Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quitting smoking
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonF wrote:
Foxx wrote:
JonF wrote:
69 Jim wrote:
JonF, Type II Diabetes and cigarettes is a certain early death. Just throw those motherfuckers in the trash and get on with your life. As soon as you toss them, you are no longer a smoker, and get healthier every hour. Be kind to yourself, you deserve it, and so does your loved ones.

thanks!! i am working on day 2 of chentix and have only had 1 smoke today.

just remember,..the loudest excuses will be the ones you tell yourself.
don't give in ,... not even the "oh,..one won't hurt me" excuse... it will.
having your mind right on quitting is the key.
all else will fail if you don't.

i did the patch and did all weeks,.. it helped.
having my mind right helped the most.

good luck!!

thanks for the support foxx.

btw my doc called earlier with my a1c results. i am down to a 5.7 and he wants to lower the dosage of my diabetes med.

Great news. Cool
spyvsspy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to love smoking. I started at 17 and quit at 28, cold turkey on June 2, 2010. To date, I have not even had one puff of a shitty ass cigarette. Why? I tallied how much I was spending a month on cigarettes and the total was $180. That figure alone was enough for me to quit cold turkey.

With the money I saved I bought me a motorcycle, hehe. Traded one dangerous habit for another!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone been succesful with the ecigarette?

I have a friend in Berkeley that swears by hers, Berkeley is not a smoker friendly town, her landloard was giving her shit, etc. So she bought one and hasnt smoked a real cigarrette in a year. Only uses it when she is really freaking out and wants to go buy a pack.

Looking for un-biased real reviews is difficult. all the reviews look like ads to me. Thanks
angus_hanger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

I have a friend in Berkeley that swears by hers, Berkeley is not a smoker friendly town, her landloard was giving her shit, etc. So she bought one and hasnt smoked a real cigarrette in a year. Only uses it when she is really freaking out and wants to go buy a pack.

Looking for un-biased real reviews is difficult. all the reviews look like ads to me. Thanks

I haven't personally used them except to try, but I work with two fellas who swear by them ... one hasn't 'lit' up in almost six months, the other about two months. The guy with six months smokes the near nil and nil filters (the amount of nicotine in it) ... the other guy I'm not sure ...
I can tell you they don't taste like a real fag ... I'll go cold turkey when I get my head in the right place ...

I know it's not what you're asking, but when I quit about three years ago cold turkey, I did antidepressants and they 'lined' me right out ... no highs, no lows ... just smooth sailing ... I started up when my mom died and I've been kicking myself ever since. It's a shitty habit.

Cheers Good Luck!
"Why yes sir, Sheriff, I do like Fat Chicks."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angus_hanger wrote:
... I'll go cold turkey when I get my head in the right place ...

. It's a shitty habit.

Cheers Good Luck!

Cold turkey is the ONLY way to do it. Like you said you have to be done with them in your head before you can physically stop.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
angus_hanger wrote:
... I'll go cold turkey when I get my head in the right place ...

. It's a shitty habit.

Cheers Good Luck!

Cold turkey is the ONLY way to do it. Like you said you have to be done with them in your head before you can physically stop.

That's what did it for me, once and for all.
txdunebuggy101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i smoked pot for twenty years and thought i could not go without it. this july 4th i was able to quit cold turkey and havent done it since. i started with like a couple doobies a week as a teen. got into selling as an adult and smoked as much as a half pound a week, it was free... i finaly told myself to quit , for my kids. after many times failing to quit, it was agreeing to myself it was for my kids that helped me make it. been smokin marlboro reds since 15. it has been HELL trying to quit. even though i say its for my kids, i cant seem to make it. i think its time to see a doctor for help. do the patches or other crap really help? whats the best crutch????
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txdunebuggy101 wrote:
i smoked pot for twenty years and thought i could not go without it. this july 4th i was able to quit cold turkey and havent done it since. i started with like a couple doobies a week as a teen. got into selling as an adult and smoked as much as a half pound a week, it was free... i finaly told myself to quit , for my kids. after many times failing to quit, it was agreeing to myself it was for my kids that helped me make it. been smokin marlboro reds since 15. it has been HELL trying to quit. even though i say its for my kids, i cant seem to make it. i think its time to see a doctor for help. do the patches or other crap really help? whats the best crutch????

If you're not ready, nothing is going to work. Just don't pick them up anymore, and you're a nonsmoker. Tough it out for a few days. Several of us did it that way and it works.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
txdunebuggy101 wrote:

If you're not ready, nothing is going to work. Just don't pick them up anymore, and you're a nonsmoker. Tough it out for a few days. Several of us did it that way and it works.

amen.
if your right in the head,.then you'll kick it.
if you are not,. then you'll look and listen for any excuse your mind tells you to go back to it.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
if you are not,. then you'll look and listen for any excuse your mind tells you to go back to it.

and it's *amazing* how small and lame that excuse can be..... Laughing trust me, I know.... Embarassed

GEX has. Just sayin
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
Foxx wrote:

and it's *amazing* how small and lame that excuse can be..... Laughing trust me, I know.... Embarassed

indeed,.. Laughing
the wife pissed me off, the boss is an idiot, the kids are on my nerves, the dog pooped in the kitchen, this "ONE" won't matter, oh this second one won't hurt me,....... etc.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have read some but not all posts in the 15 pages here; I thought I would share and support anyone who is quitting or thinking of quitting.
After starting at somewhere around 14 I smoked for nine years and then finally met the Girl of my dreams who didn't smoke and didn't really care at the time. I knew eventually that would change so I tried to get ahead of the curve and wanted to improve myself so I quit cold turkey; even after a large Italian Dinner.
I never smoked another one for 7 years and never even thought about it until I had a Motorcycle accident. While on pain killers, out of work for a while with a broken collar; I decide to smoke a Al Capone inhalable Cigar.
I liked it and enjoyed one a couple times a week while putting my bike back together with my brother. After a while I knew I was getting addicted again and the rational side of me took over and said I can get double the Marlboro's for half the price.
as I went back to college and was "sneaking" Cigs for a while trying to be a closet smoker I met another women who did not like them yet dealt with it. After 6 years and a marriage later; I said I would try Chantix to sort of shut her up for a while. After a couple months she went to the doctor and the doctor asked if I had ever taken them and she said No.
The doctor said, Tell him to just try the first one and tell him he doesn't have to quit if he is not ready".
Again to shut her up for another minute I took one.
Cigarette's started to taste bad and I could see that this could work if I gave it a chance. Right around that time my mother called and said she had quit years ago but was just diagnosed with COPD and she thought I should quit too. I had already started the Chantix but only for a few days.
I wanted to test out if all the trigger scenarios could be overcome on Chantix including the classic Beer/Cigarette combination.
I proceeded to the smoky bar on Friday and got wasted. I woke up the next morning realizing I never had a Cigarette and didn't want one. I was a 1-Pack per day or more on drinking nights kind of guy so I tested it a couple days later in the same fashion.
Still no smoking and I was only up to like 8-9 days.
About the 12-14th day I went to an Orioles Baseball game with 3 Cigarette's knowing I would be drinking beer all day and will have no access to a machine. I figured I would bum one if needed.
I got home that day with one left. I smoked half of it on the front step while saying Goodbye to family and flicked the rest!.
It was my last one since 2008.
With the arrival of my daughter in 2009; the new love of my life, I will never be a Smoker again thanks to Chantix and will-Power.
Three pieces of advice:
1)Don't read the website as you will learn too much and begin to predict how you are going to feel and that may work against you.
2)If you get nauseous when you take it; take it first thing in the morning so you will be too nauseous to want your first cigarette of the day or toeat too much.
3) Start walking/jogging/ excercising 3-5 times per week Before you quit so that you are getting your metabolism revved up to prevent weight gain. I actually lost weight when quitting using this tactic.

Best of Luck!
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Electric smoke kicks ass!
I quit for 6 weeks last year, and started again, didn't really feel any improvement to my physical health at that time.
Tried the patch and had disturbing changes in pulse.

I've been vaping for 3 weeks now and so far loving it, and feel better too.
Got two ego-style e-cigs, initially to have a spare battery but I've found it's handy to have two different flavors.
Smoking a pina-colada isn't the same as a camel but..... it's actually pretty good Very Happy
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man up, put the smokes down and move on. Or don't.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You damn former smokers Laughing You guys are the toughest on us that still do because you had the balls and willpower to pull it off. My hat is off to you. One of these days I will join your ranks - but just not ready yet. And that is the one thing that I have learned - you have to really want to and I don't yet.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
You damn former smokers Laughing You guys are the toughest on us that still do because you had the balls and willpower to pull it off. My hat is off to you. One of these days I will join your ranks - but just not ready yet. And that is the one thing that I have learned - you have to really want to and I don't yet.

Do it for your family brother...
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit cold turkey in 2000, my granddaughter was only 2 and lived with us, was my inspiration, I wanted to be a better example, and didn't want her to grow up thinking I might influence her to smoke one day, today, I can't stand the smell, and she is 15 and has no desire to ever consider it. That makes me feel better than any reason to quit for myself.

"Necessity is the mother of invention"
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoked 2 PPD for 21 years. My kids asked me to quit because it made me stink, and they didn't want me to die.

Stroke of midnight, New Years Eve, 1996, last drag on a smoke and haven't touched one since. I wasn't a happy man for about 3 weeks, ate about a metric ton of sunflower seeds, had dreams and nightmares about smoking and not smoking. It got better with time, in every respect.

Do it. Decide who is stronger, you or a cigarette. I had that conversation thousands of times. Talking to the smokes, telling them I was stronger than they were. Corny, but effective for me at least.

My wife continued to smoke, which made my quitting more difficult, but more convincing somehow. She was up to about 3 PPD until about a year and half ago. Routine doctor's appointment, diagnosed with lung cancer.

As it turns out, it was an INCORRECT diagnosis, thank God, but it scared the shit out of her.

She went to the Vaporescence store, invested the price of roughly 2 cartons of cigarettes on an electronic cigarette kit, and hasn't had a real cigarette since. The cheap ass things in the mall aren't going to do it. The Vaporescence product "bites" your throat when you take a drag, like a real cigarette. For her, that's what kept her on it, otherwise it would "just be air".

Her success was noticed by friends and co-workers, and she has more than 20 converts to her credit. Many of whom smoked as much or more for longer than her.

It may not work for everyone, but given the alternatives, I think it's worth the investment to try if you don't believe you can just put them down and be done with it.

My $0.02
steezkitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

popason wrote:
Anyone here taking the CHANTIX pills to help them quit?
I have started the program and tomorrow will be my first
day not to smoke. Any success tips will be appreciated.

Good for you, my grampa tried to quit, but it got him before he got it. Good luck!
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit 5-6 months ago
Marlboro Red
16-36 20 years.

I did it with this. Never even craved them after I was done reading.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf
Lots of people I know have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 24

Jump to: