Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hawaii Info wanted please!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fritter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went on my honeymoon to Hawaii in '04, a week on the Big Island and a week on Oahu.

Oahu was cool because we had never been, and we got to see the Arizona memorial/USS Missouri (must see things), Waikiki, etc. We stayed in the pink hotel, the Royal Hawaiian. Overall, it was good to see once but sometimes I felt like I was on Michigan Avenue in Chicago, meaning, very commercialized. I don't think I'd choose to go back to Oahu.

The Big Island was VERY COOL! We rented a Jeep and drove that sucker everywhere the rental company said NOT to go, meaning, the E-W Saddle Road that bisects the island and connects Kona to Hilo, and we also drove on the road to the southernmost tip of the island. Such variety......we stayed at the Four Seasons in Kona and that side is kinda barren, lava fields, etc....then you go to the Hilo side and it's like a tropical rain forest. Many different colored sand beaches to visit. They have a CATTLE RANCH with cowboys too, for god's sake. And, we drove the jeep up the mountain to try to see the telescope, but they stopped us at 10K feet because of TOO MUCH SNOW. Keep in mind, this was only an hour from the Kona beach!

In the end, we ran out of time on the big island and didn't even see the volcano up close!

So, you can see where my vote lies......big island all the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Yes, the "Big Island" is very diverse. Desert-like lava on one side, rain forest on the other; high plateau in between. The active volcano to the south and the non-active volcano in between. Not many good beaches but there are a few on the Kailua-Kona side. But it has some of the BEST scuba diving in the world IMO outside of Kona coast. Kona is also known for it fishing. The volvano peaks create a huge lee from the trade winds, resulting in an ocean that is flat as glass under normal conditions. That combined with the quick drop off underwater to unbelievable open ocean depths creates the ideal conditions for HUGE marlin and large schools of tuna.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Castagnetti Ohana Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Big Island info Reply with quote

Howzit! I know you said 2 weeks so here is some overall info to check out.

The general VW scene is still great. Drag Racing: go to islandracer.com for the race schedules, vids and pics. Maui has posted their 09 schedule, Kauai and Hilo have not, however we all kick off the race season in the middle of Feb. Check out vwclubof hawaii.com for swap meets and cruises; and bigislandvws for the monthly meetings at Bears in Hilo and I think at the Kona K-Mart for dates and times. On Oahu, there is a car rental business that rents out dunebuggies so you can cruise around on your own.

However, I'm in Hilo so we'll start here. Like others said, Feb will give you a chance to check out many environments in one place. Check out harpershawaii.com as they are the only vehicle rental agency that lets you get to the mountains, (officially! lol) which should have snow...we got some light coverage 2 weeks ago! They are in Keaukaha which is 5 minutes from the airport Hit Ken's House of Pancakes, open 27 hours for any meal, Big Island Candies for ono (delicious) but kinds pricy short bread mac nut chocolate dipped cookies, L&L Drive-In for a plate lunch. Yup, we get Wal-Mart, Safeway and McDonalds, so no worries. Hit the Farmers Market on Wed or Sat for great fruit and vegetables for cheap.

Our beaches are cool, but not soft white sand kine. You can drive the island, so plan a route and places to stay. If you go north, stop in Waimea..Parker Ranch for everything cowbay related. Our paniolo are world famous and skilled ranch workers. Continuing towards Kona, Hapuna beach is beautiful and white sands. Queen Kaahumanu highway can be a royal pain..widening and construction so plan accordingly. Sometimes it's duck soup, sometimes its a slow mailnalnd crawl. Kona is awesome, but more expensive compared to Hilo.

Continuing south, go to Kalae in Ka'u, "Southpoint" is the southernmost point in the USA and beautiful. Check out the 30-50 foot cliffs we can jump from, fish from of climb down to our boats....

Volcanoes National Park will give you a view of the longest active eruption, sicne 1983. Eat dinner at Kileauea Lodge, reservations needed and about $150-ish will cover pupus, dinner and a couple drinks. You won't be disappointed.

OK, Saddle Road. It connects Hilo and Kona sides, is being paved/widened and might even be done when you get here. It is beautiful to drive but please, stay the speed limit and let the a$$holes go by. You do NOT want to wreck into the lava fields. Remember you'll go from sea level to about 6500' in about 45 minutes, then up Mauna Kea access road to the observation house for 30 minutes or so. If the summit is open, its about 13000' plus change. But spectacular.

Anything specific, write back and I'll see what I can answer.

Aloha, Frank
bumbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

molokai for cowboys, oahu for tourists, maui for white sand beaches, it doesn't matter which island, its all paradise, just remember your a visitor, bring money to boost island economy, don't be stingy or rude, lose any attitude, if you want something,don't be in a rush. your on hawaiian time. relax, everything will get done in time. learn to live life, dont stomp and shove your way through. used to be cottages on maui few years back called maui lau resort. across the street was the ocean and the beaches were amazing
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Big Island info Reply with quote

Castagnetti Ohana Racing wrote:

Continuing south, go to Kalae in Ka'u, "Southpoint" is the southernmost point in the USA and beautiful. Check out the 30-50 foot cliffs we can jump from, fish from of climb down to our boats....

Aloha, Frank

Southpoint was awesome - the road there is pretty rough.

Also on the Big Island go up Mauna Kea. It's apparently artic conditions up there and people ski. I wish we could have gone up.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
DraginInk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumbill wrote:
molokai for cowboys, oahu for tourists, maui for white sand beaches, it doesn't matter which island, its all paradise, just remember your a visitor, bring money to boost island economy, don't be stingy or rude, lose any attitude, if you want something,don't be in a rush. your on hawaiian time. relax, everything will get done in time. learn to live life, dont stomp and shove your way through. used to be cottages on maui few years back called maui lau resort. across the street was the ocean and the beaches were amazing

Sad news. I heard last week... The Maui Lu is pau or soon to be... looks like more condos or timeshares Rolling Eyes

Good advice about Hawaiian time... "Slow down, this ain't the mainland" Wink

Aloha HBB & Mr. Wolfe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly, this is the most recent thread on this topic. I have relatives on the Big Island I plan to visit in January, and am looking to flesh out the itinerary. I've never been to Oahu, so I thought I would connect through there and see the Memorial; any other suggestions for that island?

They live in Kailua-Kona, bike-riding distance to the coast. I was thinking of renting a VW camper to give them a break from my annoying self. We did it on Maui several years ago, and loved it. But when I Googled it, I got some forum entries saying don't do it these days, thieving meth-heads and angry locals have made it ugly. Any suggestions for safe yet interesting camping spots, or other activities?
ssx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised I never saw this thread in 2008! Anyway, like anywhere else crime is getting worse here due to "meth" and other drugs. Also the homeless population has exploded in the last few years...needless to say, camping alone in certain areas may not be a good idea. Kilauea volcano is not only active, but actively making its way through and destroying Pahoa town...I would recommend staying away from the east side of the Big Island until things settle down.
Most good camping spots now require a permit. As for day treks...Waipio Valley is majestic, but rental companies don't allow you to drive down. Pololu valley in Kohala is beautiful also and if you are up to the hike it's worth it. Do not swim there though...crazy rip currents a co-worker of mine risked his life to save a family of 5 there last year. Kahalu'u beach in Kona always has surf lessons going on. Also in south Kona, Kona Boys Kayak rentals is run by a cool VW guy named Iwa. He has a bunch of VW's including a Manx, DC and a SC with a trailer that he uses for his business. Helicopter tours of the valleys are awesome... The VW scene is coming back strong on the Big Island too... Big Island VW club based in Kona and VW Pickers Ohana based in Hilo. I'm pretty sure BIVW club meets the first Friday of every month at the Kona Macy's parking lot around 6pm or so...
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The islands are beautiful - all of them. I spent almost 4 years stationed at Hickam AFB, HI in the 80's.
On a side note - Which one of you kamaainas have my old 55 bug? I had in Hawaii and took it back to Edwards AFB where a guy from Hawaii bought/took her back home (she was black with semi's)
I think the kamaaina's (native hawaiians) here can verify to we haole's (tourist and worse) if what I say still holds.

1. Don't use your car horn as a greeting/attention getter - it's considered offensive.
2. "Shaka" - sticking out your little finger and thumb with the other fingers turned to your palm is a form of welcome.
3. Everybody is a Brah "Hey brah. whats up" - akin to "bro".
4. Pidgin is the unofficial Hawaiian language/slang. "Come stay" is different from "Stay come". You can get a dictionary on it.
5. You have to get a couple manapua's (a steamed cooked role - looks white - with red sweet pork inside) - a bag of them is like a bag of White Castles and perfect for the beach.
6. If you get stung by a jellyfish - pee on the wound. Hey - I didn't come up with that - the acidity? of the urine counteracts the poison. If you are too shy just carry a small bunch of cotton balls soaked in ammonia and swab the wound.
7. On Ohahu it's the Pauli (Paul ee) highway and the Like Like Highway - that's pronounced the leeky leeky highway not the like like Highway.
8. DONT pick any pinapples out of a cultivated field (Del Monte and those guys dont like that and they will be happy to fine you) but there are plenty of fruits if you go hiking in the "jungle" just follow your nose.
If I'm wrong on any of this - can one of the kamaainas jump in and correct or add to the list? Maholo (thanks)!
Aloha (Both hello and goodby),
Dave (Kavika)
LowType2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui had plenty to do. My fav was Molokini

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molokini

I'll go back one day Cool
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. We leave Monday, not a moment too soon. Looks like the part of the trip on Oahu, except for the visit to the Memorial, will be spent at the North Shore. Any recommendations for sights and eating there? Shrimp trucks sound great, any specific ones anyone knows about?

My niece lives on the Big Island, and can help out there, but she's a vegetarian, so I'll need help on restaurants. Laughing

We probably need to do a luau, anyone know one that's more relaxed and authentic and not kitschy?
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I LOVED Haleiwa Joe's. They sunset from the lanai is awesome and then a walk on the beach where the turtles come up to chill is cool. They have killer prime rib, but there seafood is to die for. If you like Ahi, they make a mean Ahi salad and order it with Wasabi ranch! http://www.haleiwajoes.com, that's their web address.

Another place that we never made it to, but heated raves about was Nico's pier 38. http://nicospier38.com They buy all their fish fresh at the market each day. That's down in Honolulu.

ANo if you are a sucker for Pineapple. The dole plantation is a huge tourist trap. But if you walk in and go straight to the cafe, they've got pineapple floats. Pineapple soft serve in fresh pineapple juice. (Somehow they still manage to run out of juice in the late afternoons).

Enjoy the island. I lived there for a year, and it was the best year ever!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: