Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my car sounds like popcorn
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwblue1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: my car sounds like popcorn Reply with quote

so this past weekend i adjusted my valves at .006, set my timing 30 @ 3200rpm and its still a bastard to start when its cold and when i let out of the gas it sounds like its poppin pop corn(while in gear).....it didnt sound like this b4 and i dont remember it being this hard to start...i did my timing and valves using the the dimple notch on the outside of the pulley- pulley is a factory VW not sure what it came from.......it has a "v" notch on the inside (to the left of the dimple )and a dimple on the outside......everywhere i looked (well most) said the dimple is TDC......is this hard starting and back firing in my carbs or does it sound like i jacked sumpin up, this is my dd and it still goes down the road good but i look like a foo tryin to get my car started and pullin out of the parking lot w/my car spittin and poppin....any ideas

i have dual kads(no chokes)
009 dizzy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar setup.

I think your timing is wrong. Even if you can hold up a degree pulley to see about where the timing needs to be, it will make all the difference. I have always wanted to manufacture a bumpersticker style sticker that has degree markings on it to stick to the pulley,...

Now that my idea is about to be spread across the internet.. .

you should retorque your carbs and intakes, this is vital.

You may have a leaky exhaust system, but leave that for later.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: my car sounds like popcorn Reply with quote

vwblue1967 wrote:
so this past weekend i adjusted my valves at .006, set my timing 30 @ 3200rpm and its still a bastard to start when its cold and when i let out of the gas it sounds like its poppin pop corn(while in gear).....it didnt sound like this b4 and i dont remember it being this hard to start...i did my timing and valves using the the dimple notch on the outside of the pulley- pulley is a factory VW not sure what it came from.......it has a "v" notch on the inside (to the left of the dimple )and a dimple on the outside......everywhere i looked (well most) said the dimple is TDC......is this hard starting and back firing in my carbs or does it sound like i jacked sumpin up, this is my dd and it still goes down the road good but i look like a foo tryin to get my car started and pullin out of the parking lot w/my car spittin and poppin....any ideas

i have dual kads(no chokes)
009 dizzy

you do know that kadrons/solex 40/44eis idle on 2 cylinders? recheck your timimg and valve adjustment. have you ever put some oil on the felt wick that sits in middle of dist shaft under the rotor?

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to let the intakes warm up the Kads since the are chokeless. They will pop and sputter in cold temps until they are warmed up. You don't say what geographical location you are unless I missed that. 30 degree outside temp verses 70 degrees makes a big difference when starting these chokeless Kads. If using the 009, you seem to have the timing pretty close, something like 28-32 at max advance.
vwblue1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im n nc the past 2 mornings have been like 18 n 22 degrees.....once the car is warmed up it idles super.......(i did have a exhaust leak took care of the popcorn) but still has a little pop/sputter after its warmed up...........but why is it such a pain to get started once its warm its fires right up this cant be a prob w/all chokeless kads(can it?).....i mean maybe 10 cranks and still chokes off n sputters for a while till he gets good n hot

and no i have never put oil on that felt piece in my dizzy (honestly i didnt know there was a felt piece in there)......
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: