Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot VW's magazine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Florida_Buggy wrote:
I'm letting my subscription expire too. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, I'll donate the cost of a subscription to the Samba every year which I think is a much better value.

Holy crap, that would be awesome if everyone did that. Smile

Thank you very much.

Come on folks, help support the site!
ovalboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean1 wrote:
ovalboy wrote:
Why do we need 4 pages of car 'renderings'? I get those from my 8 year old on a weekly basis.

So, you are comparing the great ideas by Steve Sanford to an eight year old? I suppose Chip Foose does second grade work as well?

Nope, never made that comparison. I'm saying if I want to see drawings of a car, I'll look to my 8 year old. If I'm paying for a subscription to a magazine, I don't want to see drawings, I want to see features, tech, reader's rides and articles. I could care less what Steve Sanford's abilities are, or Chip Foose's for that matter. Rolling Eyes

If you are Dean from the mag, hopefully you'll take some constructive criticism from this thread. A lot of people have expressed a lot of opinions here. I personally have had my fill of seemingly more ads than information and features of trailer queens straight out of the paint booth. It's time for some real cars driven by every day people who put their own blood, sweat and skin (not to mention money) into the project.

I'm not saying I could, or would even want, to try and do it better. I applaude the efforts of the magazine staff to this point, but in my humble opinion, it's time for some changes. Until that happens, I'll just let my subscription expire.

Last edited by ovalboy on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Cheapo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip Foust is awesome. Maybe it needs some Boyd Covington too?

Laughing
thebucket
Samba Stockbroker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy Hot VWs forever. Do I miss the 80's issues? Sure. But I miss the 80's and 90's period. But I remember my Mom buying me my first issue in 87. After that I was hooked. I'll support them to the end, like I did Trends. If that mag is at barnes and noble and 7=11 then some kid might buy it for a change instead of DUB. Maybe he sees a pic that gets him hooked. Like it or not they help keep this Hobby alive, just like this site....
Do they have room for improvement? Hell Yes. Are they still viable... Hell yes.....
TimB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebucket wrote:
I'll buy Hot VWs forever. Do I miss the 80's issues? Sure. But I miss the 80's and 90's period. But I remember my Mom buying me my first issue in 87. After that I was hooked. I'll support them to the end, like I did Trends. If that mag is at barnes and noble and 7=11 then some kid might buy it for a change instead of DUB. Maybe he sees a pic that gets him hooked. Like it or not they help keep this Hobby alive, just like this site....
Do they have room for improvement? Hell Yes. Are they still viable... Hell yes.....

good post. I'm with you. However it was about '89. I wasn't old enough to drive yet so I rode my bike to Luckys to pick up the new magazines each month.
tatersgravy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to Barnes and Noble Book Store to read all the car mags.. I get a cup of coffee, grab a bunch of mags., find my favorite chair and read away! When I'm done I usually leave them in the chair and let the help re-sort them, I feel its kinda job security for them. I haven't bought a mag. in years to expensive and over half of it is advertisements. Back in the early 80's I did enjoy HOT VW but now its pretty much worthless.......
tatersgravy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Florida_Buggy wrote:
I'm letting my subscription expire too. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, I'll donate the cost of a subscription to the Samba every year which I think is a much better value.

Thank you very much.

Sounds good....I'm in....where do I send the funds?
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, IMO Trends wasn't as carefully edited. Of course mine are all '80s and '90s; Trends, hotVWs, Volksworld. I learned tons and took notes.

And that's why I like the 7-11 motif: the young person getting into the hobby. And the ads, too. At least you can assume the advertisers in a current issue are still in business.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatersgravy wrote:
69 Jim wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Florida_Buggy wrote:

Thank you very much.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/donate.php
tatersgravy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
tatersgravy wrote:
69 Jim wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Florida_Buggy wrote:

Thank you very much.

Thanks! $20.00 is on its way and thanks again for a great place to......well..... do whatever it is we do in here Very Happy !
redrum71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still read it, mainly for ads! Laughing call me crazy but I like looking at stuff I can't afford, that's why I browse the classifeds here also Laughing Seriously, I think it has a place because it does offer people that don't have the internet or know about The Samba some "info" about things they can do, And if you got $30-$40k you too can have a cover shot! I know i'm gettin tired of that crap, how about an issue on guys/gals who work on their bugs or buses on their own out of their garage or driveway with limited funds and tools?? I doubt that will ever happen...... Crying or Very sad
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been comparing Hot VW's with the other options on the racks at the Boarders lately. I think I bought 2 DB&HVW's this year, it certainly reminds me why sometimes, the newsstand price is the better deal.

I may not be a typical, but I find more interesting things here every day than I seem to in a copy of Hot VW's, and it is much easier to get my buses profiled...
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tatersgravy"]
69 Jim wrote:
tatersgravy wrote:
69 Jim wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Florida_Buggy wrote:

Thank you very much.

Thanks! $20.00 is on its way and thanks again for a great place to......well..... do whatever it is we do in here Very Happy ![/quote

X3!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mike Fisher"]
tatersgravy wrote:
69 Jim wrote:
tatersgravy wrote:
69 Jim wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Florida_Buggy wrote:

Thank you very much.

Thanks! $20.00 is on its way and thanks again for a great place to......well..... do whatever it is we do in here Very Happy ![/quote

X3!

Anyone else??? Show your support!
redrum71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would, but I have like $7 to my name until payday Crying or Very sad
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support this site and will also continue to subscribe to Hot VWs. I have subscribed to them for many years ( still have every issue ) and just re-upped for another two. They have helped me out many times before with tips or tech articles. Dean or someone on his staff has taken the time to e-mail me back on a coulpe of questions that I had. I had a clutch problem that I posted on here that no one could diagnose for me, although I got alot of help and tips that I am grateful for, Dean had the right answer for me, and he e-mailed me personally which I thought was real nice. I love the samba, every night as soon as I get home from work I log on to see what's going on, mostly to see if my car has made it to the abortions thread for the fourth time! Smile But I will always read and look forward to getting my next issue of Hot VWs.
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dasvolvo wrote:
I still read it, mainly for ads! Laughing call me crazy but I like looking at stuff I can't afford, that's why I browse the classifeds here also Laughing Seriously, I think it has a place because it does offer people that don't have the internet or know about The Samba some "info" about things they can do, And if you got $30-$40k you too can have a cover shot! I know i'm gettin tired of that crap, how about an issue on guys/gals who work on their bugs or buses on their own out of their garage or driveway with limited funds and tools?? I doubt that will ever happen...... Crying or Very sad

I like reading about the people who build their own cars too, but the problem is sometimes you'll run into folks who will take credit for work they didn't do. At least the articles on KCW-built (and other shops, as well) cars are acknowledging who's doing the work right up front.

I know for a fact that there's a lot I can't do on my cars, and, had I the money, I would be paying professionals to do (such as body and paint work and interiors). I don't have any expendable money at the moment so my '70 continues to look shitty Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there was a "the samba" magazine who would subscribe to it?

i know i would.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runslikeapenguin wrote:

i know i would.

there already is,.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/
enjoy.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dunebubby
Samba Thread Killer

Location: In my den,throwing darts at a picture of my ex-boss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
runslikeapenguin wrote:

i know i would.

there already is,.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/
PAY UP!

Fixed it for ya... Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 29

Jump to: