Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Weber 34 ICT or dual Weber40 IDF ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdillard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Carbs Reply with quote

I am new to VW's and bought a 1776 with dual Webber 40's. My 1776 has a 110 cam with 1.25 rockers. It has 044 heads with 42x37 valves. Compression is close to 10 to 1. Iwould like to know where could I find all this information and meanings behind the suffixes IDf and so on. Please excuse me for butting in but this hit home. My bug will scream but I only get 18 mpg with mid grade.

Thanks,
Gene
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbs Reply with quote

gdillard wrote:
I am new to VW's and bought a 1776 with dual Webber 40's. My bug will scream but I only get 18 mpg with mid grade.

Have you measured your air fuel ratio? 18 MPG sounds rather poor unless your foot is always to the floor.

Scott Novak
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unknown force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so basically you can't go wrong with ICTs for a 1600cc engine?

i'm having a new 1600cc longblock for my bug with a 009 1 3/8header with phat boy muffler. has a 34pict3 carb on it now but i want to replace it since its a piece of crap. i'm still trying to debate between buying a new set of ICTs for like 349 or 399 or buying used but then i won't know what i'm dealing with like these

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=705478

but every topic i look at people bring up different carbs so i'm looking at all the options like kadrons or dellertos. i'm trying not to spend more then $400 so IDFs are nice but no way i'm never going bigger then 1776 if that big.

these are 34 dells that are just missing 1 manifold
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=693570

or http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=729273

if somebody can give me some advice that would be great i'm going crazy with all these options Mad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unknown force wrote:

Not exactly.

As with any carb you it's likely you will have to re-jet them to suit your engine.

Used ICTs are likely to have worn out throttle shaft which cause leaky throttle shaft seals.

The solution is to have them bushed. But I haven't been able to find anyone who bushes these carbs.
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
thetravman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy some new carbs if you can. Do you think you will regret it? Used ICT's almost always have worn throttle shafts due to linkage design. Will you go bigger some day? Will you build? Do you think you might be a type I VW lifer? If so then you'll have to get 40 IDF's. You can use these now and on bigger motors in the future. They come with venturi's appropriate IMO venturi size (28mm) for a stock engine. ICT's are fabulous and reliable when set up correctly but get new ones or at least ones you've seen that are clean and not leaking and running on someones 1600cc. But think about the future. Don't buy anything incomplete. Linkage parts can be expensive and often impossible to get without full replacements of the whole set.
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josh wrote:
unknown force wrote:

Not exactly.

As with any carb you it's likely you will have to re-jet them to suit your engine.

Used ICTs are likely to have worn out throttle shaft which cause leaky throttle shaft seals.

The solution is to have them bushed. But I haven't been able to find anyone who bushes these carbs.

Any local machine shop will be able to produce a couple of brass bushes if you can take the carbs to them to measure up..

Make a few and sell them Wink

At the end of the day, with carbs, newer is not always better

Carbs sre now almost always manufactured under license. Dellorto don't make them and don't license them. Solex sold to Magnetti Marelli years ago and are now licensed to almost anyone who wants to make em. Weber are similar, but better

The heirarchy of quality is always original italian or german, followed by Spanish, then Brazil / mexico, the unfortuantely, licensed to empi who license them out again......

If you can buy a set of used and have them repaired, liekly they will still be better than new and cost less.

If you can afford it, buy Dellortos.... but it's ALWAYS buyer beware.

You can use almost any carb on a 1600 - 1776 engine, it's just a matter of choice and rejetting them for your motor. If someone says they are "jetted for a 1600" they are likely close but you won't be able to tell until you've set it all up and tried it.

Baby dells get my vote
DRLA get my vote
ICT's get my vote
IDF's get my vote

Not in any particular order
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josh wrote:
unknown force wrote:

Not exactly.

Send the stripped bodies to me with the shafts/plates still installed. I can do it.
Wilfredo R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some kadrons here on the site that i really like but not which to get. And would it be fine to use on a 1600cc engine? Or would i have to get new jets?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=689632
This one looks nice, can do local pickup, but im not sure if it has choke

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=739279
This one looks nice as well, it has choke, but i have to ship.

Which would be better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilfredo R wrote:
I found some kadrons here on the site that i really like but not which to get. And would it be fine to use on a 1600cc engine? Or would i have to get new jets?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=689632
This one looks nice, can do local pickup, but im not sure if it has choke

This one looks nice as well, it has choke, but i have to ship.

Which would be better?

they are effectively both the same, one with choke one without so it seems.

Do you want choke or not?
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the electric chokes, this one also has the better linkage and new air cleaners. This one would be my choice even with the extra shipping costs.

Scott Novak
tinnocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started this post back in October and have not bought carbs yet, but when I do I'll buy the dual Weber 40's. I get on Samba just about every day trying to learn as much about VW's and especially fiberglass dune buggies as I can. It seems we do not have a choice in good quality NEW carbs. You are taking your chances with Empi and also the American made Webers. There was a problem with one of our advertisers claiming he was selling new Spanish made Webers but they were made in America and were having problems. We can't even believe what is advertised. We need someone who works with carbs like Glenn, Mr 010 , works with distributors. Completey refurbishes them. There are a lot of used carbs for sale but as someone said "buyer beware". How can we tell anything about a carb from a picture. We need someone that we could ship a used Weber, Dell. or Kadron to and they could completely clean , rebuild, and rejet for each engine application. This seems like it could be a profitable business. Tinnocker (Brent)
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinnocker wrote:
I started this post back in October and have not bought carbs yet, but when I do I'll buy the dual Weber 40's. I get on Samba just about every day trying to learn as much about VW's and especially fiberglass dune buggies as I can. It seems we do not have a choice in good quality NEW carbs. You are taking your chances with Empi and also the American made Webers. There was a problem with one of our advertisers claiming he was selling new Spanish made Webers but they were made in America and were having problems. We can't even believe what is advertised. We need someone who works with carbs like Glenn, Mr 010 , works with distributors. Completey refurbishes them. There are a lot of used carbs for sale but as someone said "buyer beware". How can we tell anything about a carb from a picture. We need someone that we could ship a used Weber, Dell. or Kadron to and they could completely clean , rebuild, and rejet for each engine application. This seems like it could be a profitable business. Tinnocker (Brent)

"Mark Harney, Astronaut. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Mark Harney will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinnocker wrote:
I'll buy the dual Weber 40's.

Keep your eyes open on ebay, Craigs list, and The Samba. A couple of years ago I picked up a pair of NOS Italian made 40 IDFs for $315 on ebay. You never know when or where the deal will come up. The really good deals don't last long. Sought after parts sometimes are sold within 15 minutes of being listed on The Samba.

Scott Novak
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinnocker- You could try Art Thraen; from what I've read very knowledgable. He does a lot of carb rebuilding and set up. He's also a regular on the Samba. I believe he's in Utah.
I've never met or dealt with him but everything here that I've seen says he's a stand up guy and delivers.
His website- http://www.aircooledengineering.com/
tinnocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ALB, Air Cooled Engineering (ACE) seems to be the carb shop to go to for carb rebuilding. Scott, I have been looking and found some good deals but have been hesitant to buy, sight unseen. Now that I found a place to send them if I need to I'll continue to look for a deal.
Wilfredo R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the kadrons with the electric chokes, it will be coming in about two weeks
ultenmiinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mharney wrote:

Send the stripped bodies to me with the shafts/plates still installed. I can do it.

Does anyone know if mharney is still active on here? I have a set of ICTs I'd like him to work on.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultenmiinster wrote:
mharney wrote:

Does anyone know if mharney is still active on here? I have a set of ICTs I'd like him to work on.

Based on this thread I would say you need to find another guy.
mharney is no longer focused on VWs.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208674&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

mharney wrote:
Probably time to explain myself to allay rumors of demise and such.

I'm getting out of it. I'm doing it because:

- I have a 6 year old who is home for the summer. Time with her is more important by a landslide, and if I do this, she suffers. I'm not letting that happen

- I just went on vacation and came back feeling like I wasn't looking forward to getting back to it. I told myself a long time ago that when it stopped being fun, I wouldn't do it anymore. That time has come.

- A series of unfortunate transactions with people that for whatever reason were unwilling to pay for the work I had done for them. Trying to be what I would want in a business, and the way many VW based businesses deal with me, I would ship and bill rather than bill, receive payment and THEN ship, and as a result, a number of what are either slow or no pays have started to discourage me from dealing with people. Having to force people to pay for something that they appear to hold important makes a statement about those folks to me. Some have just forgotten, but some have genuinely discarded my attempts to contact them about it. I understand forgetting.. I have done it too. A few vendors can attest to that. That's being absent minded on my part, not a matter of not wanting to make good. While this is a small factor, it is one.

- A lack of time to work on my own stuff.. I like to be involved in the hobby, as much as I like to help others be involved by fixing carburetors and such. But it takes all the spare time I have just to keep up. Running a business is so much more than just fixing stuff and shipping it. Book keeping, constantly trying to source hard to find parts and lots of extra details make it hard to have enough time to do the work as well as the back office stuff. It's just too much right now.

- Some other personal reasons I will not go into factor in as well, suffice it to say they exist, and do account for some of the need to make the decision.

Now on to the questions...

"What about my stuff? You already have it at your shop".

You have the choice of letting me finish it with the same care and quality I have put into them in the past, or you can request that I return them or send them to another shop. No hard feelings, I'll do whatever. If you choose to let me finish them, they'll be done in short order, hopefully over the next two or three weeks. If you need to call me you can do so and we'll talk over what you want to do. I consider the transactions still in motion unless I hear differently from you.

"What about the future of Harney's Carburetor Clinic?"

The future is uncertain. One thing that is certain is that the summer is a bust, and it is likely that I won't be doing it in the same way I have been in the past. Things will have to change if I do start up again.

"What are you going to do now"?

This was a retirement gig. I don't have to work, and I did this primarily for fun and for a trial to grow a part time business. While it grew, and grew well, the changes I would have to make from here forward are unrealistic right now. I'll probably just go back to working on my own stuff when I get time, and start doing a little R&D on fuel economy with our engines, using the same stuff I have been working on. Aside from that I am going to spend more time with my family.

So.. thanks for making these last couple years fun, and thanks for the kind words. If you have other questions that you think pertain to other people I have no problem answering them publically, but other than that, you might want to just PM me.

--Mark

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 34 ICT or dual Weber40 IDF ? Reply with quote

Ultinmiinster, I perform Weber and Dellorto carb rebuilding, I
do have an add posted on samba for my services, If you have any
questions or anything I can help you with, please feel free to
contact me. PM, call or Email.
Here is another recent set of carbs I just finished and rejected for
Brothers Machine (Rare 48 DRLA TRI JETS)

Samba name (mcdragracer)
EMAIL:dragracer745@road runner.com
805 304-2129

Rick

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: