Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Titanium Valves & Copper Seats Install For Daily Driver
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type 4 Unleashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get a hold of Rick Kempt who has a Serdi Machine and finally got my seats cut.

I have been tossing around the idea of going dual plugs, so for now their siting waiting for me to make up my mind.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

R-Baja wrote:
Those intake ports are insane!

I only welded the entrance to the ports so I was able to open them up, then the ports are blended into the ports where it
was blended from the opposite side from the installation of the seats. I was told from some one who ports & flows a lot of
VW heads to have as much as I could of a straight shot to the seat for better flow into the chamber, I tried to acomplish that
and when I get them flowed I will find out if it worked.

And I still have to make up Stub Pipes before I have them flowed.
find the money to do it twice ?”

Ethics & Honor - Qualities That Seem To Have Been
Lost, Or More Likely, In Most Case's Never Had.
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautifull chamber Richard!

Very curieus how it will work out on the flow bench and on the dyno!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto!!
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me 3...
Type 4 Unleashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
Me 3...

I kinda put this project on hold last year, since my car hasn't been repaired yet.
The motor was pretty much ready to be assembled other than having another set of cyl's bored to 106.172mm, since I used
the original set on another motor. The motor was going to be 106.172mm - 4.180" x 82 = 2904cc, but sold that crank. So I
came across this Okrasa 80mm with 2.0 ltr jrl's Which makes it 2833cc now.
One other change I will be making is changing out the springs which will allow for a little extra clearance, other than that,
the heads are ready to assemble. I'll get some pics up of the heads finished in the next few weeks.

Then, last year I consolidate all my storages to one location to cut cost's, then I had to move.

And in one of the storages I had a long neglected project that I have decided to finally finish: 1967 Mercury Cougar XR7 GT
with a BB FE 390 that was parked with a rod knock. So over the years I've collected the parts for the 67 Cross Bolted 427
Side Oiler to go together.

Here's the block, that's been Decked & Squared, Line Honed, and the cyl's honed out to a final bore of 4.250" @ Costa Mesa R&D
pretty much ready to go:

The crank is a Forged 427 Nascar Piece with 2 extra counter weights off the center main intended to be used in the SOHC
Nascar Program, that never happened. Anyways the crank I sent to Performance Crankshaft in Detroit, MI to have
the leading counterweights bullnosed and the trailing edges knife edged, and the main grooves welded up. I have already
torqued the main bearings in place and had them measured, so I can have the crank mains ground to a specific size to give
me the running clearance I want, then the crank will be sent out to get Nitrided, then I'll finally get it..

So yes I back slid and went to the dark side of American Muscle... I am not going to go all outs, I will just limit myself to
around 500HP, I will be going with an old Factory 427 Sidewinder manifold, which is a Dual Plane manifold which to this day
still holds it's own, but for an extra 40 to 50 horses or more easy I could go the much newer Single Plane manifold design, But I
want to stay pretty much old school.

dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old .017 over trick Smile
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 4 Unleashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsrtfox wrote:
The old .017 over trick Smile

The bores gauged out @ 4.242", so it had some wear, and they were all very consistent, and .005" would of cleaned them up, but that's a custom piston size $$$, but 4.250" is pretty much a standard size now a days.

I currently have my eyes on a new set of JE's for $500 from a project that went a different direction, but their stroker pistons so their pin height will require a longer rod in order for them to work, so what I save in one area gets spent on another... Rolling Eyes

dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the odd ball bore size was how they kept it just a scosh under 7 liters. You found a damn good block to clean up at .017, standard big block Chevy size. Do you belong to the FE forum ?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be sure to check all oil gallys real good with pressure. check for any leeks,cracks. cracks in the gallys on those are kinda common and usualy not a hard fix with thinwall tubing.it's been a long time since I messed with one so i dont remember all the pituclars. make sure all internal gally plugs are in place,I dont remember if it had a redirection gally plug or not(maching opp that uses 1 gally for 2 things with a plug between to seperate them,usualy going to&from filter,if it;s been knocked out for cleaning & not replaced the oil will bypass the filter!!!)like I said I dont remember exzactly.also the cam bearings on those are very narrow,if possiable have them DFL coated & be sure they get oil,Ive seen some squashed totaly out,(I didnt tear the motor down or build it so Im not sure what was up with that one, but all other bearings were fine.) I had an old 2x4 buddybar intake(hollman moody) I bought for $15 in daytona o ftlauderdale years ago.but it's gone I gave it to a friend that had a 69 shelby gt500kr. good luck & be sure to put an aluminum intake on it. that cast iron intake will kill you.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, chevy piston& long chevy rod&some stroken to egt the journel smaller for the chevy rod.......big motor. it's easy to get 528ci out of the 429/460 motor with the 460 oe crank stroked&chevy rod, so it shouldent be hard on the fe either...hell im putting ford 4.6/5.4 (big bore)pistons in my vw.(mahle motorsports,from roushe's GTP program) parts are parts they dont know or care what there in. have fun& good luck.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

428 crank gives you a quick .200" stroke but I'm sure you know that...
Type 4 Unleashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a solid lifter block, so there are no lifter gallies, so the solid lifters are oiled by splash and what drains down from the heads. Oiling on these is simple, pump to filter to side galley which has oil pressure relief at the other end, so the side oiler galley feeds the mains which feed the cam, with 2 of the cam bearings, one each feeding the heads.

The 427 will putting out around 480 ft pds of torque, and a stroker would increase that. I had thought about going a stroker crank, but I had a hard time hooking up the 390 with around 375 HP, so the 427 with 500 HP isn't going to be any better. I am just building a motor to be low maintenance and dependable and 18mpg if I am lucky is a lot better than 8mpg... Shocked...and that's freeway driving, and 8mpg or less around town.

The manifold pictured is a factory aluminum manifold and is the one I am running, and designated the sidewinder because the carburetor pad is moved off center to the left.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add oilgally/lines to the lifter bores befor usage.I dont think Ive seen that one before....or memory is gone,it's been a long time since messing with one (in the 80's) but still check all gallys good, they did have issues on a lot of the 27 blocks.I dont remember the date codes or if they were all the same. did the pistons have the knurdles on them??? do you know what they are?? bumps on the top at each valve, persicely angled to close valves at high rpm without bending valves.....good thing good springs came along.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add oilgally/lines to the lifter bores befor usage.I dont think Ive seen that one before....or memory is gone,it's been a long time since messing with one (in the 80's) but still check all gallys good, they did have issues on a lot of the 27 blocks.I dont remember the date codes or if they were all the same. did the pistons have the knurdles on them??? do you know what they are?? bumps on the top at each valve, persicely angled to close valves at high rpm without bending valves.....good thing good springs came along.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, they were called bumper pistons. They were used on the early low profile set up. In 65 1/2 they went to the medium riser with domed pistons and no more bumpers. Production 427 blocks (installed at the factory)were solid lifter only.In 68 they tooled them for hydraulic to use in the Cougar GTE. After that all service blocks were hydraulic...
Type 4 Unleashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten some work done.

I am doing a spring change, it's basically the same spring except it's the nitrided version of the one pictured, the nitrided version gives 15 psi more seat pressure, bringing it from 105 to 120 psi and from 270 to 285 psi over the nose, but the reason for the change was the max lift was changed from .550" to .575", and was a better option than just increasing the installed height to increase the max lift. The durability of the springs are increased from being nitrided, which means they'll hold pressure longer than they would have, how ever long that is..

The 2 left retainers are PAC retainers, the one on the right was the set I had made but didn't turn out as I needed. The 2 PAC retainers are for the Nitrided springs, but I bought one of each to check fitment. I am going with the PAC Chro Moly retainers, they are only 2.4g heavier than the Tit retainer and don't have the wear issues of the Tit.

Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 4 Unleashed wrote:
I am going with the PAC Chro Moly retainers, they are only 2.4g heavier than the Tit retainer and don't have the wear issues of the Tit.

Do folks still have wear issues with titanium retainers? I'd expect PAC would use a superior alloy, compared to something that was sold in a blister-pack...

I don't think electrickery works that way
Type 4 Unleashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
Type 4 Unleashed wrote:
I am going with the PAC Chro Moly retainers, they are only 2.4g heavier than the Tit retainer and don't have the wear issues of the Tit.

Do folks still have wear issues with titanium retainers? I'd expect PAC would use a superior alloy, compared to something that was sold in a blister-pack...

Yes there are still wear issues, they get wear indentations from the springs, a fix is coatings, which are harder than the Tit, but end up costing as much or more than the retainers.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: