Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Creative Engineering Rack and Pinion ?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
singlecabboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Creative Engineering Rack and Pinion ? Reply with quote

Anyone have it on their bus ? and is there a distrbutor in the U.S. ?
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling it a rack and pinion is a bit over the top, at it is is a rack that replaces the steering box.
I still uses from the steering arm back. So if you want to pay $900+ tax+ shipping for a steering box replacement with good ground clearance go head.

I love the mumbo jumbo sales waffle in his add

"At last ! Feel safe driving your bus. Junk that 100 year old technology and say good by to boat steering.
We offer the most precise steering you can imagine. Wives and girlfriends, its your turn to drive!"

Oh just F**k off, how insulting can you get.

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?p=3998013
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Runboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, that one is pretty funny! It should read more like "over complicated half rack and pinion steering box replacement".
Rack and pinion would eliminate the drag link, tie rods, center link, and steering box.
I personally don't see the steering box as an issue as simple as it is with very few moving parts. All of the connections after that are where the play can really start adding up.
I have thought about the rack idea in the past. I just don't know how you could get the column connected to the rack as far back as it sits. Would take one heck of a u-joint contraption.
Plus you would have to use a center mount rack or it would be bump-steer central.
Mike

Here was a bit more info on that setuphttp://www.kieftenklok.net/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,1206/category_id,20/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,8/lang,en/

I guess I wouldn't be able to get one if I wanted it because I don't know any "experienced automotive engineers" to install it.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that rack setup is bogus.
singlecabboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: rack and pinion Reply with quote

Is it bogus because it's not a true rack and pinion or that it doesn't work any better than stock. ? Has anyone out there installed one of these on their bus.? Thanx for everyones imput.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly. all it does is replace the steering box, which when in good condition a steering box as VERY little if no slop.

by leaving the centerlink and two tie rods, you are still dealing with the centerpin bushings and tie rod ends. The rack does not change the suspension/steering geometry either.

if you want to run a "real" rack and pinion, get yourself a vanagon steering box and fabricate a mount for it in the stock steering boz location. Then make a coupler for the stock steering column to fit on the vanagon box splined shaft. Out of the vanagon box, run a shaft with u joints at each end to connect to the center mount/center pinion rack that is attatched to the back side of the beam. Then make yourself some tie rods that are the correct length. Even this is not an optimal rack and pinion because the steering column does not directly connect to the pinion of the rack.

or just pay excessively for the "kit".
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what im talking about, except it would be much better to find a center pinion, or left side pinion rack so you wouldnt have some crazy cross-chassis linkage like this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here is another detail of the vanagon steeringbox.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alaskan Adventurer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This r&P looks nice..I have heard about useing a BMW rack and vanagon box.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greg334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK?

I looked at the manufactures site, read the information from the company and wonder why are they allowed to patent the thing. I mean that I have seen a couple hot rods from the 70's, I think one was a 36 ford that used a short rack (looked like the same rack too) in place of the steering box and drag link. I know this is nothing new and surely not something that should be patented.

The second thing that comes to mind looking at the image of the rack with the four U joints is why is anyone using a rack from a lhd vehicle, get one from a rhd drive vehicle and turn it around and it will work great. Then all you need it two U joints form the steering gear box to the rack.

Or am I wrong about that?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg334 wrote:

The second thing that comes to mind looking at the image of the rack with the four U joints is why is anyone using a rack from a lhd vehicle, get one from a rhd drive vehicle and turn it around and it will work great. Then all you need it two U joints form the steering gear box to the rack.

Or am I wrong about that?

thats what I was explaining in my post.

Also, the two steering styles pictures are NOT the systems spoken about in the initial post.
singlecabboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: rack and pinion Reply with quote

You guys are awsome.I think we can build our own now.Great pictures .Anymore info or pics would be greatly appreciatted.Total cost ect.
Alaskan Adventurer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: rack and pinion Reply with quote

singlecabboy wrote:
You guys are awsome.I think we can build our own now.Great pictures .Anymore info or pics would be greatly appreciatted.Total cost ect.

Iam with Singlecabboy, We can build our own, All it took SLED was some good pics to get things rolling!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your super low and dont want to raise the steering box maybe I can see why you want to do all this but to me stock steering is fine.

In the uk we have yearly inspection , and are not allowed excessive play in any of those steering joints. So our steering has to be tight, "come on girlfriends and wives its your turn to drive!!!"

Wanting a rack is yet another step forward towards that you would be happier in a minivan and giving your bus to me. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us TCB guys know when you get things fabbed up Paul.
I definitely want to check it out...

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
WorkingClass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wanting a rack is yet another step forward towards that you would be happier in a minivan and giving your bus to me.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's tru, i'm almost feeling guilty about wanting a steering rack.

I also looked at the CE rack aslo but i don't see any gain on that....if i convert to anything it has to be a full rack/pinion.

I thought of using a T25/ T3 steering box and a right hand drive 1303 or a golf MK2 rack and pinion..
It easy to make...the only thing i don't like is the T25/T3 steering box.......still looking for an alternative.....any ideas anybody????
Alaskan Adventurer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hot rod Rack&Pinoin supplyer looking in to a kit for splitwindows. I will keep you guys informed..
keith_romer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one last week Embarassed . It should arrive in a week or two. I will post pics after the install and a honest review. Should be on the road by the beginning of January.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith_romer wrote:
I ordered one last week Embarassed . It should arrive in a week or two. I will post pics after the install and a honest review. Should be on the road by the beginning of January.

So what made you spend $1100 to replace your steering box?, (never to late to cancel and order Wink )
keith_romer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thanks for the advice, As promised I will give a honest review.

Last edited by keith_romer on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:48 am; edited 2 times in total
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a licensed mechanical engineer I'd have to say that's the sorriest piece of crap I've ever seen in my life! Eyeball Engineering had a more elegant solution for beetles with their double A arm suspension with true rack and pinion steering kit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: