Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1776 Head Recommendation
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aearon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am sitting on a build and need some recommendations.

I have a 1776 with dual hpmx 40's and a w 100 cam.

So the question is what exactly would you reccomend head wise to get the most out of the little motor?
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

Whats it going into, what type of driving terrain, etc...

Off the bat a small set of ported heads will make for a fun engine that will run well, stay cool, and give you pleasure driving. I would look at either Tims super stocker 37x32 heads and do an in house blend and buff job on the intakes and chambers. This would be most cost effective. Panchitos although a little bigger valved heads might be an alternative choice. Ive read about people getting good numbers and results from those heads. 8.5CR

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aearon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

Its going in a ghia with a freeway flyer Smile
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

Aearon wrote:

Well with a "freeway frier" I would suggest some 910's from Autocraft, possibly strip dominators from CB or component development heads, keep the compression conservative, say about 14-15:1 and you will be good

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

While the 910's would be the focus of any engine or your's, let alone their price, they would not match your given engine parts, very well.

Yes on the Steve Tims, 37X32 or any of those 39X32 or 40X32 heads. The L3's are Just 35.5X32 but also would work well with the W-100 Cam and the 40mm carbs. I've got L3's and a W-100 om a 1679cc engine, I am going to try 36mm dual dells on it.

Consider changing the cam! If going to larger Valve sizes perhaps a WebCam 118 and Panchito's.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Aearon wrote:

Well with a "freeway frier" I would suggest some 910's from Autocraft, possibly strip dominators from CB or component development heads, keep the compression conservative, say about 14-15:1 and you will be good

Good one!!!

If we could just get that compression up to 22:1, switch to Diesel, im sure the Torque would pull a freeway flyer 4th gear perfectly. (As long as it has the superbeetle mainshaft) Idea
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aearon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

Very Happy LOL nice
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

A 100 cam won't allow it to rev near high enough to require anything larger then a 37mm intake, and that will be stretching it.

A set of AA 500 heads with 35x32 valves, blended seats, and a real good valve job would work real good. 8.5 with a tight deck.

Or swap to a Web 218 or 163 and some ported Tims 37x32 heads to really make it pull.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
midtravelmidengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
A 100 cam won't allow it to rev near high enough to require anything larger then a 37mm intake, and that will be stretching it.

A set of AA 500 heads with 35x32 valves, blended seats, and a real good valve job would work real good. 8.5 with a tight deck.

Or swap to a Web 218 or 163 and some ported Tims 37x32 heads to really make it pull.

Brian

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

No need for anything bigger.

Heavy car with small cam, might as well capitalize on Torque!

youngnstudly wrote:
I just wasn't sure if I should recommend the 1/3 race cam, the 1/2 race cam, or the 5/8 race cam instead...guess it depends on how much of the race he wants to lead???
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

What everybody's sayin'- anything more than stock valve heads is a waste. I'm not sure that with something that will only rev to 5,000rpm that paying for porting would be all that beneficial...

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh). Al
Aearon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

I also happen to have a set of 1/1.25 rockers hanging around. Most everything I have read suggests more trouble than its worth getting pushrods length and angles right. Would that make enough difference to make it worth the effort. I am new at all this learning as I go.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

Aearon wrote:
I also happen to have a set of 1/1.25 rockers hanging around. Most everything I have read suggests more trouble than its worth getting pushrods length and angles right. Would that make enough difference to make it worth the effort. I am new at all this learning as I go.

You will need to set up your rocker geometry regardless of what rockers are on it. If the heads are new or flycut, or the case has been decked at all the stock length push rods probably wont be correct. The 1.25's will be a good addition to the 100 cam.

If I had your current parts, I would get a set of L3 heads from AC.net. Clean up and blend the seats quick with a cartridge roll. Then have a good 3 angle seat cut done on them. HD single springs, cro-moly retainers. Use your 1.25's and some steel cut to length push rods. Get the deck set to about .045", and then order the heads with the chamber CC's to make 8.3:1. Full flow the case, add a light flywheel and a 1 3/8" merged header. It will make a great little cruiser, and should be real simple to build. Way more power then stock.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
What everybody's sayin'- anything more than stock valve heads is a waste. I'm not sure that with something that will only rev to 5,000rpm that paying for porting would be all that beneficial...

Porting can still definitely be beneficial at 5,000 RPM. Remember, porting is not only done to the runners. Porting also consists of chamber work, and 90% of the old VWs on the road can benefit from some chamber work. Also, the consensus is that at the very least a 3-angle valve job should be performed, which greatly improves low-lift flow. In some heads, the guide bump can be a major roadblock. A little contouring in that area could improve cylinder-filling. Lastly, the matching of the intake manifold to the head's port can make gains.

That said, use stock-valved heads. With 90.5, the intake valves could be further unshrouded from the chamber walls. Get your heads flycut to set compression to 8.5:1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

I would def get them ported as well as have your intakes match ported. What is the cost a few hundred dollars more? You don't want to say what if down the road.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

ALB wrote:

Let me clarify- if money is a concern you're not going to see enough benefit in a small engine such as a 1776 that isn't going rev very high to make the porting seem worth it. If money isn't that tight and you want everything out of it you can get- have the heads ported. Use your 1.25's and use some hd aluminum pushrods. This will be a fun little engine. Al
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 Head Recommendation Reply with quote

Hmm. IŽd say if you want to get a good result out of what you have, with the addition of another set of heads, you should start "inside" the case.
Personally I never had much luck with the W100, except maybe in sgl port engines, right up until I realized that most of the w100 cams are 4 degrees advanced in their grind. So the first thing to do is actually to retard the cam 2 maybe even 3 degrees, so you get the ILC back where it belongs.
The best set of off the shelf heads you can buy for such engine would be a set of Tims superstock, preferably the ported version. Set the CR to 8,5. that would wake your 1776 up and help it make good overall power.

T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: