Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone else a pilot?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys..I thought this forum was dead! I'm getting ready for my Cross Country Dual next week! Very Happy
1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mike wrote:
Hey GeorgeL,
Before you run out there to leap into that new Cessna 162 for some dual,
better do a little more reading beside the EAA mag.
Two of them suckers have gone down from flat spins during the programs
developmental flight testing. The 2nd one just last year after being modified from experience in the first crash. Plus their building them in China now to keep the price down. Check out the attached forum.

http://www.airport-data.com/forums/topic1123.html

Got a bad feeling about this turkey. Think I'm gonna stick to my half interest in the old Cessna 140. Only 85 ponys but it gets me where I wanna go, and cheap enough. No glass but I can twist my own dials. Very Happy

IIRC, the purpose of flight test is to suss out problems like this. A test program would get the plane deeper into the spin (full power, fully crossed controls for several revolutions) than a customer ever would. I'm sure they'll keep tweaking until they get the spin recovery issue under control.

At least the BRS parachute deployed properly this time. Not having it go off in the first incident was hardly a feather in BRS's cap.

The sad thing about Chinese manufacture is that they still want $111K for it. If they could get the price down to that of a decent sports car that manufacturing decision would be justified, but they're charging Wichita prices for Chinese work. The decision to go with Continental probably had a lot to do with the price.

Of course, I'm no stranger to danger. I did my primary training in a Tomahawk! Smile
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ... the Traumahawk !

Here's the one I flew, put it in a stall just right and you loose all elevator control Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71sbeetle wrote:
ah ... the Traumahawk !

Here's the one I flew, put it in a stall just right and you loose all elevator control Wink

The reputation was actually not really deserved. The stall issues were rapidly and easily fixed (by adding stall strips). There were also some structural issues that were rapidly fixed. The rear window was actually bad for this because it let you watch the T-tail waving around under more severe side loading! Unfortunately that kind of sealed the fate of the airframe. Pity too, because it was an honest trainer with a clean stall break, perfect for teaching students what a real stall felt like. It also had a larger cabin, two doors (nice for ground operations during the summer months) and slightly better performance than the 152.
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
[ Pity too, because it was an honest trainer with a clean stall break, perfect for teaching students what a real stall felt like.

I've never flown a Tomahawk, but I do know that the first time I did a power off stall while solo in the Warrior, I must have done it right. It definitely Got My Attention! Shocked
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the Traumahawk I flew didn't have said stall strip (can't remember that was back in '95) because more than once we stalled it and lost elevator control, even after adding power the only way to get out of the stall was to roll the plane over with ailerons until we had enough sideload to regain elevator and rudder control. Fun plane, I really liked it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71sbeetle wrote:
I guess the Traumahawk I flew didn't have said stall strip (can't remember that was back in '95) because more than once we stalled it and lost elevator control, even after adding power the only way to get out of the stall was to roll the plane over with ailerons until we had enough sideload to regain elevator and rudder control. Fun plane, I really liked it.

It should have had them, because the AD was issued in the late '70s. It would have had to get past a lot of annual inspections without them!

I never recall losing elevator authority in the stall as you did. The speed would get so low that it just didn't have enough air flow and the stall broke. You must have found some interesting part of the envelope. The Tomahawks I flew tended to roll off on their own in a stall unless you really stayed on the ailerons to keep the aircraft upright. When they finally did roll off it would enter a spin pretty quickly if you kept the stick back but would straighten right out if you relaxed the controls.
Mr Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 71sBeetle, Hope you don't take offense. Had to smile at your comment about '95 being so long past.
I'm A retired Navy guy served thirty years 1957 to 1987. Then spent almost 20 more Federal civil service. Almost 23 years in Japan Navy and Federal time.
Anyway, I was stationed in Washington state, shore duty at NAS Whidbey Island when I got my ticket. Learned to fly from my division officer
( I was an airframe repair tech) He soloed me in his, personal airplane, a rag wing 1947, PA-12 Piper Super Cruiser. September 7th 1971.

A year later I purchased my first airplane a 1947 Cessna 140. Paid a
rompin', stompin' three grand for it! Money I borrowed from the
Navy Federal credit Union. Think my payments ran about $200. a month.
I paid the plane off by shooting aerial photos with a used ex- air force
K-20 camera. Got a permit from the FAA to fly with the door off. So I shot my photos that way after trimming the airplane.

Still shiver thinking about shootin' photos at 10,000 feet in the open door
in December and January, Brrr Very Happy
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mike wrote:
Hey 71sBeetle, Hope you don't take offense. Had to smile at your comment about '95 being so long past.
I'm A retired Navy guy served thirty years 1957 to 1987. Then spent almost 20 more Federal civil service. Almost 23 years in Japan Navy and Federal time.
Anyway, I was stationed in Washington state, shore duty at NAS Whidbey Island when I got my ticket. Learned to fly from my division officer
( I was an airframe repair tech) He soloed me in his, personal airplane, a rag wing 1947, PA-12 Piper Super Cruiser. September 7th 1971.

A year later I purchased my first airplane a 1947 Cessna 140. Paid a
rompin', stompin' three grand for it! Money I borrowed from the
Navy Federal credit Union. Think my payments ran about $200. a month.
I paid the plane off by shooting aerial photos with a used ex- air force
K-20 camera. Got a permit from the FAA to fly with the door off. So I shot my photos that way after trimming the airplane.

Still shiver thinking about shootin' photos at 10,000 feet in the open door
in December and January, Brrr Very Happy

The things we do to fly! Smile I remember when I did my training in the late '70s that I would get a discount on dual if we happened to scatter ashes during the flight. Yep, the FBO had a deal with the local mortuary to scatter cremated remains and just combined that business with their training flights! Another skill I'm unlikely to ever use again! Smile
Mr Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey GeorgeL, Neat story! Never done that! I was reminded however of a tale I got from a retired naval aviator friend who started up a flight school /charter operation after putting the "blue suit" away a few years back. When an old service buddy of his died my friend volunteered to drop his ashes over the cascade range in Washington state a favorite spot of the deceased. The story as I got it was, it was his first time to drop ash's. Basically he flung 'em out the airplane door and they imediately blew back in. He had eye's and mouth full of ash's. It was an interesting flight back to the field where the tearfull family waited to thank him for the flight. Since then he's rigged up a chute where the airstream creates a vacuum to pull the ash's out.
I didn't have the heart to ask him how they tasted! Very Happy
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mike wrote:
Since then he's rigged up a chute where the airstream creates a vacuum to pull the ash's out.

We just put 'em in a paper bag, tied the end with a 10 foot piece of string, held the free end of the string, and fed the bag through the storm window. The slipstream carried the bag back until it ran out of slack and tore open, dispersing the contents. Then we pulled the remains of the bag back in and proceeded with our lesson.

I have a feeling that the dear departed's family probably envisioned a somewhat more solemn procedure.
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a very long time since I last posted here, but I have a big update..Over the past 5 days, I've been flying non-stop both Solo and Dual..I'm up to 51.9 hours and 2 weeks away from taking my FAA Knowledge Test and about 3 weeks away from my Check Ride..

I had my first night flight 2 days ago over the Everett/Snohomish Area, I did 7 landing at Paine Airfield at about 10:30 at night Very Happy and then did my final landing at Harvey with out my landing lights. All went very well and I was awestruck and how beautiful everything becomes at night, all the lights over the cities. All of it was amazing..I'm scheduled to do my night Cross Country tomorrow, which will be a 3 hour flight putting me 1 hour over what is required to get my Private Cert...

On that note, I did my first Cross Country back in March, for Harvey, S43, to Ellensburg KELN..It was just over 100 miles, the flight there, there was alot of assistance from my instructor, because he'd flown that route many times over (Ellensburg is where Central Washington University is, and he got his Intrument Rating there, as well as his multi engine rating there and his CFI and I hope to learn to fly out of there too!) On the way back from Ellensburg, it was all on me, no assistance and I did perfectly fine, opening and closing my flight plan as well as getting the weather. Everything went extremely well!

On that note, I'll be flying up for my 2nd Cross Country to the San Jaun Islands this Saturday and then will follow that up with my first cross country solo in the days shortly there after.

Also1 (i'm getting really long winded) This Winter, I'll be going to Boeing to take the Part 141 exam so I will not have to take my private coarse over again when I go to college.

I also landed a job at Kenmore Air in Seattle as an intern next summer, so when I get out of college and have my Commercial, I can fly for them, which has always been a dream of mine!

So there's my update..I'll make sure to keep posting up my progress in the coming weeks!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lots of new good news, and congrats on the internship at Kenmore Air ! You're going to be an intern pilot ?

On my side, I haven't flown in almost a month .... been on jury duty lol.
I do have a FAA line check scheduled for Sunday, great to know since I wouldn't have flown - let alone sat in an airplane in over a month ....
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to be an intern pilot, I dont know if the FAA will allow me to since I'll only be ASEL and ASES rated and I wont have my commercial or insturment rating yet.
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, were you at the Fly-In at Orcas Island this weekend?
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this has been posted before.......360 degree view of a P-51 cockpit with zoom. Pretty cool

http://www.stclairphoto-imaging.com/360/P51-Mustang/P51_swf.html
my65rhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW's and Aviation are my passions. I miss flying so much. I was a student pilot for a while until the costs got too high. I want to get a job at an airport just to be around them again. I did a lot of flying in the SF Bay Area and some in Florida when I lived there. For me there was nothing else like it. Just being in control of an aircraft was the biggest rush. I envy everyone that is just flying. I cannot wait for my chance again....Kyle mr rhd

my65rhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpw wrote:
Don't know if this has been posted before.......360 degree view of a P-51 cockpit with zoom. Pretty cool

http://www.stclairphoto-imaging.com/360/P51-Mustang/P51_swf.html

WOW...I could sit in that virtual view for hours. Thanks for the link..Kyle
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.
Any updates from the pilots here?
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just started learning. have 16 hours dual time. started out in a Piper archer and I am now in a Diamond DA-20. I love it, everything about it is fantastic.

flying out of Grass valley, Ca KGOO

1983.5 Watercooled Vanagon 'L' Automatic transmission
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 31

Jump to: