Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockandsnowjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

Hello, I'm planning to replace my horribly unreliable 1.9L gas engine in my 1983 vanagon with either a EJ25 or a newer (2002ish) VW TDI engine. With the EJ25 putting out 165hp (with not great fuel economy) and the TDI 90Hp, with a turbo of course, and amazing fuel economy, what (i know this will be conflicting) is a better conversion for resurrecting my defunct vanagon?

Thanks for any advice.
djbside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at all at the Bostig Conversion?

I have spent the last 4 months researching the Subie, Tiico, Bostig (Zetec), and the various TDI options out there... Even weighed the idea of a TenCent motor... And to me, the Bostig seems to offer the best of all things to consider.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

rockandsnowjunkie wrote:
Hello, I'm planning to replace my horribly unreliable 1.9L gas engine in my 1983 vanagon with either a EJ25 or a newer (2002ish) VW TDI engine. With the EJ25 putting out 165hp (with not great fuel economy) and the TDI 90Hp, with a turbo of course, and amazing fuel economy, what (i know this will be conflicting) is a better conversion for resurrecting my defunct vanagon?

Thanks for any advice.

Not to be rude, but:
1. Use the search here. Try TDI AND Subaru as search terms. It's been discussed already.
2. Go over to the Yahoo Subaru Vanagon group and search. It's also the place to learn about Subaru conversions.
3. Then, if your questions aren't answered, post but give more information -- do you already have a diesel? How much are you willing to spend(alot for either, BTW)? Do you live in California(emissions)? What are your priorities?
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Ben's site as well.
http://www.benplace.com/
It is loaded with Suby conversion info. He is in Montreal, but hey, Canada is a small country, right?
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your self some work and check out Bostig Engineering
Grizzly_black
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken, diesel is cheaper than gas in CA. If you were to convert to a subaru the best you will get is around 22 MPG, The z-tec conversion will get about the same. With a TDI you will get 30+ if you re-gear your transmission. Cheaper fuel and better fuel economy. I would focus on a TDI. Check out the TDI vanagon Yahoo group.

Just my thoughts and opinions.
Grizz
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grizzly_black wrote:
If I am not mistaken, diesel is cheaper than gas in CA. If you were to convert to a subaru the best you will get is around 22 MPG, The z-tec conversion will get about the same. With a TDI you will get 30+ if you re-gear your transmission. Cheaper fuel and better fuel economy. I would focus on a TDI. Check out the TDI vanagon Yahoo group.

Just my thoughts and opinions.
Grizz

Diesel is alot more in Ca. than gas right now.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since he's in Canada, I can't figure why the cost of diesel in Calif would matter to guy.
Interesting decision though.
The suby doesn't get nearly the mpg, but it's a real easy conversion and cheap, like 3,000 diy.
The tdi gets great (comparitive) mpg, but it's a lot tougher to do, and if you can't handle it, well over 10,000 to have it done.
Which way to go?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In California I just saw diesel for $2.29 and gas at $1.99

If you get 18mpg with a gas engine and 30 with a diesel then your paying about $.08 per mile with diesel and $.11 per mile with gas.

1983.5 Watercooled Vanagon 'L' Automatic transmission
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1Z or AHU TDI engine can be installed under the decklid using all of the stock diesel vanagon mounting hardware. A mechanical TDI injection pump makes the installation waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy simpler than a Subaru install. Mechanical TDI injection pumps are available from several different online vendors.

Andrew
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with a 2.5 suby. DIY lots of time doing the jigery pokery, would cost an arm and leg to get it done(8k?).

Like the Bosting Ztec. But $$. (there was a 89 on the seattle C/L for 10k done)

Love the diesel but again $$. It seams like every freak show out there wants a TDI wich drove the price way up. (I seen a guy stuffing one in a toyota 4x4??? ) The seattle C/L has a 90 diesel for 7k.

A good rebuild 2.1 wbx would be the most cost effective.?

OR wait for the suby boxer Diesel?

I kid
good luck jcl
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without either unlimited time for a DIY build, or unlimited $$ to pay for a proper TDI, Suby or Bostig install, id also go the rebuilt 2.1 WBX for your van. bang for buck-wise it really can't be beat... (unless of course money or time aren't a concern for this project.)
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt an engine conversion more about less fussing with the engine than MPG? A few MPG if not a big deal, however cost of upkeep and posssbile parts, or even a new motor if it blows can be astronomical. I can get a Ford Zetec for about $300 here in MIchigan with less than 20k on it. When I was looking at Subby conversion I couldnt find one with under 100k for under 2k, same thing with diesel. The guys at BOSTIG have done there home work on this one foiks....
BTW it runs E85 (its about $1.50 by my house today) if you simply reconfigure, which is no hassel. And if its a matter of power, the future holds the plan of a turbo to give you another 80 or HP to the extra 45hp gained with the engine conversion its self,
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgargan wrote:

If you get 18mpg with a gas engine and 30 with a diesel then your paying about $.08 per mile with diesel and $.11 per mile with gas.

I very rarely get MPGs as low as 30 with my TDI. My TDI has all the electronics.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

rockandsnowjunkie wrote:

Thanks for any advice.

I would go Bostig ratter than VW, that is for sure. Just because it's another VWm haaaa ha ha ha.... I just change a clutch this week on a Jetta Diesel. beuarkkkkk..... i had dirty oil even in my underwear. he he he.

Bostig does some good work, i agree. Me, I'm happy with Subaru.
Just a little note about all the folk that think that a 2.5L is thirsty, your deadly wrong. A 2.5L will beat any IN SHAPE VW gas engine. Most of the time you will get a 20% increase in fuel consumption. So please... after 42,000 km i should know.

I really like the cool fight between stock engine, Bostig, Diesel and Subi but let's keep it straight and fair, it's all good for the customers, the curious and the DIY, the more option the better it is!!! No one here will ever be my customer, i'm too expensive anyway Smile so it's just for the fun of it.

Here is my engine after 1.5 years.... (i took the pictures 3 days ago)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Remember one thing, i'm my first and most important customer!
This engine as been out 2 time now for some personal modification, i should do a dyno test next week, i think i have pass 200hp, still no Turbo and still pretty good on fuel. We are working on 2 new heavily modified heads. I took pictures.... i will show everything someday, but before, i have to keep working and finish the work on the STI engine.

Cheers, Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ryan Keating
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 84 westy with a suby 2.2 ej22 and a 85 passenger with a great running 1.9 and the difference is huge. The suby westy is much faster and climbs the canyons to the ski resorts much more easily.I can only imagine what the 2.5 would do. If I could have found a good donor for a TDI I would go that way but the conversion cost is much higher. Which ever way you go it's fun and the rewards are great. I think the stock vanagon engine was great when the speed limit was 55 but with it being 75 the stock engine must go. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben that engine is so clean it's disgusting! How can you live with that thing?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Ben that engine is so clean it's disgusting! How can you live with that thing?

I can't sleep at night Sad Your right, tomorrow is will take some disgusting VW dirty oily dirt stuff from one of the many dead engine i have in the shop and pour some on it.... Haaaaaaaaaa.......ha ha ha, i'm soooooooo bad!!!!

JUST A JOKE!!!!! take it easy Smile

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you really like the challenge of putting a square peg in a round hole get an engine from tencentlife, it's plug and play compared to anything else. No trying to match different coolant lines or wires just hooking the old stuff back up where it came from.

When I was in my teens I put a V8 in my CJ5, it was fun but what a pain in the a@@. I swore to never swap in a non-standard engine again but I'm not to bright so I put a TDI in my van and learned the lesson all over again.

Personally I would probably put in a TDI again but I like the challenge and don't need my van for a daily driver. If I couldn't burn biodiesel I wouldn't do again though. You also need to rebuild/regear your tranny or you'll hate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairweather wrote:
You also need to rebuild/regear your tranny or you'll hate it.

No one thinks of the $2k+ needed for the trans when it's a gas to diesel conversion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: