Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dustin's 63 Coupe Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a break from body work today and did a little mechanical work. Replaced my axle boots that dry rotted on me and pulled to motor to get ready for paint.

I'm about a weeks worth of body work at my current pace to high build. I've decided on a black engine bay with body color tins so I have naked motor now.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One step forward 5 steps back. Pulled the trans out to replace the front mount after I broke a bolt off. I tried to knock it out but it just bent.

Mad
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the mount in from KGPR. Looked wrong to me but it's the only one they show. So. I took my old one apart and separated the inner rubber bushing hold and welded it to the new mount. Everything bolted up nice and tight.

craigolio1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this build. Very inspiring.

Craig

Link to my build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637602

Located in the Toronto area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. It's amazing the little things that I've run into but it's all coming together. This area is parts prohibitive and shipping is outrageous on doors and bigger stuff. I'm getting there though. Hoping to sell some stuff and order the interior pretty quick. Still shooting for paint by Christmas.
JDocherty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Looks like I can learn a few things from this thread. I'll follow along for sure.
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Thanks again guys. I'm still plugging away here and there. With oil at $29 a barrel we have let all but 2 guys go so the work load is sun up to sun down right now. But I take every chance I get to get a job done. No matter how small. I brought the pop out pillars home to see if the could be saved and I'll be damned if a scotch brite pad and some bar keepers friend shined them right up. They look better in person. I'm going to see if I can get the scratches out before I finally put some chrome polish to them.

My plan now is, due to oil prices, get the car in high build primer. Next warm weekend. Then put it together. Almost completely. Wire it,motor in and all the glass, trim and chrome and any interior that's not glued down. That way I'll make sure it all fits and do any metal modifications now before paint. And drive it for the summer. Blow it all back apart next winter (hopefully oil will be $100) and send it to the paint shop.

Wish me luck.
Thanks

Last edited by motorhead364 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Got it primered and stuck the motor back in with the seals this time. No wonder I see cars without the front tin on. It was w b)$ch to get the rubber around it.

motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Hoping the back will come down and the tires will be straight up and down when I get it moving under power. Going to start putting it together now. Starting with wiring it up.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Shame you have to pull the pin on painting for now, but when times are tough you just have to look after your priorities. We all love these cars but they are our toys at the end of the day. At least you'll be able to drive around in it for now.

I've got a '63 as well at a similar stage, hope to be applying paint in the next few weeks - trying to get the right colour for the roof contrast is tough! Same paint code, different paints and the colours are totally different.
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Looking good Dustin, excellent progress

Too bad final paint has to wait, but at least you will be able to flush out all of the fitment issues, windows, doors, hood etc

Its funny how creative and resourceful we can be when costs are high and funds are tight. It also tends to be more rewarding.
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Thanks guys and yea that was my thoughts. Put it together and make necessary changes now. Scratch the primer learning how to put the breast tin in. Confused I'll fit all the window trim and get the pop outs working good and hopefully paint it next winter. My hope has always been to do the body work myself and let the professionals paint it. After researching 100 different ways to spray it myself, I'm just not confident that I'll get it looking like I want it too in the end. It needs to be super nice and hold up for years to come.
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Been making a little progress here and there. Almost wired up.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Hey! its starting to look like a car! Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Starting to act like a car too!

motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Little more progress. Having trouble with the lights being loose in the tail light buckets and not grounding. I can wiggle the light and make it blink on and off. I would imagine this would be the case while driving. I Assume it's from the new bulbs being 12v and probably different size or just wear on the buckets. I'm going to see what I can dream up to tighten the bulbs with a shim of some sort. I put 1157 single filament in the rear and amber dual filament in the front bullets. They are tight and work well. I have already bent the tab as far as I feel comfortable. May need to go a little further though.

motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Made some more progress today. Chased out all the grounding issues and pretty well got them sorted out. I'm having to clean the sockets and in some places put tiny metal spacers in between the bulbs and sockets so they will ground. Blinkers work, brakes are bled and put the gas tank back in. Tomorrow I'll put some gas in it and make sure it fires up and maybe go around the block. Next is window rubber and it's pretty well ready to drive. I'll have to figure something out for the seats that's temporary.
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

motorhead364 wrote:
Having trouble with the lights being loose in the tail light buckets and not grounding. I can wiggle the light and make it blink on and off. I would imagine this would be the case while driving. I Assume it's from the new bulbs being 12v and probably different size or just wear on the buckets.

motorhead364 wrote:
I'm having to clean the sockets and in some places put tiny metal spacers in between the bulbs and sockets so they will ground.

Try with little drop or two of solder on bulbs - easily adjusted "size" with sanding paper, an then bulbs fit snug Wink
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Hey great idea. Thanks.
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dustin's 63 Coupe Build Reply with quote

Well I fired the motor up today. Good news is I'm getting 12 volts and everything electrical is working well. However the engine is running awful. Very hard to start (choke is working). Just missing and running really rough and won't idle without the choke and won't take any throttle. . I played with the timing but I feel like now I have it so far out of whack that I just shut down for today and will start all over with static timing and go from there. I did clean the idle jet on the 30 pict 3 to make sure it was clear. It's got to be a timing issue. It ran great before. However it has been sitting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: