Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

16" wheels and lowered springs?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: 16" wheels and lowered springs? Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with lowering a 2wd Westy after installing 16" wheels and tires? Specifically any rubbing or bottoming out of the tires on the body work.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards
Dave
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My westy has carat springs, and I have 16X6.5" wheels, I have 195 75 16's on the wheels. If I drive over a LARGE bump with the wheel turned all the way the tire will rub the bottom of the fender lip, well, that has only happened once.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
My westy has carat springs, and I have 16X6.5" wheels, I have 195 75 16's on the wheels. If I drive over a LARGE bump with the wheel turned all the way the tire will rub the bottom of the fender lip, well, that has only happened once.

And that is a 27.5"(ish) tall tire. The stock tire height was/is 25.6".

Dave, tire size and wheel offset have more to do with any rubbing issues than the wheel height.

Do you plan on using Carat or H&R springs?

If you stay with a 215 or 225/60/16 on a 7" wheel with the proper offset, you should be just fine.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
jackbombay wrote:

And that is a 27.5"(ish) tall tire.

27.1" according to the manufacturer, but close enough. I have had the 16's for ~30k miles now.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 16x7.5 aftermarket wheels with spacers and lugs from loogy with 225x55/16's on my 82 westy with h&r lowering springs & bilstein hd's and love it
took it fully loaded on a grand tour of the utah national parks last june and never had a problem
here's my thread on the wheels and tires
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281763&highlight=wheels
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock carat springs, maybe slightly compressed.
16x7 rims
offset =30
215/60/16 tires (26.1" tall)
No rub and I've tried to flex'm pretty hard.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 235/60/16 on my Carat. I get some very slight rubbing when the front suspension is fully compressed. A few months ago, I did cut off all but 1 bump stop from the shock covers--that may be the difference between rubbing or not.

Marc
Dave56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Thanks all Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate your willingness to share the results of your experience and expertise. I hope I can add something to the conservation some day.

Here's the specifics of what I'm thinking. This is one of the first steps of getting a '84 Westy with a 2.2 Subaru engine in it ready for use. The first step was resealing the gas tank and replacing the breather lines etc. One of the next steps will be to replace the fuel lines, the post about that was scary.

For the wheels I'm planning to use a set of Mercedes 16X7 steel, and putting 225-70-16s on them. My thinking is that a 10% increase (25.7" to 28" diameter, 734 revs/mile to 800) will give me a de facto decrease in final drive ratio. With the Subaru engine I figure it can use the reduction in revs. Then since this will increase the height of the van about an inch I was planning to put H&R springs on it that will lower it 1.5". It barely fits in the garage as it is, and this will end up lowering the van a 1/2" after all is said and done. Along with new shocks, bushings, tie rod ends, etc. I was also thinking of bigger anti sway bar in the front and maybe adding one to the rear.

With the correct spacers on the wheels (loogy I'll be in touch about that as soon as I can afford the wheels) and new bolts and drilling out the bold holes I hope this will work.

Any input from the more experienced?

Thanks again
Dave
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of my own 2wd van with Toyo Open Country A/T 225/70/R16s on 16x7 ET30 (after spacers) wheels. The specs on the tires are 28.4" tall with a 6.9" tread width.

With the wheel turned left and right to the point of minimum clearance between the body and tire, this is what you get.

A thumb and a quarter width at the rear.

Les than a pinkies width at the front.

Keep in mind that my hub center to fender lip height is 17". You can see that because of the diameter of the tire, the lower the body gets, the closer the tire will be to the front and rear fender lips, although they don't ever rub, even when turning and hitting a bump. I wouldn't want my finger in between them though as it gets pretty close.

I think that you will find that a 225/70R16 combined with H&R lowering springs, the tire will rub on the upper fender lip when traversing varying height obstacles while turning (like turning into a steep driveway) and the tire will be VERY close, if not touching, to the front fender lip while turning. Also keep in mind that less offset will make the clearance worse and all tires are different in their actual size and shape, which could make your situation much different than mine.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Dave56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Thanks Loogy Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Chris. Maybe lowering isn't the best idea. I like your setup. Do you notice reduced revs at crusing speed with it?

Regards
Dave
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn form my mistake!!!!! Razz

The H&Rs are to low for a 28" tire!! Im running 17 with an offest of 25mm and 28" tires. The first time you try to turn the fronts will feel like they're beeing riped off the van. Center to lip is only 13.5 inch.

Im running Carat springs with no troubles. If Your looking for new carat springs the brickyard.uk sells them, but only in the UK. Send them an email and they will send you a contact from AVO. AVO makes and sell them. they are TUV. approved.

jcl
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: