Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear seatbelt question
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: rear seatbelt question Reply with quote

I need to install rear lap/shoulder belts in my 65 notch so my 9-year old step daughter can be allowed to ride around with me. A couple of questions....

1) I would like vintage style belts if possible. Where do i get them?

2) where do I find the appropriate bolts to affix them to the 'C' pillar and to the pan under the back seat (where the removable plugs are)? Also, does anyone have a good method of installing the outboard under-seat mounting point where there is no factory hole already?

TIA

my wonderful loving supportive wife wrote:
You guys are dorks.

1965 1500-S Notchback --"Maggy"
1971 Type 2 Double Cab --"George"
TOOB member #2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy, does your car have the 2 outer corner anchor points? I'm only asking, because most of the early cars didn't get them. The other 2 points you do have use standard 1/2-20 threads that normally come with a seat belt kit from the many suppliers we normally use. You'll probably have to drill the corner mount hole, and use the large washer supplied in the kit as a backing plate. I'm not sure what style of belt you're looking for though, but I used the generic single, and lap styles offered from CIP, J-Bugs, and I think ISP. Since I changed all 4 belts, it kept them consistant in appearance. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Northstate Trev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Cali, if the vehicle has lapbelts only, it is legal for children to ride without booster seats... no need to correct placement of the shoulder belt on small bodies. My kids love it. they really think they're getting away with something!
Trev
72 Super Beetle Baja Champion SE
73 FI Squareback
59 Willys pick-up
38 Plymouth Coupe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have front lap belts now.... I have the mounting points about half-way up the C pillar and the mounting points near the tranny hump in the back, but was wondering about how to nicely install the outer rear mounts. A big washer/backing plate would work if I could do it cleanly and maybe tack weld it in.

Anybody with some good pics?

Also, as far as the legal issue, for me its more about safety than about 'getting away with something'. Either way, a wreck in the tin can that is my notch would be less than good if my 9 yr old was in the car. Confused

my wonderful loving supportive wife wrote:
You guys are dorks.

1965 1500-S Notchback --"Maggy"
1971 Type 2 Double Cab --"George"
TOOB member #2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DHanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Jimmy, does your car have the 2 outer corner anchor points? I'm only asking, because most of the early cars didn't get them. The other 2 points you do have use standard 1/2-20 threads that normally come with a seat belt kit from the many suppliers we normally use. You'll probably have to drill the corner mount hole, and use the large washer supplied in the kit as a backing plate. I'm not sure what style of belt you're looking for though, but I used the generic single, and lap styles offered from CIP, J-Bugs, and I think ISP. Since I changed all 4 belts, it kept them consistant in appearance. I hope this helps.

The standard bolt size for seat belt mountings in VW Type 3s is 7/16" - 20 which is 7/16" UNF.

For a lap/sash style belt in the rear, most S vehicles (64-65) came from the factory with the sash mounts in the C pillar. To fit the rear lap/sash requires a hole to be drilled 7/16" through the lower inner guard and a large plate washer used to prevent the bolt pulling out under a load situation. Depending on the size of the washer, you may have to beat a curve into it to suite the profile of the panel.

Hope that helps.

DH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHanna wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

The standard bolt size for seat belt mountings in VW Type 3s is 7/16" - 20 which is 7/16" UNF.

For a lap/sash style belt in the rear, most S vehicles (64-65) came from the factory with the sash mounts in the C pillar. To fit the rear lap/sash requires a hole to be drilled 7/16" through the lower inner guard and a large plate washer used to prevent the bolt pulling out under a load situation. Depending on the size of the washer, you may have to beat a curve into it to suite the profile of the panel.

Hope that helps.

DH

You're correct on the bolt size. I guess I'll stop responding at 5AM (I was sipping on that 1st cup of coffee before heading to work), as my brain just isn't working correctly at that time of day. Rolling Eyes But I did basically the same as above to my 71 Notch, after I rebuilt the 2 rear corners. On my 65, I used late model parts, tack welded in. But after doing the 71, I think it was easier to locate the "new" achor point that way (the rear seat cushion fits better too).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
DHanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm over those early mornings! Too many years of up early and into the traffic. Happy to stay home and play in the shed (with a VW of course!!!)

DH
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: