Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot VW's magazine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:

GEX sucks balls, no question, but in the modern age of the Internet and mass communications available in virtually every home, there's no excuse for anyone to make uneducated purchases, IMO.

Well, if GEX were to purchase banner ads on TS they wouldn't sell a thing to TS readers because here the readers are also the writers. We'd make sure that everyone knows of their practices.

The only reason that these bottom-feeders survive is because they buy the silence of the magazines in which they advertise. That doesn't do much for the credibility of those publications.

Are there any magazines that can pick and choose who advertises? I'm fairly certain that Hot Rod or Car Craft or any car magazine for that matter can't just put together an editorial on how much Joe Blow's cam or engine sucks, and for John Q Customer to shop elsewhere.

"Buy silence?" I think that's a bit of a stretch.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:

GEX sucks balls, no question, but in the modern age of the Internet and mass communications available in virtually every home, there's no excuse for anyone to make uneducated purchases, IMO.

Well, if GEX were to purchase banner ads on TS they wouldn't sell a thing to TS readers because here the readers are also the writers. We'd make sure that everyone knows of their practices.

The only reason that these bottom-feeders survive is because they buy the silence of the magazines in which they advertise. That doesn't do much for the credibility of those publications.

Are there any magazines that can pick and choose who advertises? I'm fairly certain that Hot Rod or Car Craft or any car magazine for that matter can't just put together an editorial on how much Joe Blow's cam or engine sucks, and for John Q Customer to shop elsewhere.

Who was that guy that got his ass in a bit of a bind when he went off in print over VWoA's treatment of Rocky mountain Motorworks.
Dave, did you ever hear about that one? Confused
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:

GEX would not be allowed to advertise, regardless of the money involved.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you would consider selling them advertising at all.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:

Not a stretch at all. Have you ever read a word about GEX in a VW magazine? They're certainly happy to take GEX's ad money.

Certainly magazines, as private businesses, can pick who may advertise, just as TS can pick who may advertise.

Occasionally a magazine develops a backbone and tells it like it is, but it seems that the norm is to take the ad money and slide down the path of mediocrity.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Cloyd wrote:
I read the old one's. 1980 and below Rolling Eyes Good Sh$t
I miss the "Treasure hunting in Costa Rica" type stories.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Such integrity is sadly lacking from DB&HVW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick73Super wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Such integrity is sadly lacking from DB&HVW.

We should start a write in campaign requesting Hot VW's do a "Gex endurance test" like I see many auto mags do. Imagine the fun if they did it blind too.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom has bought me a subscription every year since I got my car (93). So yes I still read it. Although "browse" it might be better. Its my crapper fodder. All my issues are on the tank. I doubt I will have her re-new.

Who wants to read an issue right now?

Ad pages X 64, two early cars w/narrowed beams, one off road car doing less off roading than my wifes Ford 500, and some minor show coverage.

I think you get the point. I agree w/everyone. It should be more "owner" oriented. I know they are not highly respected, but the guy who restores a Bay Window or a Super Beetle doesn't get a chance to be featured?

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:

Not a stretch at all. Have you ever read a word about GEX in a VW magazine? They're certainly happy to take GEX's ad money.

Certainly magazines, as private businesses, can pick who may advertise, just as TS can pick who may advertise.

Occasionally a magazine develops a backbone and tells it like it is, but it seems that the norm is to take the ad money and slide down the path of mediocrity.

I still would like to see such examples. By by no means am I an advocate for shitty companies like GEX, but I'd like to see a specific example of a magazine that told advertisers with bad reps to shove off.

The problem is it's a Catch 22 situation, because the revenue is vital to a publication's feasibility, but there are also consumers who get screwed by shady companies. And the VW market is, by no means, large enough for a niche publication to pick and choose its advertisers.

I could argue that, justified by my poor success history with EMPI products, that the magazine shouldn't carry any ads by people that sell EMPI products, but that wouldn't go very far. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Terry Cloyd wrote:
I miss the "Treasure hunting in Costa Rica" type stories.

Don't forget the California Caravans. Cool
bumbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres nothing wrong with hot vws, some months are really good and the next so-so. i have a subscription to it. come on.... its only like 2 bucks a month when you pay for a 2 yr subscription. what i dont like is when you see on the cover "HOW TO SWAP A TRANSMISSION", come to find out its an irs, big deal. unbolt and rebolt. what about us swingaxle guys? i still dont know how to reinstall axles back into the trans. i guess its pretty complicated with clearances and backspacing with shims and such. 3 yrs ago i subscribed to vw trends, about the time they stopped publishing. the company started sending me some watercooled crap mag to replace it. not to knock the watercooled but im not into them. its like subscribing to playboy, and getting playgirl instead. just because their nude doesnt mean its the same. volksworld is an awsome mag but a little beyond my budget for a subscription, i just get them at barnes and noble.
bumbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last vw trends that stood out for me was the club article on GFK
cal63look
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
I won't buy it anymore. The paper they print it on doesn't stand up to bongwater spills at all. You notice that too?

Priceless! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
spotfreerynse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
I leaf through it at the newsstand. If I see something interesting, I'll buy it, but it's seldom that that happens.

DITTO ! Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Cloyd
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Terry Cloyd wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Terry Cloyd wrote:

I bet the Pink Lady layout is your favorite. Wink

Why is it that I always get shot. I never see the bullet d'oh!

Maybe put your hearing aids in next time.

Well Glenn I might just burn all my VW magazines and throw a few 010 on top to help the burn Wink
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:

I still would like to see such examples. By by no means am I an advocate for shitty companies like GEX, but I'd like to see a specific example of a magazine that told advertisers with bad reps to shove off.

If you tell the truth about their products they will shove off without prompting. One example I can think of is Dirt Bike magazine in the '70s, under the editorship of Rick Sieman. They didn't tell any advertisers to pound sand, but they didn't feel any aversion to testing the products and pronouncing them junk if they were. They did the same thing with the motorcycles they tested. If a bike had a problem they said so. If it had many problems they would get downright nasty about it. Advertisers pulled their ads. Readership went up. Advertisers came back. Products got better.

Unfortunately, it didn't last. After he built the magazine for a decade, the suits pushed Sieman out and the magazine declined.
bugnut68 wrote:
The problem is it's a Catch 22 situation, because the revenue is vital to a publication's feasibility, but there are also consumers who get screwed by shady companies. And the VW market is, by no means, large enough for a niche publication to pick and choose its advertisers.

If a VW magazine is but one GEX ad away from bankruptcy then they should fold up their tent. Sleep with dogs, wake up with fleas.
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand how everyone feels about hot VW's and most of its true. i my self stopped buying it for most of the same reasons. but why don't we take it into our own hands if you want to see it survive. hell ive seen write ups on here better than that articles in that magazine, why don't people start sending in suggestions and writing articles for them to print and sending in stories of your own VW hunts.

has anyone read this magazine?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

its an amazing publication, i loved what i read in it. and i think if the ideas and article types that are found in this magazine were carried over into a publication like Hot VW's then you would see a change over night.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Cloyd wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Terry Cloyd wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Terry Cloyd wrote:

Well Glenn I might just burn all my VW magazines and throw a few 010 on top to help the burn Wink

Took almost two weeks to come up with that?

I think a Hilborn alcohol injection system would help it burn better than some distributors.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking a magazine to censor advertizing is not such a great thing to get started. Advertizing has always been something that showed the product in a light that might not be real in everyday life. Look at how tall that cheezeburger is in the picture compared to the one you unwrap. Advertizing helps the publisher make a living and send folks out to witness things the rest of us can't see. If it becomes acceptable to find fault with a certain advertizer and bow to the readers on just who gets into a magazine, there will be something wrong found for every single advertizer in that magazine. Hell, people find fault with every single car featured in every single issue. Grow up, people! Find out if the statements made in print are real enough for you to believe, or if you want to risk your money with product "X" or not. It is not the media's job to protect us from the big bad world out there. THAT IS EACH OF OUR OWN JOBS. I for one have to commend the people doing GEX's ads. In spite of all the horendous work they may or may not have put out there, the advertizing still grab enough people's attention to keep the doors open. And even though Hot VW's continues to put crap about off road racing in southern California in their issues, I will continue to read it. :wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Cloyd
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Terry Cloyd wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Terry Cloyd wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Terry Cloyd wrote:

Took almost two weeks to come up with that?

I think a Hilborn alcohol injection system would help it burn better than some distributors.

Well Glenn it could happen in a split second. All the VW crap could end up at Ace Metal and Waste. I will go back to my Chevy motors and Art Carr gear boxes. Yes they are sitting there at rest.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 29

Jump to: