Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Green apple monster rebuild thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The learning curve has been pretty steep with this bus. Current set up-new holley 390cfm electric choke. Still running the mechanical fuel pump with the return. All is well!

My heat soak issue was that huge muffler with no shielding on it. I made up a nice stainless shield that covers the muffler and all my problems disappeared.

The starter was still a peice of crap. I heard it from other samba folks (fastmc) that the IMI starter was the only way to go on a conversion. My thinking that I'm only cranking 300cc's over what the stock starter was designed for was very flawed.

I went through 3 starters in 300miles, all autozone rebuilds..if that means much. I'd have to say the starter was marginal even in stock load. Putting anything above what vw designed it for is a huge mistake.

I now have an IMI 104 (091 trans starter) it was 215.00 but well worth the peice of mind. This thing has never started faster or more reliably. The starter was really too pretty to put under the bus.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that wild westerner paint came out really nice!! Congrats.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how that IMI works out, I've heard of some long-term failures with those the last couple of years.

No personal experience though -- I'm using an autostick starter with my GTI 1.8L swap (200mm clutch), and my buddy with a TDI swap used the TDI starter with an adapter from Westyventures...
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't use the autostick starter because the 091 just isn't compatable. It's starting great and really just looks like a nippondenso unit...simular to what's used on a caravan, other than the aluminum adaptor plate. I hope the thing lasts because it wasn't cheap. It starts quickly now. Just gotta get used to the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoooot noise it makes when cranking. kinda wierd.

The wild westerner theme really grows on you. There's no other vehicle in the world that could pull the color scheme off.

Hopefully others are inspired to keep the wild westerny awesomeness alive.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm adapting in another radiator that will reduce the number of adaptors used in the system.

This is the bellypan radiator system I devised. It spans the entire belly with a seven inch drop at the front for an air scoop. The radiator resides safely between the frame rails.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This image is the bottom detail, the two rails are set up to hold a twin fan set out of 2000-2004 dodge neon. Air naturally flows up between the frame rails creating a high pressure pocket that exits through the expanded metal holes cut in the belly pan. The fans are set to pull air through and do well enough when setting still. They do run quite a bit when parked.

I'm switching to a scirroco style dual pass radiator. This will put both inlet and outlet closer to the engne and eliminate some extra piping. In the end things will look more professional and leave less points of failure.

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures pictures pictures. I'm modifying the radiator pan to accept an a3 golf manual trans radiator. This radiator is physically smaller but being a dual pass radiator this puts both inlet and outlet back closer to the engine. This elimiates a few connections and cleans the mess up a bit.

^^^^new radiator^^^^
Dual pass unit should be more efficient

^^^^^holes cut for inlet and outlet pass throughs^^^^^^

^^^^^2000-2004 dodge neon fan set^^^^^
Free from a good neighbor so that's what I used.

^^^^Detail of engine cradle^^^^^^^
Pressure and return plumbing used as a stressed member in the engine cradle.

^^^^^Side shot of the pan^^^^^^^^^^^^
Shows low profile design leaving only the fans exposed to road debris damage. Radiator is fully protected and not visible when the pan is installed.

^^^^shot of air inlet as viewed from front towards back^^^^
The total drop from frame rail is 7 inches. This does not hinder ground clearance at all. The scoop section only extends as low as needed to catch ground air flow. Lower lip is a breakaway air dam, which may not be all that necessary.

I'm building a water to water heat exchanger that will more than make up for the lessened coolant capacity. I look to be able to toss a hose in whatever water source is nearby and be able to take a hot shower.

kruton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa!! Looks like a hazard mounted so low like that. Just gotta be extra careful when driving! The bus is looking great and the paint came out lookin sweet.

Florida Licensed Solar Contractor
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
zaakystyles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A man had that same color scheme on his bus, I liked it, never got to talk to him. Think he is a permanent night shifter at the mines. He got ride of it lately or moved though.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lower shock mounts are around an inch lower than the scoop so not much chance of grounding it. Eventually I want to raise it but until then I'll just keep it on the road. It has at least 2 more inches than my other vws so I'm not to concerned.

rhader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this bus! I will be doing the same thing to mine starting this winter! different engine though...
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the mechanical doing..and re-doing I've neglected to finish my interior. I finally got around to putting on the rear trim panel. I used #8 one inch stainless screws with matching aluminum escutcheon washers.

The speakers are just 4x6 pyles that bring my total count to 6. Four sony 6.5's (two pointing down from the headache rack, and two in the typical door locations) I think I'll put four more in to bring the total to 10.

These will mostly be useful when parked and the hatch is up.

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My donor bus provided a little extra blue green plaid from the upper bunk that I didn't use.

My wife really stepped up and covered the rear cardboards, made small rectangular pillows that fit around my spare tire cabinet, and reuholstered the jump seat with it. All in all I'm really happy with her work. I'm even happier with how much it cost me.

I finally installed my slider paneling, using the same #8 stainless one inch sheet metal screw with matching aluminum escutcheon washers.

My fridge was the most labor intensive part of the interior. A tree fell on the bus while the stove lid was up, this crushed the upper section of the fridge. I've been rebuilding the sides with 3/4 plywood and relaminating in the same black I've used everwhere else.

I've only used one 4x8 sheet of laminate thus far. I'm out of it now and really hoping it's not discontinued because I need another sheet to cover the fridge and table.

kruton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweeeeeeet! i love the plaid rear fabric placement!

Florida Licensed Solar Contractor
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got alot done today

Finished out my headache cabinet by trimming it with the same beaded paneling I used on the side walls. Picture framed a center section with more oak, the picture framed area has a rabbet to hide LED rope lighting. This gives a nice indirect glow and lights up the bus pretty well. The picture framed area? Thinking of doing a sky, or stars poster. Mirror would be too easy and also give too much of a 70's pimp van vibe.

I got the wires ran for the hatch 4x6 speakers. This placement works excellently and focuses more sound throughout the bus. From the drivers seat you can hear things much better than just those headache speakers alone.

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the outside protection equipment started. So far I have the 2" reciever centered and welded into the bumper

I'm going to incorporate tail/corner guards and a swing away tire carrier into this bumper so in the end it's going to be a hefty peice.

I'm fashioning side step nerf bars that plug into the jack points, at this point I just have some peices of sectioned 1x1 tube (narrowed to 3/4 to fit inside them) I'll post pics of that once I get through sorting that out.

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying different swing away carriers and there's nothing that quite fits the scale of a bus. My first attempt at adapting a s10 blazer peice was way off and not worth taking pictures of. In the end it has to be something pretty compact so not to detract from the aesthetics. I've moved off to electrics while I scratch my head on the bumper..

Recycle! Good electrics are out there in every scrapped ambulance.

This electrical box carried 15 linkable bosch relay receptacles and heavy duty bosch relays. There's fuse holders, a multiple battery isolater (up to four separate batteries can be isolated), and even a solid state strobe box (just in case you want the inside of your bus to have a rave vibe).
All this for the low price of FREE. I just have to give the sheet aluminum box back when I'm done.

I'm relocating all of the electrics to the interior plate I installed over the old spare tire hole.

I have this set up for redundancy, two ignition modules and regulators, I wanted to be able to simply plug in another item for quick road diagnosis in the event of a break down. Fuel pump, Ignition, Fan A, Fan B, Ambient lighting, and House lighting are the six relays. I may add more as time passes. There is a 3 position contacter switch that will be incorporated into the rear electrical panel, this switch has a neutral (normal opperation run from drivers seat), On 1 powers fuel, ignition, and a starter button so you can run the engine from the back. On 2 powers just the starter button. All of these items will be hidden under a panel in the bottom of my 74 style spare tire cabinet.

I finally broke down and cut a bigger hole to better access my engine.

I never wanted to cut the bus but this just makes things so much easier. My local bone yard has a 412 half rotten into the ground that should offer up a nice big engine hatch. I can finally adjust the holley and get this dialed in.

My carb is new, but I'm having issues with the accelerator pump check needle (item right under the squirters) sticking. Anyone ever had such an issue out of a 4bbl holley? Mine's a 8007 390cfm holley, I'm a little stuck on this one.

avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread and beautiful work.

You may have even inspired me to overcome my hesitance in cutting a hole in the top of my bus for a pop top. Maybe. Very Happy

Anywho, I'm in the midst of shoehorning a turbo diesel into my '71, so I appreciate all that you've done...thanks for documenting.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates (with pics?) Smile

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my pics are being deleted from the thread, thus making most of the words pointless. I can describe what I did all day but a picture is worth a thousand words. I have finished my rear control panel and I'm working on side tanks that will resemble belly pans. One side will hold water and the other gas...I'm hoping for@w9 40gallons of each.

I'd gladly continue on here but first I'd like to know why content is being deleted. Even purely bay related content has been erased.

sofakingcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell? thats weird Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: