Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new 72 Super and paint removal
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
justaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out a few parts stores. I took my paint code to one and they mixed up a spray can of acrylic enamel to match the code. Came real close too. I have used this method 4 times so far and each time was real close (I think it would have been perfect if it wasn't for the fading of the original paint. It'll also be a lot cheaper than getting a paint shop to do it for you. If I get a chance I'll snap a pic of the interior of my bug so far so you can see what the finish can come out like.
godsown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that looks great! I know what your talking about when people think you are ignorant!! I had that same problem a few months ago when i was looking for tires. "Sir I've been doing tires for blah blah years! They don't make a tire that size." Ignorance!!!!
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes tires are a great example. Either they know exactly what you are talking about, or they tell you you're an idiot and that size does not, and never did exist. I lived in So Cal until I was 19. Everyone there had an understanding of VWs. Even your average gas station service station. Here, it seems only the few VW specialty shops want to touch them. That's why I have learned to weld, build engines, do my own brakes, etc, etc. It's just easier. When I moved here, I had a basic understanding. I could adjust valves, set points, carb and timing. Now I can build a car from scratch, out of necessity. I can't believe the level of ignorance on a car that is SO easy to work on. There were also 23.5 Million of them produced over a span of more than 50 years. They're not that rare.

These are the same people who order from JC Whitney. JC Whitney is a huge joke in the circles I ran in when I lived in California. It's sad really. It's like moving here added 40 years to my life. When I lived there, there were at least 10 places that sold VW parts within 15 minutes of my house. One was an all VW junkyard (Russ's Recycling). There were Bugs parked literally in a driveway on almost every corner. 9 People I went to High School with (Class of 95) drove ACVWs, ranging anywhere from Split Busses to Ghias to even a really nice Fastback. There were 2 teachers who had Ghias, and my math teacher had a 67 Bug. Here, there are a few Bugs here and there. Most don't run. The only places I know of to get parts are 40 and 80 miles away, and I could have them shipped from CA for less. To find a time when there were that many VWs in the High School parking lots here, one needs to go back the the late 70's or early 80s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I lived there, there were at least 10 places that sold VW parts within 15 minutes of my house. One was an all VW junkyard (Russ's Recycling). There were Bugs parked literally in a driveway on almost every corner. 9 People I went to High School with (Class of 95) drove ACVWs, ranging anywhere from Split Busses to Ghias to even a really nice Fastback. There were 2 teachers who had Ghias, and my math teacher had a 67 Bug.

Ah the promised land Very Happy .
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to understand that at 19 i thought it was like that around the country. I had read about vw restorations in manassas for years. Hot vws made it look like there was a huge vw scene here in northern va. It just doesn't exist. It is very depressing. Vws are such a huge part of who i am. I have owned at least one sometimes 2 acvws continuesly since i was 17. My parents never didn't have one. My dad has had his 71 Ghia since 81. When i was in high school my mom had a 70 bug as her daily driver.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many cans of spray paint the PO used Laughing

It sure is looking better.

1973 Type 181 "Thing'
1959 Baja Bug
1963 Baja Bug
1968 Baja Bug
1970 Baja Bug
1972 Super Beetle
DaVonZip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldnt find the post you were talking about in the split bus section, what product are you using? graffiti remover any kind? thanks

-For once in my life, i'd like to get up in the morning and be as happy as my pennis is... (samba member)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with graffiti remover from a company called klean strip. It was cold out at the time so it worked well. The next few days it was in the 60's so it was working too well. I bought a small can of acetone. That worked great without damaging the paint under the spray paint. I since have gone through 3 gallons of it. I used steel wool to apply it. I tried a water based graffiti remover and it did nothing.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been a long time so I thought I'd post some follow up:

As some of you may or may not know, my Dad has decided to give me his 71 Ghia. So, the 74 Ghia that I was restoring had to go to make room. This cleared out my garage until I can have Dad's car shipped here. I pulled the Bug in, and have been able to do some of the things I wanted to do when I bought it, but winter came 1st. One of those things was finishing the paint removal. I also put the Empi 8 Spokes from the Ghia on it. They need to be cleaned up, but they look great on the Bug. I also did a full tune up (my engine only has a few 1000 miles on it). It was running terrible. I adjusted the valves and found both cylinders 1 and 2 were WAY out of adjustment. Now it idles MUCH smoother, and it has the right amount of pickup. Eventually the 009 will go, and I'll put one of those new SVDA 034s on it. I'm thinking electronic ignition with the points in the glove box (next to the fire extinguisher just in case.

I have started color sanding the paint, and polishing it. I have been working on the driver's side 1st, then I will do the passenger side. It will never be perfect, and the paint has quite a few chips, and missing spots. However, the results are making me very happy.

See for yourself:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry, the last pic is sideways.
Eventually I'll replace the bumpers, and some various chrome pieces. For now I am saving to have Dad's Ghia shipped here, and not spending too much on the Bug.
07 Boxster
chris&laura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was a TON of work. But very inspiring, nice job!
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need to take a tooth brush and remove some of the black paint along some of the body seams. But I can't get over how much better my car looks. Especially with the 8 spoke wheels on it. They were fairly new (like 3000 miles) when I parked the Ghia they came off of. They should shine up real nice and then it will look even better.
07 Boxster
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some updated pics today. It's still not done, and the wheels and tires are dirty, but look at the difference:

07 Boxster
dubluvv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaVonZip wrote:
couldnt find the post you were talking about in the split bus section, what product are you using? graffiti remover any kind? thanks

This is the thread he was referring to, enjoy!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072&highlight=paint+removal

Mitch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the one. Sorry, I should've linked that a long time ago. On a Bug it takes A LOT of time. Not sure I'd have the patience with a Bus.
07 Boxster
germanclassicg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing is beautiful. Considering what you started with and that you didnt paint anything... Awesome.
harrisdude9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a Beautiful bug, a real inspiration to those of us that picked up a $400 bug that has been sitting for a long time, maybe eventually it will look as good as yours.

1967 Baja in progress
Ears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause That is one good clean up job! Looks endlessly better. Good score of a bug.
GatorJZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:
Actually the guy i talked to yesterday was a complete asshole. I asked if he could color match and he starts telling me he won't paint my car because It's too much work. I then explained that's not what i am asking and he starts talking to me like i don't know what i am doing. This is my 6th vw. I know rust, and i know how to fix it. If you paint it, it'll be rust free when it gets here. I hate the way older people on the east coast act like i don't know vws. Usually they are chevy guys who don't know or understand vws. I am 31 and grew up in so cal. I know more then you do ass.

I wouldn't paint your car either.
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes me wonder whats under my 50-foot-paint job.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GatorJZ wrote:
swhitcomb wrote:
Actually the guy i talked to yesterday was a complete asshole. I asked if he could color match and he starts telling me he won't paint my car because It's too much work. I then explained that's not what i am asking and he starts talking to me like i don't know what i am doing. This is my 6th vw. I know rust, and i know how to fix it. If you paint it, it'll be rust free when it gets here. I hate the way older people on the east coast act like i don't know vws. Usually they are chevy guys who don't know or understand vws. I am 31 and grew up in so cal. I know more then you do ass.

I wouldn't paint your car either.

Yeah, why not? I was just asking him if he could color match and paint the decklid. Then he gave me a speech about how there is probably rust here and there, blah blah blah. I know where to look for rust when i buy a car. I didn't ask that, i asked about the decklid.
07 Boxster
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: