today Bill called me to see if I wanted to use a third gear set that was installed but never used because the guy changed his mind. I was having a 0.70 fourth and a 0.14 third installed but running through the gear ratios and tire size Bill thought the 0.17 gear would be a better transition from 2nd to fourth. The best part about the phone call was that he is giving me the 0.17 third gear set for half price! He just save me another $150.00

Grizz

The 1.14 and .70 combo is as good as it gets for a TDI. (A 1.12 may be more 'perfect) I spent hours on the calculations one night with customer (m-TDI conversion) looking over my shoulder, we saw clearly that the 1.14 would be spot on, and it was when we drove it. I think it you go a 1.17/1.18 third you'll find the 3-4 gear change a little too much drop, savings or not.

BTW, to properly rebuild a Syncro tranny will all bearings and synchronizer rings, parts alone are over $800. Add oiling plates (necessary with a TDI or any other hi-torque engine) and labor, and suddenly one can see there have to be some corners rounded at some point to be an inexpensive rebuild.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grizzly_black
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the advise!

I will call Bill Monday and see what he says. When we ran the numbers on his computer there was only one mph difference between the 1.14 and 1.17 third. I will check with him on Monday and let him know what you said.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly_black on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Grizzly_black
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Karl,

I was playing around on the gear calculator that Derek Drew made and it looks like the 1.17 third is exactly in the middle of 2nd and fourth as far as RPM drop when shifting up. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 3500 RPMs it will drop to approx. 2200-2250 RPMs. and the same when shifting fro 3rd to 4th.

For the 1.14 third it showing that the shifting from 2nd to 3rd thr RPMs will drop down to around 2000-2100 RPMs and shifting from 3rd to 4th the RPMs will drop down to around 2300-2350.

On Derek's gear calculator it looks like the 1.17 is a more even transition from 2nd to 4th.

I haven't had the experience to actually drive both combos though so now you have me thinking. Confused

For now I am going to run the TDI stock w/o a chip or new injectors but later plan to go with that type of upgrade.

I welcome and respect your opinion so feel free to tell me like it is! I am spending more than I should on this project and want to make sure I am doing it right!

Grizz
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grizzly_black wrote:
Hey Karl,

I was playing around on the gear calculator that Derek Drew made and it looks like the 1.17 third is exactly in the middle of 2nd and fourth as far as RPM drop when shifting up. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 3500 RPMs it will drop to approx. 2200-2250 RPMs. and the same when shifting fro 3rd to 4th.

For the 1.14 third it showing that the shifting from 2nd to 3rd thr RPMs will drop down to around 2000-2100 RPMs and shifting from 3rd to 4th the RPMs will drop down to around 2300-2350.

On Derek's gear calculator it looks like the 1.17 is a more even transition from 2nd to 4th.

I haven't had the experience to actually drive both combos though so now you have me thinking. Confused

For now I am going to run the TDI stock w/o a chip or new injectors but later plan to go with that type of upgrade.

I welcome and respect your opinion so feel free to tell me like it is! I am spending more than I should on this project and want to make sure I am doing it right!

Grizz

I use Derek's calculator also. I don't have the numbers here any more, but the 1.14 came out the winner in our calculations. The feedback I got from the customer is that the 1.14 is spot-on, as perfect drop as you can get. I drove it the first 10 miles with him in the passenger seat, and agreed. Hans at Vanaru has been doing some 2.5 Subies this way also and feels the same, that it's close to perfect.

You actually want fourth a little closer to third the the relationship of third to second, because the engine will be pulling more load. It would be good if you could find a van already geared with the 1.17 to test drive. I did one a few years back with 1.08 and .70, stock size tires, and it was good also but the jump from second a bit more noticeable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grizzly_black
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Karl!

I call Bill Monday and let him know I do not want the 1.17 third.

One more question, if you don't mind.

I bought my conversion stuff from a guy in California and the flywheel that came with it isn't like the old Vanagon diesel flywheel that had the bearings in the flywheel instead of the crank. Do I have the longer input shaft like the original that works with the WBXR, or do I use the short shaft that was used on the old diesels?

Thanks again!
Grizz
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grizzly_black wrote:

I bought my conversion stuff from a guy in California and the flywheel that came with it isn't like the old Vanagon diesel flywheel that had the bearings in the flywheel instead of the crank. Do I have the longer input shaft like the original that works with the WBXR, or do I use the short shaft that was used on the old diesels?
Grizz

The Vanagon diesel never had the pilot bearing in the flywheel. You must be thinking of something else? All inline VW's have the pilot bearing in the crankshaft. If you're going to use the TDI flywheel (recommended) there are a few things to do: 1), use a wbx HD disc 2) on the TDI pressure plate, bend in flush the 2 tabs that stick out 3) Transfer a timing mark to the pressure plate 225mm (I think that's correct?) counter-clockwise (as viewing the flwheel/clutch assembly) from the original mark of the flywheel 4) there will be one small spot to grind inside the diesel bell housing where the clutch might hit, it's a corner of the corss-shaft support bushing. Input shaft: you should be using the diesel one, or a wbx one shortened 10mm.
Grizzly_black
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Vanagon Diesel Bell housing. Sounds crazy but I will need to check with Thomas (the guy I bought the stuff from) what fly wheel I am using. I think it is from a European TD though. Thomas gets all of his stuff from Germany, so it is probably from a European TD. The clutch is a SACHs for a Vanagon TD. Not good?

Grizz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: