Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window Roofrack Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwcanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

el Mao wrote:
Thank you all.
vwcanuck, yes the small ones are 3/4" pipe. I think a 1" or 1.25" pipe would be great too.

Thanks el Mao.
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who has put the most gear on their westy roof. After 16,000 miles or so one of my hinges called it quits. Colombian mechanics straightened it out and put a new center rivet in for $8.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Three surfboards and a rocketbox full.

Panamerican Highway - 2014-2017
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiVo wrote:
I wonder who has put the most gear on their westy roof.

Hmmm, well I had almost a whole other bus interior on top of mine, plus the roof and luggage rack, or and a kayak.. Going from Washington/ Canada border to Sacramento CA. Very Happy

Here it all is before break down and loading.

Once it was loaded, we didn't pop the top. Would have been way to heavy for us to try to lift, besides to heavy for the hinges and all.

All this on a home made roof rack bolted through the fiberglass top. Very Happy I think we did pretty good on the roof rack install. Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
nickg321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

Has anyone use the 1a raingutter yakima setup on a non westy top?
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

nickg321 wrote:
Has anyone use the 1a raingutter yakima setup on a non westy top?

I have, you need the Hi-Rise adapters to clear the roof. Here's a photo of mine with a set of the Yakima Gold Rush Bars, c1973. Just found them on craigslist so did some research. They were the first item Yakima ever offered.

Slammed Panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

My 69 with Original Portugese made full length rack
VW Treasure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

I am looking to buy a full-length roof rack for my 74 Bay Window bus similar to the ones Pedro from Pedro's Racks used to build (aluminum or stainless steel and wood planks) but seems like at the present time they are nowhere to be found. Does anyone know if full-length racks with the wood planks lining the middle are available from any of the VW sites or any current makers? The only ones I can find are the all-steel / metal ones, but those wouldn't work for my bus been in Miami where it's so close to the ocean (salt and steel don't go well together).
Thanks in advance for your help!
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

Haven't seen the tried and true Machine-O-Matic roof rack bars posted yet

Back in the 90's I loved my Thule rack that I first got for my Westy then adapted for my DC

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
VW Treasure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

Still in search of a 6-row Westfallia-style stainless steel and wood rail roof rack...new or used. Can't seem to find either a private seller or builder for one of these. Anyone that knows where I could purchase one, please let me know.

Thanks in advance! 👍
nickg321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1960348

Can anyone identify what roof rack this is? I have searched for several hours and can't find anything like it. The pictures aren't very clear, but the clamps just seem different than what is out there.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

nickg321 wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1960348

Can anyone identify what roof rack this is? I have searched for several hours and can't find anything like it. The pictures aren't very clear, but the clamps just seem different than what is out there.

Looks like an HWE rack, but narrow. Probably originally built for another vehicle, then the legs and clamps were modified to fit a bus.
hiraxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

mabuhay!!!

consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

vwoa style 8 leg rack still not quite finished

uses these OG clamps

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

Here it is all finished

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

Powder coat?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

it's just painted with a similar color silver as late bus wheels
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

If thats your personal one off - then paint is fine. If you want to mass produce - look into powder coat. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

Looks good. Have you gone for a drive yet? When i made a full roof rack for my old 74 it was destined to have wood slats front to back. With it mounted prior to putting on the slats i went on a beer run and upon hitting about 40 mph it started howling with a warbling resonance that transmitted through the van. Figured no big deal the slats will absorb the vibes. Nope Mad . It was loud. People on the side walk could hear me coming! Ended up making a lexan visor for the front and problem solved. Eventually im going to make one for my syncro but i wont be putting the front and rear upper "fence?" bars on it though because longer items like canoes wouldnt rest on the rack but just those two bars. My 2 bits. Member Grungeant now rocks that bus.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

VW Treasure wrote:
Still in search of a 6-row Westfallia-style stainless steel and wood rail roof rack...new or used. Can't seem to find either a private seller or builder for one of these. Anyone that knows where I could purchase one, please let me know.

Thanks in advance! 👍

Make it out to BugJam next weekend. The guy that makes those racks is usually there. I think he lives in the Tampa area.
Istquai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Roofrack Thread Reply with quote

what size of pipes did you use?

1/2" or 3/8" ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: