Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Green apple monster rebuild thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine does get a little tight towards the top end. The only fitment issue was the air cleaner. Those pics of the engine rough in show the stock (as delivered in a mustang) weber progressive that sits atop an egr spacer. With that carb and spacer removed and a holley 2bbl installed I gain an extra inch of clearance. I have an offenhauser manifold that has a holley 390 4bbl but that thing looks to be creating even more fitment headaches than the 2bbl. Looks bitchin' but I may not be able to use it. Either way this should be a heck of a lot more fun to drive.

On the way-
in dash dvd player
overhead 15 inch screen
6 more cabin speakers (geared towards quality and depth)
water and oil press gauges.
plumbing, plumbing and more plumbing mixed with massive amounts of wiring

Between interior, exterior and mechanical there's plenty to do. The only thing I can guarantee is it'll be done one way or the other by june.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont be afraid to post them photos for us, hell I never even go to those other forums... I think its great, and so will you the day you need a defroster.. Smile
EvilWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my vair engine I am using the 4bbl 390cfm Holley. So, my filter setup should work well for you Smile

74 Bay being converted to 3.1L Corvair power and pop top Smile
Link --> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=345677
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a complete 74 westy to rob parts off of. It's complete and nice inside. This donor will provide a fridge/stove combo and a complete rear bench set (found it just after I wasted money building one). It also has a nice pair of front headrest seats. I'll be rebuilding the fronts because they have a few broken springs and mice have eaten all of the stuffing out of them. This bus even had a westy stool and the box that fits between the two front seats-Good stuff all around.

The engine is coming along well but my carb turned out to be a 600cfm. I'm leary of putting that on a 2300cc engine but will as I start running out of time.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

^^^looks pretty bitchin' if I do say so myself.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
fastmc25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:

The engine is coming along well but my carb turned out to be a 600cfm. I'm leary of putting that on a 2300cc engine but will as I start running out of time.

^^^looks pretty bitchin' if I do say so myself.

Hey Chazz79,

I used to build and race 2300 Ford motors for about 11 years..... the best overall carb for drivability on the 2300 is the 350cfm Holley 2bbl... The 500cfm Holley is also a good carb but better for racing instead of street.....

Progressive Webers work but performance suffers greatly.... the 5200 Motorcraft 2bbl found on most small Ford V8's is 450 - 500cfm depending on which model you have..... ... and very popular on the 2300 when jetted properly...

The 600 may be too much for a daily driver.....

I also have the 390cfm 4bbl Holley on my 2.8L...... very nice carb and very good mileage with it... Cool

Paul

1973 Type181 Kubelwagen (Thing 2 ) 2110cc
1971 Transporter (Pickle) 1914cc
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine) 1776cc
1973 Adventurewagen Baja Bus (Clyde) 3.4L
1970 Formula Vee Beetle 2276cc

I identify as: “A Pissed Old GI ”
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My offenhauser is a dual plane so it'd suck if I put a 2bbl adaptor on it. I would basically be limited to half sized intake runners. I may have to jet this down considerably to make it work. I have almost no exhaust backpressure so maybe the excessive cfm flow will compliment that well.
390cfm carbs are rough to find. I know the list # to look out for now in case I run across another but I think I can make due with what I have.

fastmc25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
My offenhauser is a dual plane so it'd suck if I put a 2bbl adaptor on it. I would basically be limited to half sized intake runners. I may have to jet this down considerably to make it work. I have almost no exhaust backpressure so maybe the excessive cfm flow will compliment that well.
390cfm carbs are rough to find. I know the list # to look out for now in case I run across another but I think I can make due with what I have.

Which Offenhauser intake do you have? any pics?

The Holley 390cfm mainly runs on 2 bbls also..... it has vacuum secondaries to open up when needed.... I don't even need them with my 2.8L for normal driving.... very rarely do i kick in the 4 bbls...

I found mine on Ebay but new ones are still available...
http://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley-390cfm-Vacuum-Secondary-4-bbl-Carburetor/743849/10002/-1

Paul

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the offenhauser in the pic. I'll see if I can find a pic of the runners so you can see what i'm talking about. The primarys feed the upper section of the runners and the lowers feed the secondarys. It's done this way to promote low end torque

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there it goes

fastmc25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I couldn't see your pics on the work computer.... Now i see it.. Cool That's a good one

Cool... The 390cfm - 600cfm would work great on that.... air velocity is pretty good with that intake and should work well.....

What compression ratio are you building it to..... and cam selection....? You also said your exhaust had no (minimum) backpressure..... ??? If i remember it was a stock ranger header and glasspack muffler...? That should still give you enough backpressure... Smile

Just a thought but usually big carbs and little backpressure aren't very daily driver friendly..... they mostly like high compression and wide open driving..... Very Happy like we like.... Cool

Just trying to help.... Smile pardon me for racking your brain .... I'm a motor head .... Cool

Paul

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my exhaust Just a huge muffler and a 180 bend I welded up. The header is a mid drop that came from the donor mustang. I have 9.1 compression ratio with a cam that is stock to the application (78 mustang). I'm sure I'll notice when I'm over fueling the thing. The 4bbl will be more eye candy then useful. I'll jet this down alot and toss a stiff spring in the vacuum secondary. I'll only need those when hitting the on ramps anyway.

The tips look pretty badassed and stick out right under the bumper.

fastmc25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, That will be plenty back pressure for sure... Cool I does look cool...

Keep us updated..... can't wait to see you driving it... Cool

Paul

EvilWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff. The 390 cfm is not hard to find. I found a lot that just needed rebuilding for cheap on ebay and such. If you have to go that way, dont sweat it.

74 Bay being converted to 3.1L Corvair power and pop top Smile
Link --> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=345677
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another day, another direction. I got my gauges in today so I thought I'd cut the dash up and add those in. I have an oil pressure, water temp, and volt gauge all electrical senders. The three 2 inch gauges fit nicely beneeth the radio ( I saw it done like this somewhere else on the samba) I'm glad I didn't go with anything larger because that would've looked a little odd. My add on body harness is getting pretty fat now that its containing speaker, a/v, gauge and house lighting wires. You'll see it dangling here and there in the pics. I also have the stereo intalled. This thing is great!!!! It's a walmart cheapy dvd player branded xo audio. It was only 100.00 and plays dvds, mp3's, cd's and basically all cd based media.

The screen on it is tiny. I think it's around 2x3 inches. It's fine for what I'd be doing going down the road-pushing play and controlling the big screen in the back. The second part of the a/v system is an xo branded 15 inch drop down monitor. This looks great and is sized perfect for viewing in the back of a bus. This only cost 120.00! Remember when you couldn't buy a cd player for less than 3 bills, I got the whole thing for 230.00 shipped to my door.

I normally don't roll aftermarket anything because the stuff attracts thieves. At the prices I paid hopefully a thief will know enough to be disgusted by the cheap-assed stuff I bought and not swipe it. This is mounted to the riviera top so when in the up position my kids can still watch it. I'll be on the ground floor with the wife where I won't need tv to keep me busy. I have a straight shot at the head unit from the westy bed to be able to controll whatever it's doing.

The bus came with a set of nice 3-way pioneers. Those will be moved to the rear hatch. I have a set of sony 4-way 6.5 inchers in the headache cabinet firing down. And 2 more of the same speakers in the door panels. Nothing fancy just something to put out a nice quality sound.

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A previous owner hacked the dash up a bit- any ideas on how to trim the radio out?

The project may seem to have no direction (or too many directions) but I look at any progress as another step the right way.

fastmc25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I got my gauges in today so I thought I'd cut the dash up and add those in. I have an oil pressure, water temp, and volt gauge all electrical senders. The three 2 inch gauges fit nicely beneeth the radio ( I saw it done like this somewhere else on the samba)

I think i've seen that too...... Laughing Great minds think alike... Cool

Any progress is progress........... anything you do now is done so keep at it... Lookin' good.. Very Happy

Paul

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Paul!

Soon enough I hope for my bus to be more comfortable than my home living room. I'm working on folding the ford engine harness into the vw stuff. I have most of my interior in the basement getting ready for a peel and relaminate.

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine is finished! I'm waiting for a stud kit from esslinger so I can connect this to my 6-rib trans. The clutch is a 200mm the same as type 1 engines used but It should survive because I'm pretty sure I won't be making anything more than 120hp.

I'm still trying to find the right air cleaner. The rear deck is @1 inch above the valve cover and doesn't allow for much room to do anything. I should have it running by the end of march.

The studs that came with the esslinger kit are for use with a type 1 trans. The bell depth of a 6rib is about 1/2 inch deeper and the studs just don't reach. It'll be a week or so before I can join the engine to the trans. I mocked up with 10x1.50 all thread but I want the proper hardened studs before tossing it in permanently.

fastmc25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good..... Very Happy

What Clutch Pressure Plate are you planning on running? I would recommend a stage 1 clutch if you can.... While you motor is only 120hp approx.. the bus weight and a 200mm flywheel can be a strain on a stock bug clutch setup... Confused
I had a stage 1 in Clyde and switched to a stage 2 cause i was slipping under heavy loads... with my 200 mm flywheel... Rolling Eyes

Y ou might look at the upper 80's Pontiac Grand Am or Fiero.. with the 2.5 engine..... they have throttle body injection and the air cleaner is low and small with a offset snorkle for the air filter...... If i rememeber correctly... I bet with a little engineering you can make it work on the Holley and fit under the deck .... Smile
I started to go that way but ended up just raising the deck in mine instead... My intake was way too tall... Cool

Keep us up to date.... Looking good.. Very Happy

Paul

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah it's a stock clutch made for a 71 and earlier bus. I think I'll add a tach somewhere so I can keep track of clutch slippage. I'm hoping that by driving conservatively it'll last a year or better. I'll change it later when I plan to start towing and upping the tires 235/75-15...maybe 31's if I can squeeze 'em in. For now, with only @200lbs more than stock and on 205/75/15's I don't think I'll be taxing it too much.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: