Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

That DAMNED choke cable winding stuck in chassis HELP!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with the choke cable in my '60 bus. Time and patience and a lot of Kroil helped. I even put an air compressor line and tried blowing some of the Kroil up in there. Another trick taught to me...take another piece of choke casing (the coiled wire) and push it up into the tube and turn it slowly with a drill attached. The idea isn't to drill out the line, but to catch (hook) the end of the broken cable in there with your piece, then pull slowly. If you can get the end out of the tube just a little, you can start to work it. I got mine out over the course of a few weeks, piece by little piece. Each time I got some of the wiring in the casing exposed, I'd pull as much as possible, then use my drill on it at slow speed and go forward and reverse and pulling to slowly dislodge. Mine broke at least 5-6 times, so I would re-hook it and pull. It'll come. Just takes time. You might want to try some of that really good Tequila John talked about in another thread Razz

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone tell me where to buy kroil LOCALLY? i can only find a website that sells it! hmmm. im in san diego, ca. any big box stores carry it?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never found it locally, always order it online. I get one spray can and one "liquid" can.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to get it online, if stores carried it they would never sell another can of WD40 or PB blaster, etc. EVER.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
You have to get it online, if stores carried it they would never sell another can of WD40 or PB blaster, etc. EVER.

LOL. So true.... (although WD-40 is the best "shop" hand cleaner I have found....)

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's locally? I know a store here in orange County that carries it.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: choke cable Reply with quote

i am not as patient or as anel as most, i guess. i just ran a newer choke cable in a black sheithing under all my carpet down the side of the center hump and into the engine compartment about a dozen years ago on my Zwitter and it looks great cause you can't see it, is out of the weather and still works fine. Just because an original design may suck, doesn't mean i will perpetuate that flaw.
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Where's locally? I know a store here in orange County that carries it.

I bought some in Santa Cruz.....

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....
JorgeDavidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem in left heather tube. I can see the point of the cable inside the heather control tower. If PDblaster doesn´t work, and WD40 is only useful as a hand soap... wich´s the best way to replace any chassis tube? Please, make a tutorial w/ pics and go Sticky!!! Wink
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a similar problem with the heater cable tube. A combination of RostOff, a length of old clutch cable and a drill worked wonders to clean out the tube.

Load the tube with a rust inhibitor of your choice (Kroil, PB Blaster, RostOff...) thread the clutch cable (or other similar stiff stranded wire) down the tube and attach the end in the drill (like a drill bit).

Operate the drill in whatever direction you need to to keep the cable turning in the direction it was wound so it frays just enough at the end to provide a wire wheel of sorts. Work the cable in and out while operating the drill a a low speed. Keep applying the rust inhibitor.

I did this with all the tubes on a 55 and 49 chassis we were restoring and it really did the trick. No more rusty stuff coming out the tubes, especially the fuel line.

The other thing I would recommend is to pressure test each line once they are open. Use a long snouted air line and something to block off the other end. Wouldn't want to find a rusted through fuel line.
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
We had a similar problem with the heater cable tube. A combination of RostOff, a length of old clutch cable and a drill worked wonders to clean out the tube.

Load the tube with a rust inhibitor of your choice (Kroil, PB Blaster, RostOff...) thread the clutch cable (or other similar stiff stranded wire) down the tube and attach the end in the drill (like a drill bit).

Operate the drill in whatever direction you need to to keep the cable turning in the direction it was wound so it frays just enough at the end to provide a wire wheel of sorts. Work the cable in and out while operating the drill a a low speed. Keep applying the rust inhibitor.

I did this with all the tubes on a 55 and 49 chassis we were restoring and it really did the trick. No more rusty stuff coming out the tubes, especially the fuel line.

The other thing I would recommend is to pressure test each line once they are open. Use a long snouted air line and something to block off the other end. Wouldn't want to find a rusted through fuel line.

HOW DID YOU SQUEEZE A CLUTCH CABLE IN TO THE FUEL LINE? the original fuel line is copper not metal as well, only neeed to worry about varnish blocking it
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
JorgeDavidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working today on my choke tube; no PDBlaster, no drills or dremel w/cables worked. I cut it 3 inc. before the rear outside, just under the gearshift coupler cover. When I saw the inside of tube, I thought in all the time I spent:
Removing it from the 3in piece of tube was a nightmare. The choke wrapping broke in pieces when I tried to pull. Finally it got out w/ a hammer and a rod (just imagine doin´ that in the whole tube!!!) The plastic that cover the wrapping is still compriming out the tube and rusty wrapping. Impossible job for any penetrating oil...
In short, I´ll don´t think twice: cleaning it (in my car) is not possible. The final solution is removing the old tube and don´t get mad. I was too greasy to take the camera to the garage, but tonight I´ll take some pics to show you what I´m talking about...

Ask: The choke cable is wrapped and coated... what if I put it inside the channel without any tube (just catched to accelerator or clutch tube)???
VWwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just zip tie it to the clutch tube. Get really long zip ties and tie it by the pedal assembly hole, shifter hole, and rear trans hole. I have put in new fuel lines this way also.
JorgeDavidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
You could just zip tie it to the clutch tube. Get really long zip ties and tie it by the pedal assembly hole, shifter hole, and rear trans hole. I have put in new fuel lines this way also.

Yes Jim, It´s just that I thought!!!... it´s easyer to weld a new tube, and functional. And forget rusted tubes. See mine:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the same pic (cut´s detail):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see, it´s impossible to remove two meters of this wrapping...
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guteandtite wrote:
the original fuel line is copper not metal as well, only neeed to worry about varnish blocking it

original is copper plated steel. try a magnet and it will stick to steel but not copper. copper is a metal,but is non-ferrous by the way. Shocked

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
JorgeDavidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
guteandtite wrote:
the original fuel line is copper not metal as well, only neeed to worry about varnish blocking it

original is copper plated steel. try a magnet and it will stick to steel but not copper. copper is a metal,but is non-ferrous by the way. Shocked

Cooper and steel (iron) are metal (Wiki: "Steel is an alloy consisting mostly of iron, with a carbon content between 0.2% and 2.14% by weight (C:110–10Fe), depending on grade. Carbon is the most cost-effective alloying material for iron, but various other alloying elements are used such as manganese, chromium, vanadium, and tungsten.) Wink
As cooper is easy to bend, so most fuel line replacements are cooper lines. That´s why a lot of VW owner´s think the OG fuel line is (was) cooper; included me, before read this thread Laughing.
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
If you don't have an end to grab onto you would need to replace the tube, which can be done but that is a day long job.
Jim

So, what's a good source for replacement tubes for the choke cable tube? I've soaked that thing for weeks with PB Blaster, and then Kroil, and can't get it to budge.
VWwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmaster.com

Search steel tubing.

Jim
Motorhead55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guteandtite wrote:
can anyone tell me where to buy kroil LOCALLY? i can only find a website that sells it! hmmm. im in san diego, ca. any big box stores carry it?

My NAPA auto parts store carries it. Check your local NAPA. They can probably order it. GOOD stuff!
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen people talk about replacing this tube, but I don't understand how it is done without taking apart the floorpan tunnel. Does anyone have any photos or explanation on how this is done? I've been soaking my cable for over a year now, and it still will not budge.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: