Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

all kick panels the same?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
68-70, 71-72, 73-79, the main difference is the brake reservoir.

I have these three driver side kick panels:

one with no notch for brake fluid reservoir,
one with smaller notch for brake fluid reservoir,
one with larger notch for brake fluid reservoir

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I figure the no notch for brake reservoir is the later one, as the 73 I had had the reservoir under the front seat, but which is which on the ones with the notch for the reservoir?

My parts list shows the reservoir changing for ch # 219 000 001, so that implies there's a 1969 only version?

TIA!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68 has the largest cutout as it used a wide flat reservoir:

69-70 has a smaller one:

71-72 has no cutout as the reservoir move to behind the seat:

73+ may have a cutout for the fuse box, I can't recall, I'll have a look.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Thank you!

Clara, are you making some kick panels or do you currently?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am, and trying to figure out how many patterns I need to sort out. And also what to call the different patterns. Looks like I have the 69-70, and the 71-72 (71-79?)

At some point they dropped the little lever you kick up/ down for heat to defrost or foot vents, so they probably dropped the notch for that too.
I don't think 73 had that.

I'll be checking out buses at the show in Portland this weekend.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73 was when the defrost changed from kick to dash control but the lever is still there, just shorter with a cable on the end, I'll look at a 73 next time I'm near one to see if the panel changed.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some of your beautiful panels in other buses and would be interested in losing the cheap, ABS plastic, POS panels in my 70.

What are you making them out of? What's the final finish? I haven't seen what the originals were like.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can upload a picture of my '73 driver's side to the gallery if you'd like.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
73 was when the defrost changed from kick to dash control but the lever is still there, just shorter with a cable on the end, I'll look at a 73 next time I'm near one to see if the panel changed.

one with smaller notch for brake fluid reservoir (69-70?),

one with no notch for brake fluid reservoir, and notch on right side for lever that turns heat from defrost to foot vents ? Is this right?

one with no notch for brake fluid reservoir, and larger notch on right side for lever that turns heat from defrost to foot vents ? Is this right for 71-79?

Sometimes it is hard to make out the shape from the originals, as they get a bit battered. Laughing
I am not sure if the top part of the notch by the heater lever broke off for the lower pattern and it was supposed to be like the middle one, or if that lower one was really the shape. I think that lower one might be right for a 73. Rixies Ride, that would be great if you could share a picture of your 73.

These ones I made of hardboard. I haven't made bay kick panels for some years, but figured I'd start it again.
The original material is a bit more flexible. I am wondering about using a more flexy material. I was going to paint these black. Originally, the kick panels had a thin black vinyl glued one, at least most did.
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara, I added the pics to the gallery but my smartphone isn't cooperating this morning so I'm only getting part of the link to copy.

It looks like your kick panel on the bottom is correct.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I've seen some of your beautiful panels in other buses and would be interested in losing the cheap, ABS plastic, POS panels in my 70.

What are you making them out of? What's the final finish? I haven't seen what the originals were like.

Good luck Clara getting those 1/8" press boards to fit the lower channels and are flexible enough to conform to the top areas....

I learn that problem back some 25 years ago when I first started making my ABS Bay window kick panels that 1/8" doesn't work well.

Some people Rolling Eyes don't understand material science on these forums.... as the .060" ABS plastic is tougher and still flexible enough to use in this applications than 1/8" press board materials. Plus easy to trim the ABS if needed (I have made and sold maybe 10K plus ABS kick panels sets and only a hand full asking about weird applications).

I do special orders of .090" thick ABS plastic kick panels for those wanting to add speakers down there... Wink

New Bay window Bus products to be posted soon. Wink

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: all kick panels the same? Reply with quote

^^^I agree

the fiber panels look like shredded wheat on the edges trying to get them in.

good luck getting any vinyl to stick

the werksburg panels are like rubber bands. twist, fold, snap, bang DONE. I love them and have used about 6 sets at this point. no chichi looking flaky ends

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: all kick panels the same? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
^^^I agree

the fiber panels look like shredded wheat on the edges trying to get them in.

good luck getting any vinyl to stick

the werksburg panels are like rubber bands. twist, fold, snap, bang DONE. I love them and have used about 6 sets at this point. no chichi looking flaky ends

Thank you! Wink

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't kept an eye on this thread, so delayed comment here.
It's not too tricky to install these kick panels. Not sure what is meant by a lower channel... I didn't see a lower channel on a Bay window bus. Maybe that's talking about a split bus? They fit fine there. I didn't have a shredded wheat experience. Maybe if you use them as a walking stick? Wink

If you want to upholster them you might try upholstery glue. I've done upholstered panels in full sets for split microbuses, but haven't done that with the bay buses.
Most people seem to want the more budget friendly version, and upholstered with vinyl would cost more than painted black.

What I learned about installing under dash bay kicks:
1) Put center end by heater tube in first,
2) Attach screw by heater vent but don't snug it down
3) Bend the panel so there is a bulge towards you, and fit the outer edge into the slot near the door.
4) Lift outer edge so screw holes in panel line up with screw holes in bus. A pokey thing and a flashlight helps.
5) Hold lower edge and pop bulge of panel forward.
6) Install last two screws, snug all screws

If screw holes are not pre-drilled, or you don't want to bother with the screws, ignore some of the steps.
It's not like they will fall out if you don't screw them in place.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I my quest to actually make all the versions of the panels rather fewer versions in the one-size-fits-all concept, I am still figuring out details.
Wouldn't mind a little help. Very Happy
It seems there are *two* versions of kick panels 73-79 with the heater control on the dash. Any idea when the change below was made?

Smaller notch for the heater control:

Larger notch for the heater control:

Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: all kick panels the same? Reply with quote

Here is a factory 1978 kick panel.
It has the deep cut-out at the floor/defrost flap lever.
Colin

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: all kick panels the same? Reply with quote

I have recently restored my original kick panels back to like new condition. Granted I am over the top when it comes to originality. It was a nerve testing experience to say the least. I took care of the original issues of the water absorbent qualities of the press board with modern sealers and the pain staking process of sealing the edges with fiberglass resin. The backs and edges are now bullet proof from moisture. To Clara I would happily trace my original kick panels and send you the patterns. The thickness of the board and its ability to flex is the key. If I was reproducing these I would sell them bare not painted. Those of us that are hard core sticklers would have them covered in the closest available vinyl. Painting them would greatly mess up the adhesion of the vinyl. I can mic the thickness and send you patterns if you like from my 78 Westy. There are a few of us that care about such details. I am not knocking anyone's products. But for me ABS does not cut it. Let me know if I can help.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: all kick panels the same? Reply with quote

Or you take me up on my offer and take my 72 or 76 panels out when I'm in Olympia and make your own patterns. You just have to put them back in Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: all kick panels the same? Reply with quote

Is it me or is it absolutely maddening to see a post about a common question and up pops Howdy Doody plugging his products....which I have seen the samples and are fine for those that don't give a shit about originality. For the majority of the VW crowd the abs panels are the way to go.....trying to be nice here....however is there a need to bust out the my product is better then yours mentality every chance one gets to plug their product? I could be BRUTALLY honest and give my opinion as to why any Bus owner would install highly flamable engine sound deadening panels above their type 4 or type 2 engine which neither sound deaden what so ever and GREATLY increase the god forbid ensuing engine fire making a bad situation worse. Ummmm.....plastic melts and drips and is far more toxic then wood. It doesn't sound deaden anything. Perhaps you should take a class in basic physics. If your going to slam others for pursueing "original" ways of recreating parts that you peddle....it's not good form to tought your products as state of the art when in fact they rank up their with the CIPI 1 mentality that if I can sell it cheap and enough people buy my Mickey Mouse product I am in a win win. Tell me how well your ABS holds up to cold weather? Oops your kid rested his foot on it....brittle and broken. Can you affix vinyl to it....nope but bullshit will sell it. The engine sound deadening panels made out of ABS plastic are a complete fucking joke....but there is a sucker born every day. For those that's want to put speakers in their kick panels which is a terrible place to put them to begin with, and those that want to put speakers in the bottoms of their door panels.....also another terrible place to put a speaker....there are all different levels of restorers and refreshers. And there are those that believe what they read and go on price point alone. My advice to you is to not slam someone who is trying to make some money building a better mouse trap. Sorry to be so up front and harsh....but honestly since we are throwing stones....your product will do just fine for the majority of the VW crowd that just wants to fill the void. For those of us that take it seriously.....um I would rather leave the area empty and wait Til a quality near perfect piece showed up on my door. Seriously now that the gloves are off...your selling flexible textured plastic....period. The next time you
attempt to plug your products after trolling for the opportunity to do so I highly suggest you don't put down someone else who is actually making the product out of original materials....who has been doing this a loooong time before you decided you were the foremost authority on plastic....which VW NEVER used in ANY of your products. So this is a friendly heads up. If you want to stay competitive....you should never have to put down what you perceive to be competition or a threat to your business. You only end up looking like an ass.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: all kick panels the same? Reply with quote

☝🏻️THIS!

Also, he dug up a thread that was nearly 2 years old to bash the person, I had considered buying his product for my bus, but after seeing his response to her post, I may change my mind. That's NOT a good way to sell your product and you just come off like an ignorant asshole, whether you are or not, regardless of what your actual intention was.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: