Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug spray questions (Haterz stay away)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Bug spray questions (Haterz stay away) Reply with quote

Howdy yall. I was lookin at a holley bugspray 2110. he said it was on an 1835. What would i need (as far as jets , venturies, etc.) to get it to work on a 1600, or a 1776? or what size stuff are yall running to atleast get me close, so i can adjust from there? I hear from a lot of people that when jetted correctly, and in good running order they can run great. I know it will cause my gas mileage to suck, but i just want more power.

And please, i don't want to hear those carbs suck or whatever, cause i know that they can be made to run on a 1500sp. and most of the haters out there have only had experience with old worn out carbs. Also i don't want to hear "get some dual ICT's" or whatever, cause i don't want to deal with the sync issues, and all that shit. i also know about the icing issues, and plan to solve that by fabbing up an airfilter with the pre-heater hose connection (and to have two of them (one from each side of the engine), and even fabbing up heatrisers to go around the base of the carb (maybe even fab something up using superconducting pipes from a computer, but that idea is still on the drawing board Laughing ).

unless you have something bad to say, and its backed by facts like why "009 dizzys are bad cause the advance curve is different from the carb". NOT "i hate them cause they never work for me".

Thanks in advance yall
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK trying to be positive, do you know anyone that had a good thing to say about that carb???
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sandshark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll bite...

Years ago, I had one on a 1650cc street super bug - my first car. I loved the carb... it ran good, and made great power I thought. And yeah, I took a bunch of crap for it (duh, why you running that "bogspray"?)... but I didn't care - I liked it.

Early on, it DID have a flat spot just off acceleration. We just got some jet drills and kept drilling out the ??? jets step by step until the flat spot pretty much disappeared. As for ??? - I am sorry to say I can't remember WHAT jets we drilled out... like I say, it has been YEARS... like early 90's.
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome, i'm just glad someone here could confirm that it CAN work good.

and yes i've heard of many people saying they got it to work great. one guy on a 1500sp in a bug, another in a 60something bus, and it even got 20mpg. a few others. I'm just wondering what jet sizes i should go with. The guy i want to buy it from said it was on an 1835. so if i want to use it on a 1600 or 1776 do ya think i would have to go bigger or smaller? do you think it might run good with the jets it has, or will i just have to wait till i get it on the motor to tell weather or not i'll need to change them?
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandshark wrote:
OK I'll bite...

Years ago, I had one on a 1650cc street super bug - my first car. I loved the carb... it ran good, and made great power I thought. And yeah, I took a bunch of crap for it (duh, why you running that "bogspray"?)... but I didn't care - I liked it.

Early on, it DID have a flat spot just off acceleration. We just got some jet drills and kept drilling out the ??? jets step by step until the flat spot pretty much disappeared. As for ??? - I am sorry to say I can't remember WHAT jets we drilled out... like I say, it has been YEARS... like early 90's.

oh and yes thats exactly what i'm looking for. I'm cool if you say it was bad, and tell what you did to fix it. "it bogged and had a flat spot, but when i drilled the jets it got better". thats exactly what i'm looking for. NOT "it sucks", "why the hell would you use it", "you are an idiot for using it", "get some ICT's". I don't want comments like that. Also don't come on here saying "i could never get it to work" thats not helping. but the quote above is exactly what i need. I know the carb can work good, i just want to figure out how. Wink
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any carb can be made to work on any engine, but due to the poor gain in extra performance that singles with bad manifolds give, most people jump to twins to get much more bang from the $

However you want to go for this single and with correct set up it can made work fine.

So are you putting it on a 1600 or a 1776? Confused and what are any other modifications, something as small as a exhaust change can require different jetting

Since so few people use that carb your going to have few responses from people on a baseline jetting guess.

To jet my own engine I have bought a http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php
Which uses a wide band oxygen sensor in the exhaust to "sniff" the air fuel ratio in the engine, you can then change jets till you get the required readings.

You can rent one here http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=LGU0016&cartid=1024200890774153

More efficient carburation can yield better than stock mpg's if you dont have a heavy foot, so your friend getting 20mpg had a sucky set up.

I get 30mpg out of my bus at 60mph on the freeway, 25 round town.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tinnocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought one new, out of the box in the late 70's, earley 80's and it ran great with no jetting issues or flat spots. Installed it on a rebuilt 1600 with 88 jugs.
junior55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like they are trying to squeak in some opinion in a subliminal fashion!...

But a man on a mission is a man on a mission...

I just want to say that there were issues early on with the cast portion of the bugspray, in addition to the plenum manifold below it.

If your cast base has the moon cut equalizer between the barrels, then you have the upgrade!
If you re using the large combined plenum manifold, then you are better yet!

If you're using the separate runner manifold without the equalizer carb base, then you are heading into a storm!

Just swabbing out my memories on the bugspray.....
sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a few bugspray carbs. My plan was to run dual bugsprays. Ive got the carbs and the manifolds already. Due to life, I just havent done anything with them.

I liked the idea of using a Holley. Being a musclecar fan, Ive got all the Holley tuning knowledge and a huge jet assortment. The bugspray uses standard Holley jets, that you can buy almost anywhere. To tune out the flat spot- if you have one, usually the accelerator pump squirter need to be enlarged.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/448794 (Vette,Nova,Typhoon)
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check of the manifold thing later on to know if i have the upgrades.

Also, what about adding an air/fuel mixture guage? I've seen them everywhere (advance auto, summit, etc.) What about adding one of those. I know i have to weld on a bung to the exhaust to accept an O2 sonsor. Will those guages accomplish the same thing as the tool you can rent from aircooled.net ?
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbnova wrote:
Ive got a few bugspray carbs. My plan was to run dual bugsprays. Ive got the carbs and the manifolds already. Due to life, I just havent done anything with them.

I liked the idea of using a Holley. Being a musclecar fan, Ive got all the Holley tuning knowledge and a huge jet assortment. The bugspray uses standard Holley jets, that you can buy almost anywhere. To tune out the flat spot- if you have one, usually the accelerator pump squirter need to be enlarged.

awsome. If i do have a flatspot when i install it, do i simply buy a bigger pump squirter, or can it be drilled out like jets?

i actually have and extra trashed bugspray lying around somewhere, and i plan to use it for parts (or if i screw up something on the new one Laughing )
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Lawrence_0485
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd like to see some more input on this carb too. I'm running one (one of the few that are in good condition) on s/p 1835 with a W110 and i love it. I too have the flat spot but i'm working on it. I jetted my mains down from 47's to 45's and that has helped on the black smoke and really sooty plugs. I recently took the carb apart to clean it and the accelerator pump rubber ripped. I was not able to find another, so i has to JB weld it to the metal piece Mad Sad .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1974 we put a 200cfm bugspray on the 1300 in my '66 bug. It took a little bit to get it running right (had to solder up jets to get them small enough) but once we got it dialed in it ran great. I still have the Holley decal on my small tool box. Al
Bugsnstuff69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Bug Spray Reply with quote

I've used an upgraded Bugspray on a 1641 w/Tlll case and crank, stock dual port heads, a little bigger cam, 009 and merged exhaust.
I was very happy with the power and the money I saved by not going with dual carbs.
I used it in a slammed Super Bug, an A-Mod auto cross Dune Buggy, a Baja Bug and a 71 Wesfalia. Rebuilt this engine twice as a 1641, broke the stock crank (Tlll) in the van. It had alot of hard miles on it. Built a 1600W/ same carb, cam, dis., and such. Real solid runner. I put a 34 PIC3 on this engine when I sold it to a friend and then later traded back. Just dosen't have the same poop with the Solex.
It will be getting the Holley back on soon. Its going in my '68 Tll running gear equipped '66 Bug.
Bugs
cncwhiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugman,
If I were you, I would put this thread in the vintage performance forum. Most people in here will probably not know much about the bugspray. Some people in here wer not even born when those were being used a lot. They were a good carb back in the day and if they were crap they would not have been used. Some where in my dads garage down in LA are some of those carbs. I used them and after tweeking them they ran fine. If dual carbs were the best out there the factory would have ran them? I would like to find out more about using an O2 sensor for carb setup. Do you have any info?
Bugzilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be watching this thread--I've got one of those carbs on a DDS dual port manifold, and I'd like to put it on a baja. Thanks for having the courage to ask this, BugMan... BUGSPRAY LOVERS UNITE!! Twisted Evil

~T
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cncwhiz wrote:
Bugman,
If I were you, I would put this thread in the vintage performance forum. Most people in here will probably not know much about the bugspray. Some people in here wer not even born when those were being used a lot. They were a good carb back in the day and if they were crap they would not have been used. Some where in my dads garage down in LA are some of those carbs. I used them and after tweeking them they ran fine. If dual carbs were the best out there the factory would have ran them? I would like to find out more about using an O2 sensor for carb setup. Do you have any info?

Twins like they used on the type 3 and type 4?
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
cncwhiz wrote:
Bugman,

Twins like they used on the type 3 and type 4?

bingo

i had one of these carbs years ago altho i didnt use it for long cos it had 2 settings - idle and flat bickey even with the stock vac advance
main prob i found with them is that cast iron base is a great conductor so ices up like a mofo and the general height of the carb u need a very low profile air cleaner to clear the decklid
its like having a sky scraper in ur engine bay
also if it has a plenum style manifold chuck that in the bin use them only with seperate runner manifolds

cncwhiz, what do u wanna know about o2 sensors?
ive fitted a few of them to my bugs
the narrow band isnt really upto much for carb tuning
just gives u a rough idea on whats going on
to use it for carb tuning u really need a wide band but u start talking bigger $$ once u go that way
still no substitute for reading plugs tho
junior55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Buggin, you have stated your problems with the bugspray yet Holley themselves advocated the plenum manifold as I remember.
And plenty of manifold heat.
They said to more or less toss the single runner style in the bin....

Any body else remember the upgrade phase?
Maybe my brain needs an upgrade?
cncwhiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot the type 3. I think some later model busses too?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: