Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ambulance steps on Westys
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Looking for some pics of westys that originally had the ambulance step option 530. Curious if westfalia would have mounted the step in it's common position under the foward cargo door or i f they would have mounted it further back closer to the rear cargo door?
seems to me that with an icebox, stove, or other cabinet that usually blocks entry from the foward cargo door it would have made sence to mount an ambulance step more toward the rear of the bus. thoughts?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know of any specific westfalias with an ambo step. but like you, I would think that the step would be installed under the rear cargo door. Or atleast I would sure hope so, the germans did everything else so logically!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think it would depend on the model.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it in both locations.
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to mount my ambulance step under the forward cargo door. I do not have an icebox and I prefer it that way. I'd rather only have to open one door in the middle of the night to go wee wee when I am camping. I have a 3-way fridge (that I can move outside) when I camp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
I've seen it in both locations.

x2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 63 westy in 91 with the step mounted under the forward cargo door.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those who have seen ambo steps in both locations, do you know if this was a factory, westfalia, or dealer install?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was done at the factory in Hannover, unless Westfalia stamped the m-code plate with the code....maybe dealer install??

Here is one from a 1961 I bought in Riverside California, with the box so close to the forward cargo door I thought it was in a odd place. This was a Tourist Delivery program Camping Box

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here is one I found at the Pomona Swap meet...this one is a Special Kolor palm green sand green high tailight Camping Box, notice the placement of the step...much better...it was also M-coded for the SK and the step...I would have to check the m-code plate to see if it was a Tourist Delivery program Camping Box.....what a deal at $1,800.00 Shocked It stayed in So Cal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome pics mango juice. that's exactly what i was looking for.

any evidence that the step on the 59? so-23 was moved to the rear? if i had to guess, i would say it hadn't been moved due to the wood floor being installed. it would have probably been too much trouble for a previous owner back in the day to remove the cabinets and floor to access the step bolts; that's purely speculation of course.

looks like the correct early style non-belly step for that year bus as well.
m-coded to that bus too. if this step has not been moved, i would say that's some hard evidence that steps for westys were mounted in a different location from the factory.

Thomas Jefferson
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 59 so23 i cut up a few yrs ago had it mounted under the rear dr bolts under the wood
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember that bus that got cut up. thanks for that info

Thomas Jefferson
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that SK SO23 had never been messed with other than the white house paint over the SK original paint....pretty cool bus, there are more photos of it in my gallery here on the samba.

I thought maybe Vw had sent the 1961 bus to Westfalia with the step mounted as a empty can and Westfalia installed the interior/sub hatch but I have no way of knowing other than the photos of different ones I have seen... I have no hard proof if it was done at Vw or Westfalia.
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: step Reply with quote

My 2/62 S034 is front door mounted and is an m-coded 530 step in its original location
Gunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 66 westfalia so 44 dormobile is m coded 530 and is mounted under front door, which is a total waste, cannot even use it!
Gunter
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Bumping this thread hoping to get some additional information/pics of Westfalia buses with ambulance steps.

If you have a Westy and it has m-code 530 please post the location of your step. Some were mounted under the forward cargo door, some under the rear.

If you have a rear door mounted step, posting the measurement of either of the frame rail mounting holes would be super helpful.

Thomas Jefferson
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Does anyone actually use them or find them useful? I thought about putting one on m SO34 but am wondering if its even worth it

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Does anyone actually use them or find them useful? I thought about putting one on m SO34 but am wondering if its even worth it

I have never used one, so I have no idea, Aren't they generally rusted stuck? Does anyone have one that works?
I had a later step that goes in the jack points on a bus, I found that useful. Different look, though.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
crofty wrote:

I have never used one, so I have no idea, Aren't they generally rusted stuck? Does anyone have one that works?
I had a later step that goes in the jack points on a bus, I found that useful. Different look, though.

I have a "normal" one that was stuck that I was able to fix; I also have an NOS belly - pan version. The NOS one would probably shatter your shins if you standing too close when you opened it.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance steps on Westys Reply with quote

thom wrote:
Clara wrote:
crofty wrote:

I have a "normal" one that was stuck that I was able to fix; I also have an NOS belly - pan version. The NOS one would probably shatter your shins if you standing too close when you opened it.

I have a rusted shut one, can't figure out how to get it apart to unsrick it. Tell us your magic juju to get it undone if you please.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: