Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hawaii Info wanted please!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1500vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Hawaii Info wanted please! Reply with quote

Hi all

MY girlfriend and i are looking at coming out to hawaii in feb for 10-14 nights, where is best to go? whats the weather like that time of year? surf? anywhere i can rent a boat or jet skis? which island is best? i dont like touristy stuff really, i want to swim, dive, snorkel, chillout and get a sun tan. Oh and if i could meet some hawaian vw owners that would be kool.

All help is appreciated

Thanks Ian
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Kauai, but i've never been anywhere else in Hawaii - it's a little more expensive to get too and it is known as being "less" touristy, so at least you will be surrounded by tourists looking for that "less" touristy feel Smile

10 days is enough time to get good feel for the island. 14 days and you may get bored if you want not non-stop new things to explore. It is a good island to chillout at. Not much nightlife, mainly "hangout" bars and restaraunts.

Being a northern island, it gets more rough seas and wet weather on the north side than the other islands - the east coast and the south coast are the better places to find sunshine in the winter on all the islands, i think...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be in Off Topic.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kona on the big island. Parasailing, snokeling, diving, just not many "beaches" just some black sand ones. You may be able to get a direct flight and you don't have to deal with the crap in Waikiki.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
spoon
Samba Penetrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawaii Info wanted please! Reply with quote

1500vw wrote:
Where is best to go?

Whatever you do, rent a car and check out the visitors bureau. Stay away from those stupid ass tour groups. What island are you planning on visiting?

1500vw wrote:
What's the weather like that time of year?

Warm and windy.

1500vw wrote:
Surf?

Lots. But be courteous and make sure to ask around for a tourist friendly spot. I cannot give you much advice as far as this goes because I was never a surfer. Bringing some good ganja with you to share should help out alot. Brush up on your reggae music.

1500vw wrote:
Anywhere i can rent a boat or jet skis?

Not dat I know of. Hawaiians like fo keep deya wataz clean and unpolluted/undisturbed. Maybe you like go snorkle instead?

1500vw wrote:
Which island is best?

Any island with a Zippy's on it! Very Happy

EverettB wrote:
Type 3 > Type 1
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't beat Maui for the relaxing, friendly vibe. Take a helo ride over the east end, drive to the northwest past Kapalua for great snorkling, and east (fantastic all day drive) to Hana, walk around Paia, catch sunrise at Haleakala, and don't miss lunch or dinner at Mama's Fish House.

If you want even more activities, try the Big Island.

Last edited by KTPhil on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:38 am; edited 2 times in total
spoon
Samba Penetrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Phil said. If you want more "americanized" head to Oahu. And crap... the big island is where Kilauea is! The Earth's most active volcano has got to be one site to see man!

EverettB wrote:
Type 3 > Type 1
Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i dont like touristy stuff really

Well the number one money maker there is tourism, so good luck with that.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - Gen George S. Patton
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Oahu, Rent a car and go towards the North Shore. You can see places like China Man's hat, Sacred Falls and the Dole Plantation. Stop and have some shaved ice on the north shore and have some lunch at one of the many local joints. For snorkeling, i think Hana ma Bay is a good choice but can be a bit crowded. Of course Waikiki in the evenings is a cool place to be and do some shopping. The Wave is a local dance club with decent music and a mix crowd. If you decide to do something dressy, take in the Legends in Concert show. Go check out the big North Shore surf at several beaches and take time to go check out Sandy Beach to see the waves mess up tourist. These are some of the Oahu attractions, if you get a chance and can afford it, go to any of the other islands to get away from the commercialized Hawaii. The Big island (Hawaii) and Maui are somewhat tourist driven, but nothing like Oahu. Oh, one more thing, take in the Arizona Memorial tour if possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DraginInk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui is CLOSED!

Wink nah....
Plenty to do around here.

The surf should be good in Feb. but crowds are a reality...damn it. The known spots like Honolua Bay, Ho'okipa etc. can get very intense even. Know what you are getting into before venturing out at some of these spots... You could get hurt in more ways then one. North Shore of Oahu is still worse though.

Phil nailed Maui pretty good.

Tourism has been way down in the past few months so you may be able to find some good deals on rooms, cars and such. Shop around and ASK for deals. I'd suggest finding a condo or house rental so you're not eating out every meal too... but as has been said DON'T miss eating at Mama's Fish House for a wonderful dining experience (bring a fat wallet for this one).

Oh, it'll be whale season too.... plan a day trip on a boat for sure! Stay away from "Pacific Whale Foundations" crap though... they're full of shit and run what we call cattle boats, they treat folks like cattle and the money they say helps...does... the owners wallets... not the whales as they would have you believe.

All that said, I like Kauai.

...and last but not least... buy LOTS of T-shirts while you're here damn it!

Aloha HBB & Mr. Wolfe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hanapaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Oahu you have tons of activities to do. You can even rent a dune buggy for a day and cruise around the island. Here's a link ( www.dbahawaii.com )
There's a few jet ski and charter boat rentals on the north shore and lots of nice places around the island to swim, snorkel, para cell, eat or just relax. You can even rent horses and cruise along the beach. On the first Sunday of every February we have the pro bowl at the Aloha stadium and during that week there's lots of stuff going on in Waikiki and other places with all of the players ( clubs, malls, etc...). And that's just to name a few. We also have the Aloha Flea Market at the Aloha Stadium every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. You will save tons of money doing all of your shopping there for all of your family and friends back home. Anything and everything "HAWAII" you would find it there for dirt cheap. It's the same people selling the same stuff in Waikiki, only for way less.
What ever island you decide on, you will not be disappointed. It's summer all year 'round. And don't forget your sun screen!!!
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you like Spam! Would you like rice or fries with that? Grew up on Oahu back in the 50's and 60's. Sure do miss it......
Primo Beer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oahu More things to do on(night life) / better surf

Surfing North shore will be end of winter surf season 10-15 foot sometime 20's(better be a good surfer)

west shore wrap around surf 5-9 foot(lots of locals)

south shore 3-7 foot wrap around surf(crowded as hell)

all depends on what you looking for

Molokai is cool to visit very rural(2 days top)

Big island (Hawaii) is a good place to visit active volcano/ largest cattle ranch in America
spoon
Samba Penetrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primo Beer wrote:

Isn't that where all the Lepurs are?

EverettB wrote:
Type 3 > Type 1
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoon wrote:
Primo Beer wrote:

Isn't that where all the Lepurs are?

Yep. But haven't you heard? It's controlled now and totally not contagious. They actually give tours to Kalaupapa. Never been, but I'd imagine it's pretty interesting. And yeah, Moloka'i is great...as long as you're not white. Laughing If you do visit, stay on the west end. The east-side folks don't like "outsiders" much.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For "little touristy" activities on Maui, there is old Lahaina shops and good nightlife, and (not sure if it is still running) a play called 'Ulalena that is actually pretty cool. Hawai'ian shave ice is simple but fantastically refreshing.

When I win the lottery, my wife and I are moving to Maui and will run a dog rescue ranch and farm. Oh, and I'll fix old VWs. A splitty to transport them about, of course. Anyone got some good numbers?
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

When I win the lottery, my wife and I are moving to Maui and will run a dog rescue ranch and farm. Oh, and I'll fix old VWs. A splitty to transport them about, of course. Anyone got some good numbers?

Mau'i. It' better be a BIG lottery....oh, and get in line. Me first.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shave ice, not shaved ice
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusty57 wrote:
If you go to Oahu, Rent a car and go towards the North Shore. You can see places like China Man's hat, Sacred Falls and the Dole Plantation. Stop and have some shaved ice on the north shore and have some lunch at one of the many local joints. For snorkeling, i think Hana ma Bay is a good choice but can be a bit crowded. Of course Waikiki in the evenings is a cool place to be and do some shopping. The Wave is a local dance club with decent music and a mix crowd. If you decide to do something dressy, take in the Legends in Concert show. Go check out the big North Shore surf at several beaches and take time to go check out Sandy Beach to see the waves mess up tourist. These are some of the Oahu attractions, if you get a chance and can afford it, go to any of the other islands to get away from the commercialized Hawaii. The Big island (Hawaii) and Maui are somewhat tourist driven, but nothing like Oahu. Oh, one more thing, take in the Arizona Memorial tour if possible.

pretty sure the wave closed down. I liked that club, anyone know of similar clubs that are haole friendly? I tried to get in a reggae club last time, it didnt work out so well. I wasnt their to try to take their ladies, just wanted to drink and hear some good reggae
Primo Beer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wave has been closed for couple years now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: