Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot VW's magazine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovalboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KantDriveFast wrote:
coW wrote:
I buy it for the ever changing advertising.

Laughing Laughing

Aren't they still running that "Pinto-Beans" ad from like '73? Rolling Eyes

I'm going to buy one of those GEX engines they advertise. The ad is in a national magazine, so they must be good. Rolling Eyes
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subscribe, but it only takes me about 30 minutes to read each issue. The features are all the same as someone pointed out above.

I buy it to help support my hobby. Maybe its a stupid reason, I don't know. But for what, $20 a year, its worth it to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
They put the wrong year on one of the car captions this month. '54 when the car is a '61.

Last month they mixed up someone's build description, putting weeks in one place and days in another.

I still read it.

Well, I posted this and a new issue came in the mail so everything above was actually 1 month back.

But... I found an error on the very first story I turned to. I didn't even have to read the article, it was right in the photo caption.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdW wrote:
iowegian wrote:
EdW wrote:
lorse wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Lorse's Westy is in this month. You just have to know where to look. Wink

Well Holy shit... what are the odds?
Hell, even got my name in there.
wOOt!

But, did they spell your name correctly?

Yup.
You just have to know where to look.

When I get home, I'll be sure to look for them mentioning Kellie. Wink

Dude, that's not how my name is spelled.
ovalboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida_Buggy wrote:
I subscribe, but it only takes me about 30 minutes to read each issue. The features are all the same as someone pointed out above.

I buy it to help support my hobby. Maybe its a stupid reason, I don't know. But for what, $20 a year, its worth it to me.

For another 20 bucks, you can get a star next to your username and support the Samba,
ovalboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
EverettB wrote:
They put the wrong year on one of the car captions this month. '54 when the car is a '61.

Last month they mixed up someone's build description, putting weeks in one place and days in another.

I still read it.

Well, I posted this and a new issue came in the mail so everything above was actually 1 month back.

But... I found an error on the very first story I turned to. I didn't even have to read the article, it was right in the photo caption.

Is it the photo caption that reads "caption" in an empty black box?
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still buy it every month. Currently i don't even have a VW. But when i do, i'll know never to attempt to build my own tranny or gas saving engine. They need to have less (smaller) event coverage and more articles and pictures of cars. Just my 2 cents...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalboy wrote:
Florida_Buggy wrote:

For another 20 bucks, you can get a star next to your username and support the Samba,

That's a very good point. I definitely should do that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KantDriveFast wrote:
coW wrote:
I buy it for the ever changing advertising.

Laughing Laughing

Aren't they still running that "Pinto-Beans" ad from like '73? Rolling Eyes

Hey, the conversion still works, even though the Pinto is a distant memory!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalboy wrote:
EverettB wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I still read it.

Is it the photo caption that reads "caption" in an empty black box?

LOL, yes.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the magazine because it provides a permanent record of the times and styles of the eras it represents. Let's face it, who hasn't gotten a chuckle out of the short-shorts and mullets from the 1980s issues? It gives me a few laughs, but I do enjoy seeing how the scene has evolved and changed over the decades.

As for the high-quality cars it features, I'm all for it. Magazines should always focus on the cream of the crop versus low-quality piles. I think the term "patina" gets thrown around way too much these days; I like the old, faded commercial Buses and what not, but faded out Bugs, etc., just scream out 'old junky car' to me. But hey, to each their own, right?

On that note, I cheer to myself whenever a month goes by that a car NOT built by KCW is featured. I do understand that most don't have the ability to build their own car, so on that front I think it's not reasonable to bitch about people who pay someone else to do their own work, but I get tired of seeing one company's projects featured month after month.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CARS built by other people suck, always have and always will and i will always let the person i talk to know it by talking down to them throgh my knowledge where as they will always talk down to me thrgh their money. now if you got both like very few then shit you plain flat out got me. Smile Cool Wink
EdW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

420GOAT wrote:
CARS built by other people suck, always have and always will

That's a pretty broad statement there. I have an all original VW that was built by a bunch of factory workers in Germany, so why does my car suck? Eh?

Quote:
I would call him a dick, but a dick has a head on it

Last edited by bljones on Today 4:20am; edited 1 time in total
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdW wrote:
420GOAT wrote:

That's a pretty broad statement there. I have an all original VW that was built by a bunch of factory workers in Germany, so why does my car suck? Eh?

you know what i mean. Wink
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get Hot Vw because I didnt know any better when I subscribed.

Someone here said that they need better tech articles and I agree. This month is porting heads and that one is okay. But some of them are just stupid and you can look in your Bentley if you didnt know how to do it before.

As for the cars that they put in. They cover a large croud, everything VW. Beetles, Bus, Ghia, dune buggies, ect. They need to show the expensive cars that the owner never did a thing on but that seems to be all they show. Hot VW needs to put owner built cars. Just one page of photos and a little article about what they did, easy. They dont cover the readers rides just big$$.

o yeah, this month is 110 pages and 100 pages of ads.

It takes me about 10 minutes to "read" When my subcription runs out I am sending my money to some other vw mag.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

420GOAT wrote:
CARS built by other people suck, always have and always will and i will always let the person i talk to know it by talking down to them throgh my knowledge where as they will always talk down to me thrgh their money. now if you got both like very few then shit you plain flat out got me. Smile Cool Wink

I completely disagree with this from the standpoint of what I mentioned in my last post. Not everyone has the experience/ability/time/talent to be able to competently paint a car, stitch up a gorgeous interior, built a solid engine/drivetrain and, on top of that, assemble the entire car and have it turn out like the various quality features that have turned out in Hot VWs or even other publications.

I'd rather pay someone to do what I know I can't, which at this point is a moot opinion since I can't afford to build a super nice car. It's just what I would prefer, if I DID have the money.

I'll never settle for a rusty, ratty looking Hoodride or whatever because I can't afford paint or a quality build. I'd rather do without.

I'm currently working on a '70, and it's going to be pretty low budget, doing it as I can afford, but I'm making no pretenses to the car even being close to magazine worthy whenever its done. It'll be a quick and dirty respray/fixer upper (and no, not a Mario Gavazzi style hack job Laughing )
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Glenn wrote:
I read The Samba, why would I want to read that rag?

It is not a rag.. It is all slick paper, and doesn't work worth a darn in the bathroom.

...and the staples Rolling Eyes
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just waiting for a sale at Johnny's Speed and Chrome or Barrett Enterprises so I can get a new lowered front beam for $119! Wink
Jeff
DaKine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still subscribe and read it.

Like others have mentioned, they should focus more on the 'car culture'. Check out some of the Hot Rod mags on the news stand. They embrace the 'car culture' with pictorials and stories. I was more than a little upset when HotVws editorial stated that they'd never feature a car with less than glossy paint. What if they'd never featured a California look car because of the editors preferences not to feature anything but Muholland look cars Very Happy
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

420GOAT wrote:
EdW wrote:
420GOAT wrote:

you know what i mean. Wink

If you think people know what you mean, perhaps getting faded and posting on the InterWeb Thingy isn't for you Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 29

Jump to: