Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Many modified e-TDI's do have EGT issues and smoke issues that come along with higher fuel levels which are a part of chipped ECU's and larger nozzle swaps.

My other TDI is putting down ~180 hp at the wheels, fwiw. EGTs aren't really an issue, and neither is smoke, yea, it leaves a bit at WOT, but its only really visible at night in headlights.

I really don't see where the fear of computers comes from, an e-tdi is no harder to work on than an M-tdi, its just a different system, and actually, in many ways its easier to work on, IMO of course.

westyventures wrote:
....perhaps you don't understand...

Maybe it was just luck that I have revived several mechanically injected Diesels from non running condition...

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

Quote:
My other TDI is putting down ~180 hp at the wheels

Show me a dyno sheet... and even if it's true (and strangely i believe you), for how long will it last.... it's so easy to boost an engine, but will it last?

My neighbour as a VW tunning shop, i often PLAY with him on engine, mostly Turbo Diesel. It's pretty easy to reach the 180-190hp.... but it won't last.

Cheers, Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday I tilted up the engine cover thinking I might do some work on the engine. I was kinda bummed when I realized there was nothing to do. I was never disappointed when I had the WBX. So, I cleaned the interior instead.

Marc
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Quote:
My other TDI is putting down ~180 hp at the wheels

Show me a dyno sheet... and even if it's true (and strangely i believe you), for how long will it last.... it's so easy to boost an engine, but will it last?

My neighbour as a VW tunning shop, i often PLAY with him on engine, mostly Turbo Diesel. It's pretty easy to reach the 180-190hp.... but it won't last.

Cheers, Ben

The notable mods include, complete 11mm pump with extra timing advance capability, R520 nozzles, walbro lift pump, and a larger turbo, and a custom ecu tune, plus many more smaller supporting mods.

Also a leaking HG Hhahaha Sad It is the tiniest of leaks for now, no oil in the coolant, and no coolant in the oil, no olil loss and no coolant loss, but there is a bit of soot in the coolant

Its most likely leaking because of the ARP headstuds, many people have had HG leaks after installing the ARP studs, go figure. While very few people have had leaking issues with the OEM stretch bolts. I have a new HG and OEM stretch bolts on the way to me now along with all the other necessary bits for head R&R, and since the head is off I might as well have it ported, right Twisted Evil

Nowdays there are many TDIs running around with close to 200 WHP, and notable failures are few and far between. I don't beat on my car though, I actually don't floor it all that often, its so damn fast with 3/4 of a go pedal that flooring it is never "needed", but every now and then I have to mat it just to make sure its still all working right Razz

Samba ad here.

rockandsnowjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, thanks a ton!!! I'll be sorting through the rest of things and getting started in the next few weeks. I'll be sure and update things once completed. I think i've found a suitable 2.5L engine for the van, going to check it out tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for their expertise!
gnarly 928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Just for grins..How bout an Inline 4 vw motor? Reply with quote

I am new over here in the forum and I don't know if this conversion has been discussed before, but I have one and I couldn't be more pleased with the way it's been working for about 2 years now...and about 40k miles up and down the west US.

Mine is an 84 "topless" camper with westy stuff inside but no roof tent. I have a 92 Golf/Jetta/Cabriolet 1.8liter 8 valve inline VW motor in it with a 5 speed tranny. A very mild cam and a performance exhaust gives me (guess)~120hp and I've kept mileage records at 23.5mpg for all those miles...many with a total full load of tools or a few bikes and camping gear at about 65-75 mph.

You can buy the inline motors for about $3-600 everywhere. They are dead simple to work on. The conversion uses all the same electrical stuff and the gas inline four VW is the very same block as the VW diesel motor, so it pretty much fits right in, just like the old diesel Vanagons..with some slight cutting to clear the injection on the drivers side of the engine bay..A little work to fab a route from the vanagon air filter around to the throttle body and some diesel van motor mounts. There are also aftermarket kits available.. I see em in the classifieds here often.

If you want inexpensive, easy to do, dependable...you might look at these as an alternative. The fellow who did the one I have (he is a carpenter, not a professional mechanic) ...he said he did the whole conversion in one day and drove it from Tacoma to Long Beach the very next day...I don't think that would be likely with a Subie...but then when a subie is all sorted out, it would be more powerful for sure..

I was recently at my local parts place in Boring, Oregon and they had six of the little inline 1.8 and 2 liter motors. Top price was $800, complete...You couldn't even replace a TDI turbo for that..

Just sayin...
Don Hanson
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockandsnowjunkie wrote:
David, thanks a ton!!! I'll be sorting through the rest of things and getting started in the next few weeks. I'll be sure and update things once completed. I think i've found a suitable 2.5L engine for the van, going to check it out tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for their expertise!

You're very welcome! Feel free to ask about anything else that comes up during the project. I'm usually on here at least once a day.

BTW, if you're going with a 2.5 make sure it is the later SOHC version. The early DOHC (1996-1999) 2.5s were problem motors and did much to erode the reputation of Subaru engines.

All the best,

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Just for grins..How bout an Inline 4 vw motor? Reply with quote

gnarly 928 wrote:
Top price was $800, complete...You couldn't even replace a TDI turbo for that..

Well, apples to apples, a used working TDI turbo can be had for as little as $100.

Samba ad here.

gnarly 928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Just for grins..How bout an Inline 4 vw motor? Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
gnarly 928 wrote:
Top price was $800, complete...You couldn't even replace a TDI turbo for that..

Well, apples to apples, a used working TDI turbo can be had for as little as $100.

"Jack" Hey, I am interested in your TDI conversion. Is that done like the factory Vanagon deisel motor, on a 50 deg. slant? Does it fit into the engine compartment without raising the decklid in the van? About how much did yours cost you to complete? I want to do another "Perfect" Westphailia..possibly on the Syncro chassis, so I'm researching the options.

Thanks, Don Hanson
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorge Runner wrote:
Sunday I tilted up the engine cover thinking I might do some work on the engine. I was kinda bummed when I realized there was nothing to do. I was never disappointed when I had the WBX. So, I cleaned the interior instead.
Marc

Wink YOU BASTARD! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Your motor setup is sweet. I am still jealeous!
1621 wrote:

Best line of the day - after looking over Gorge Runner's SVX conversion, Carterzest re-dubbed him "Engorged Runner." Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
Gorge Runner wrote:
Marc

Its just a little old 2.O liter motor--nothing to get all worked up over. Why don't you do a conversion? Just imagine, about every ten minutes, some kid either blows a WRX or plows it into a ditch. So supply really isn't a problem. Some of the wrecks go to the kid that blew the motor, the rest are for Vanagons Twisted Evil

Marc
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does that intercooler get enough airflow to work properly?? WRX has BIG-A$$ air scoop, that looks kinda wedged up into the deck lid. fan assist from the bottom? Or is that why the insulation is pulled. Did I just answer my own question?
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackDogVan wrote:

How does that intercooler get enough airflow to work properly?? WRX has BIG-A$$ air scoop, that looks kinda wedged up into the deck lid. fan assist from the bottom? Or is that why the insulation is pulled. Did I just answer my own question?

Good question. I don't really know that it does, but there is a massive amount of air circulation in the compartment. I've never noticed the engine compartment to be super hot and I think its because of the airflow coming from under the van and being forced though the scoops.

Honestly, I really don't run it hard enough for the intercooler to become a glowing heat sink. I have monitored the intake air temp through the ECU and its always at ambient air temps, but that's at the MAF sensor, as far as I know. Fresh air undoubtedly heats up between the air cleaner and the throttle body, but your guess is as good as mine. In short, I haven't noticed the a performance hit even in the Summer.

When I have a reason to take it out, I'll cut the side flaps off the IC. But yeah, the firewall is almost completely gone and I removed the insulation to increase circulation and stop any contact during motor vibration.

Marc
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its just a little old 2.O liter motor--nothing to get all worked up over. Why don't you do a conversion? Just imagine, about every ten minutes, some kid either blows a WRX or plows it into a ditch. So supply really isn't a problem. Some of the wrecks go to the kid that blew the motor, the rest are for Vanagons Twisted Evil

Maybe one of these days but my WBX motor is at 105K original and was redone at 92K, said the PO..... Still running strong. I am just soaking it all in and hoping that I never have to "lead the pack" on a run up Mt. Hood or I will be doing a conversion sooner than expected. I just take my time and keep it in shape Laughing Someday! Very Happy
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It would not have enough cooling in this position if it was in a race van, but! the WRX Intercooler is bigger than needed unless you race that car /van at 7300rpm for hours.

Mine will be on the left side of the transmission, in front of the Turbo facing forward. It just need a little be more piping.

Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Quote:

It would not have enough cooling in this position if it was in a race van, but! the WRX Intercooler is bigger than needed unless you race that car /van at 7300rpm for hours.

Mine will be on the left side of the transmission, in front of the Turbo facing forward. It just need a little be more piping.

Ben

That's right, for racing a dedicated source of cool air seems pretty intuitive. Some sort of water sprayer on this intercooler would help keep things cool and I think Eric Didier used the rear window washer on one of his rigs. But there are some pretty sophisticated water/air intercoolers that can be used as long as your willing to do some serious plumbing and some serious spending.

I've thought about relocating the IC as Ben suggested. But I'll let Ben do the R&D first Very Happy
CORVAIRBUSGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: how bout some pics Reply with quote

Pretty pics all them subarus BUT anyone got pics of the backside, the underside, and the adapter plate????
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: how bout some pics Reply with quote

CORVAIRBUSGUY wrote:
Pretty pics all them subarus BUT anyone got pics of the backside, the underside, and the adapter plate????

What& Something like that:

If you want more i have plenty here:
http://www.benplace.com/subaru_ej25_2007.htm

Ben
funwithlint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: New Nissan SD diesel Luddite conversion kit for all vanagons Reply with quote

Hey Check this out!! Is this for real?? Shocked

http://vanagondiesel.com/

I heard about this, in the works... its now availiable... you can get low hassle cheap diesels for vanagons... I cut and pasted this from thier web site...

"A low cost alternative to electrically complicated diesel
engines, the Luddite conversion kit introduces a simple
diesel engine for VW Vanagons. The Luddite kit
replaces the problematic stock Wasserboxer platform with the
Nissan SD series ultra reliable and brutally simple engine,
procurable from sources like forklifts, boats and road vehicles.
If you want an engine that is good on fuel and gets around
with uncanny dependability; then the Nissan SD is your engine.
If you want performance to be able to drive like an animal, then
look elsewhere. The Nissan engine is a far more reliable with an
infinitely rugged design. The common "flaw" of most other small
diesel engines out there is two part:
1) They use ALUMINUM cylinder heads (warp and crack)
2) They use BELT driven camshafts and injection pumps.
The Nissan SD series engines are all cast iron, and employ a pushrod design.
What diesel needs overhead camshafts unless the manufacturer is trying to cut costs at your expense? The Nissan SD camshaft and injection pump are not driven with a belt, not with a chain, but with STEEL GEARS.
This kit is designed to help owners overcome the usual nagging issues common to stock 1.9L and 2.1L Wasserboxers, with the prototype installation tallying over 500 miles in service. Along with this kit, there are only a few other diesel conversions currently on the market, each with their respective benefits and drawbacks.
The Luddite includes the basic components to mechanically adapt an SD engine to your existing transmission. Detailed installation instructions are provided on this site with handy links to forums for additional details. Print out what you need, find an engine, buy what kits parts you want, and dig in like the rest of us crazy folk who love their Vanagons so much more than we do early German fuel injection
systems.Luddite Vanagon"[img][/img]
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nissan SD diesel Luddite conversion kit for all vana Reply with quote

Well...I'll jump in on this one! Cheap is relative. IF you can locate of these engines, but then what about parts? Modern diesels (TDI) with aluminum heads do not crack and warp, that's pure misinformation. Nor are belts and overhead cams "the manufacturer trying to cut costs at your expense". What BULL crap. Belt- and chain-driven cams are just as reliable, or more so, as any antiquated pushrod design. The maintenance cost is small compared to the efficiency derived from the head design. These folks need to look around a little more closely when making broad statements. What about fit? Read the 'Cons' in the website. Cutting reinforcements in the rear of the van? Loss of clearance? These don't sound like convincing pluses for the conversion. maybe if one has this engine 'just lying around' it would be a 'good' conversion. But the TDI is far better in almost every area. Sometimes modern IS better, and IMO this applies in this case as well. There are in fact better diesels out there if you want robust and rock-solid dependability. Unfortunately, most of these engines were never sold in the US. For instance, the little Ford 2.8. The MWM 2.8 TDI. (well, anything MWM for that matter, they make a ton of the diesels used around the world) To install a diesel that has less HP and torque while not gaining much in the way of fuel efficiency seems a step backward to me.

funwithlint wrote:
Hey Check this out!! Is this for real?? Shocked

http://vanagondiesel.com/

I heard about this, in the works... its now availiable... you can get low hassle cheap diesels for vanagons... I cut and pasted this from thier web site...

"A low cost alternative to electrically complicated diesel
engines, the Luddite conversion kit introduces a simple
diesel engine for VW Vanagons. The Luddite kit
replaces the problematic stock Wasserboxer platform with the
Nissan SD series ultra reliable and brutally simple engine,
procurable from sources like forklifts, boats and road vehicles.
If you want an engine that is good on fuel and gets around
with uncanny dependability; then the Nissan SD is your engine.
If you want performance to be able to drive like an animal, then
look elsewhere. The Nissan engine is a far more reliable with an
infinitely rugged design. The common "flaw" of most other small
diesel engines out there is two part:
1) They use ALUMINUM cylinder heads (warp and crack)
2) They use BELT driven camshafts and injection pumps.
The Nissan SD series engines are all cast iron, and employ a pushrod design.
What diesel needs overhead camshafts unless the manufacturer is trying to cut costs at your expense? The Nissan SD camshaft and injection pump are not driven with a belt, not with a chain, but with STEEL GEARS.
This kit is designed to help owners overcome the usual nagging issues common to stock 1.9L and 2.1L Wasserboxers, with the prototype installation tallying over 500 miles in service. Along with this kit, there are only a few other diesel conversions currently on the market, each with their respective benefits and drawbacks.
The Luddite includes the basic components to mechanically adapt an SD engine to your existing transmission. Detailed installation instructions are provided on this site with handy links to forums for additional details. Print out what you need, find an engine, buy what kits parts you want, and dig in like the rest of us crazy folk who love their Vanagons so much more than we do early German fuel injection
systems.Luddite Vanagon"[img][/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: