Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot VW's magazine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monthly mag when it's supposed be reason i quit, tired of them starting to dump all the issues in about 2 months(starting about this time of yr).
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
Monthly mag when it's supposed be reason i quit, tired of them starting to dump all the issues in about 2 months(starting about this time of yr).

Could you rephrase? I'm not sure I follow...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
morymob wrote:

Could you rephrase? I'm not sure I follow...

x2
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what he means. I too got tired of getting an issue every 2-3 weeks, and then nothing during the next few mo.s except renewal notices. I once got 2 issues for consecutive mo.s delivered on the same day, and both were 3-4 mo.s ahead of the calender... I.E., all twelve annual issues for the year were del. to me in a 7-8 mo. period.
I just take 5 minutes at the market for a cover to cover read and put it back. Now days it seems that there's only a handful of anything to read, and the same (90%?) ads that I've seen, unchanged, for the last decade or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
What's with Hot VWs magazine ????

I'm a subscriber (since 1973), and yesterday March 26 I receive my April 2012 issue. Then today, I receive the May 2012 issue. Both in fine shape, but one day apart. What gives !!!

Saw your post, but couldn't post over there. I would suggest contacting their subscription department, as those are the only folks who can help you out with that particular issue.

Exactly- when I've received a torn cover- or no mag at all- Linda and team have always been very pleasant and quick to help. Pull up your apparently well-seasoned britches and call the source says I.

These guys did not get a bum rap when they had the uber-lousy "VW Trends" as main competition. If Ultra VWs ever learns how to write as well as they photograph, leaving HVWs in peril- there will be a thread bashing them too...

Isnt that always the case...I speak for myself but I think many agree that we love HotVWs and want them to do well and kick-ass and for some of us it has even been the bible for over 30 years. I agree with somone earlier that they need to show more cool shit than finished shit. No one is saying to photograph rusty pans and missing grease caps like the early days but show us some cool new trends and styles and stop calling everything Cal look!!! I personally liked the layout of the Street scene section this month. I might not re-subscribe based on how the original Bad Temper2 was treated and after thumbing thru the december 2007 issue looking for inspiration on my Notch build I see another 70s era type gasser in all its glory "Dangerine" which reinforces my belief that 70s history is the only history that matters to them IMO..
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
70s history is the only history that matters to them IMO..

So true...
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55reasons wrote:
j8bug wrote:

So true...

So thats why they ran the photos a few months back, that my neighbor had of the Lightning Bug, The original Deano Dyno Soars gasser, and others at Carlsbad Raceway, circa 1968?
I believe we narrowed it down, courtesy of the Schley Brothers, who ran the Lightning Bug, and kept incredible records of every change, no matter how small, they made to the car, to October 14th, 1968...
I won't get into an online pissing match, either. I cannot and will not speak on behalf of Hot VWs.
I will say, though, if anyone really feels strongly enough about the content of the magazine, prove it and spend 44 cents, and send them a letter. NOT just one that says "you suck", make it professional as you can. Tell them who you are, and explain to them what you would like to see in the magazine. I can guarantee you, it will be much better received than an internet commando simply saying "you suck" on an internet forum.
Everyone can be tough behind their keyboard.
Spend the 44 cents, and tell 'em how you feel. I don't know if it will get results or not, but it sure couldn't hurt.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. I look at late 60s, thru 70s as being similar. Yet what was starting to pop-out in the late 70s thru the 80s In L.A. was different to Cal look. Look at the photos of the late 70 thru the 80s in L.A and unless we start to document the insanely large L.A. Cal Style scene on the Samba thru my thread (who remembers the 80s Cal-Style) it goes completely unaccounted for. Its history and we are documenting it now. That is not to say there werent any Callookers in L.A. cause there were and thats not to say there werent any CalStylers in OC or anywhere else because there probably was. But the concentration of where the new look was originating was during the 80s in L.A. and that is why we started to call it Cal-style. The 80s in L.A. is rich with history, I was there, I lived it, but not taken seriously IMO... I have sent HotVws a few letters via BugMail and I have yet to get any sort of reply in months.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very different to this:

Very different to this:
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who ever shoots the finding of, and restoration of the original BadTemper 2 will also go home with this bit of rich(IMO) L.A. 80s history:

Yes that is a Danny A. design piece. He painted all the famous cars of the day like Babboom, Rag berry, King Rag and lil dreamer amongst many others including many of the mini truck logos like the Mini stompers. I`ll try to get Danny to post up in this thread also. After many phone calls and people in the car painting world I was able to find him 27 years later and I recently had the chance to talk to Danny about the old days and cars back then and how they were named. The owners/driver of each car would already have a name and idea and Danny would draw up something out of his head and use it. Danny went to work for Disney for some twenty years and was the main guy for all the art work for the "Power rangers". He was also the head painter for all the work in the movie Robo Cop! There is so much to tell but ill save it for when Bad Temper II makes a comeback. On a small note Bad Temper was almost going to be named Challenger with a picture of the space craft in the air cos the Space shuttle named Challenger met it`s fate the same week they logo`d this car but stayed with BTII. This was January 28, 1986 when the unfortunate took part. CRG

j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
My biggest beef with the magazine is that it doesn't follow current trends. They'd rather show something finished than something on the edge of what's next, but not quite done yet.
You look at French or English magazines and they'll devote two adjacent color pages to the back row of a car show. If that's where the cool shit is, then that's where they're taking pictures.
Hot VW's continues to show the winners and maybe a freak or two thrown in there. The winners have won because the judges are old as fuck and either have no taste or basically have to pick the "nicest" car there, but not necessarily the "coolest" car there.
So, the average color feature is shot after the show and features some super nice, but boring-ass car we've seen 1000 times over and over. Total snooze fest... Slam it on earlies!!!

I have always thought car culture coverage needs to go beyond the carshows. The streets need to be accounted for more thoroughly IMO. There is so much that happens in car culture that doesnt make it to carshows. I know alot of bad-ass Vdub history never before heard of or seen in carshows or magazines why, because its from the streets . If you want to learn what the latest dance or fad is, you might not find it at a dance competition but you might find it at the local clubs. With the way prices are and judging is Im 99% certain some kid with good style and taste is working on his car right now to hit up his old high school or the local cruise night and not a carshow. How do I know that, because me and my friends were once those kids. It shouldnt be that hard to standout today, theres hardly any Vdub scene anymore anyway. If you were to ask me about NW Phx scene ill tell you in a heartbeat the scene sucks but it might be different in SE PHX. Go beyond the carshow only mentality and start asking people what trends we are seeing in the streets. Its just my opinion. Ill even pose this question to the older crowd thats been around for awhile. If i was to ask you what 80s Vdub styling or carclubs were in thee 80s/ L.A. besides what I have posted on this thread, I would hear crickets, correct?.... Yet we arguably had the biggest and the baddest VDub scene in the world at that time if not of all-time.... LA, NY, SF, Paris, baby Wink
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
55reasons wrote:
j8bug wrote:

So true...

So thats why they ran the photos a few months back, that my neighbor had of the Lightning Bug, The original Deano Dyno Soars gasser, and others at Carlsbad Raceway, circa 1968?
I believe we narrowed it down, courtesy of the Schley Brothers, who ran the Lightning Bug, and kept incredible records of every change, no matter how small, they made to the car, to October 14th, 1968...
I won't get into an online pissing match, either. I cannot and will not speak on behalf of Hot VWs.
I will say, though, if anyone really feels strongly enough about the content of the magazine, prove it and spend 44 cents, and send them a letter. NOT just one that says "you suck", make it professional as you can. Tell them who you are, and explain to them what you would like to see in the magazine. I can guarantee you, it will be much better received than an internet commando simply saying "you suck" on an internet forum.
Everyone can be tough behind their keyboard.
Spend the 44 cents, and tell 'em how you feel. I don't know if it will get results or not, but it sure couldn't hurt.

Make it 45 cents or it will never make it Dave.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My subscription has expired and until something changes in the magazine I will read it at the news stand or grocery store. A lot of us VW people just cannot afford to pick up a vehicle and write the checks to have the work done for us.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
My subscription has expired and until something changes in the magazine I will read it at the news stand or grocery store. A lot of us VW people just cannot afford to pick up a vehicle and write the checks to have the work done for us.

I don't have the funds to do hardly anything to my car right now, just the way it is. But I certainly wouldn't have a problem paying a professional to do the body and paint and interior chores like a headliner if I had the funds. If there's anything that gets old for me its seeing cars that come one specific shop repeatedly... for awhile it seemed like KCW was getting more than their share of features, nothing personal against them, but just a bit wearisome for me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

I don't have the funds to do hardly anything to my car right now, just the way it is. But I certainly wouldn't have a problem paying a professional to do the body and paint and interior chores like a headliner if I had the funds. If there's anything that gets old for me its seeing cars that come one specific shop repeatedly... for awhile it seemed like KCW was getting more than their share of features, nothing personal against them, but just a bit wearisome for me.

I agree, the same ol crap slammed on Raders get's old.
73 KAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more interesting looking at the cars in the "Readers Rides" forum. at least you see what everyday people are doing, weather you like it or not it is at least different. My 2cents.

Mark
#3 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=775620Kafer-Cup vintage road racer
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I will say, though, if anyone really feels strongly enough about the content of the magazine, prove it and spend 44 cents, and send them a letter.

You know, I did just that back in '99 and they even printed my letter. They finally branched into the water-cooled world with "Project Cabrio" and I praised them for doing so. Shortly thereafter, "Project Cabrio" came to an abrupt end with no explanation (I have my own theory for its demise and I'll keep it to myself). I haven't bought a HotVWs since.

I love air-cooleds, but I also love water-cooleds. I also like good variety in a car magazine, which is why I spent the big bucks on VWmotoring (UK mag) before it went under: air-cooled, water-cooled, stock, modified, tech advice for every VW, and it also branched into Audi and Porsche on occasion. I loved that magazine! HotVWs is boring to me. I sifted through 3 years' worth of issues at Bugorama a couple of weeks ago looking to see if I happened to miss any of the aforementioned "Project Cabrio" articles. It was like channel-surfing the TV: Different programs, but same 'ole tired content.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dean1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Dave wrote:
I will say, though, if anyone really feels strongly enough about the content of the magazine, prove it and spend 44 cents, and send them a letter.

You know, I did just that back in '99 and they even printed my letter. They finally branched into the water-cooled world with "Project Cabrio" and I praised them for doing so. Shortly thereafter, "Project Cabrio" came to an abrupt end with no explanation (I have my own theory for its demise and I'll keep it to myself). I haven't bought a HotVWs since.

The reason the Project Cabrio stopped, was the editor who owned it at the time, left Hot VWs for another job, and away the Cabrio went.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a story ... in '03 I hosted a PNW Vw event. After I got a call from a Hot VW's rep about pics ... felt like I was being bullied by a movie FBI agent, then rudely cut off.

Long before I phased away from the mag -- been said plenty before but they failed to expand with the times. Ditto with VW Trends.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
Just a story ... in '03 I hosted a PNW Vw event. After I got a call from a Hot VW's rep about pics ... felt like I was being bullied by a movie FBI agent, then rudely cut off.

Long before I phased away from the mag -- been said plenty before but they failed to expand with the times. Ditto with VW Trends.

There's got to be more to this story than what's presented... I've met almost all the staffers from Hot VWs at one time or another and have a hard time envisioning any of them as "bullies." Lol.
tikitime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's your chance to be heard:

https://www.facebook.com/HotVWs

Hot VWs Magazine (Official)

What type of stories would you like to see published in Hot VWs?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8269014&highlight=#8269014

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382905&highlight=

Streng Deutsch Die Völker Klub
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 29

Jump to: