Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kits and how to for dual Carbs to the 40Hp
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
illombarbugz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Kits and how to for dual Carbs to the 40Hp Reply with quote

I know there are several kits on the market to fit the dual carbs on the 40 HP, hence I would love to make a list here of all of them including prices, with all of your help...

..as well as what adaptation are possible out of the single port ones...

..or starting with junkyard 40HP intakes, duely modified...
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean old-school ones? Because I've not seen any new dual carb kits for for the 1200 - 40HP SAE. There was someone that was making manifolds, but I don't know what ever became of that.

The only way I know of to do it with parts available now, is to buy 1300SP heads and put them on the 40HP jugs, and then use SP dual carb kits. Or you can get european 1300 DP heads and do the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in finding out info on this topic is there any one who in the past has made there own intakes out of stock intake manifolds , i would like to know the do's and don'ts on the construction and any helpfull pointers would be greatl , if they cost too much to purchase and not avallable then maybe i will make my own or try!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty simple to make a dual carb kit for almost any application. I did it with a 40hp on a dune buggy I built a couple years back, it used two 28/30PICT carbs.
You need the lower (head) flange from the 40hp, cut maybe a couple inches above the flange, some appropriate pipe (sectioning the VW intake works fine) and two manifold to carb flanges. The good thing is the 40hp manifolds are cheap/free most of the time, so all you need is a welder, some beer and a free saturday afternoon.
You mock it up on your longblock, spot weld and finish the manifolds. In my case I heated the manifolds and slightly 'bent' one to get correct offset. I made linkage hidden on the front of the shroud using steel rod I bought at the hardware store and random dual carb linkage pieces. If you've seen many of the old kits you can easily picture how to make it, and it seriously works fine, many times better than the old stuff.
Vintage is always cooler, but even with a decent wallet they can be hard to find.
OvalTeenAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would a set of type3 single port manifolds work?? i know i would have to make some custom linkage but i could figure that out.. any ideas?
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56vwrag wrote:
would a set of type3 single port manifolds work?? i know i would have to make some custom linkage but i could figure that out.. any ideas?

The earliest T3's were single side draft of course, so the 13/1500 single port dual manifolds is what you'd start with. They have a different flange where the manifold bolts to the head, but you could saw that off and weld 40hp manifold flanges on...that would be pretty simple.
I personally never liked the Solex's that came on T3's (pcib?), and I dont know if 30pict carbs have the same size base..don't think so. But just another detail in the process.
Joesplace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these 1964 Riechert singleport manifolds:
http://www.pre67vw.com/classifieds/detail.aspx?id=1112
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making 2 sets. I'm just cutting up the og manifolds to use. One set will have the pci's mounted sideways with a crankbell linkage. The other will have Weber or Berg linkage and the carbs mounted the traditional way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Lee keep this link updated with your progress .... thanks
How long will you make the tubes toward the carb base from the cylinder head?
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blamb wrote:
Very cool Lee keep this link updated with your progress .... thanks
How long will you make the tubes toward the carb base from the cylinder head?

I will.

I haven't decided yet. That will probably be one of the last things I'll do before the engine is complete. I'm going to build the engine over the winter and I'm hoping to have everything done by April of '09.
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am allso doing work on my 63 this winter the dreaded heater chanels and hope to be on the road next year
vicpolky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riechert twin carb/mainfold kit for sp 40 horse

The linkage is really good, too.
james m. stein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: 40 hp twin carb set up Reply with quote

Are there any suppliers offering a dual carb set ups with linkage and manifolds ready to bolt on "out of the box" for the 40hp engine? Thanks, Jim
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicpolky those carbs and manifolds look great i am scared to ask the price and how long to get them.... wow
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp twin carb set up Reply with quote

james m. stein wrote:
Are there any suppliers offering a dual carb set ups with linkage and manifolds ready to bolt on "out of the box" for the 40hp engine? Thanks, Jim

No, not that I know of. As I mentioned before, the only way to get something like that, is to get like Weber 34ICTs for SP and use 1300 heads.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Baby Dellorto's (34's) would be too much for a 40 hp? I have some with dp intakes....so I'll need to buy (or fab up) some single port manifolds.

Scott
stede
Samba Member

Location: Buckeye,AZ by way of El Sereno Rifa, Sur Califas 13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicpolky wrote:

vicpolky is this same set up on your build up ?
vicpolky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp twin carb set up Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
james m. stein wrote:

No, not that I know of. As I mentioned before, the only way to get something like that, is to get like Weber 34ICTs for SP and use 1300 heads.

Riechert do a good kit, single port manifolds to fit 40hp, full linkage, and dual carbs. Worked pretty much 'out of the box' - they even jetted them to suit the engine set-up I was having built.

link: http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/
vicpolky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG64 wrote:
vicpolky wrote:

vicpolky is this same set up on your build up ?

Yep. Those are pics of mine being built up.
vicpolky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blamb wrote:
Vicpolky those carbs and manifolds look great i am scared to ask the price and how long to get them.... wow

It took a few weeks, but they build them up to order to suit your motor. It cost 748 euro shipped.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: