Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch slave bleeding tips?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Clutch slave bleeding tips? Reply with quote

Man, this thing is not easy to bleed. Since I was alone at first, I tried just pumping out the fluid... then I tried "gravity bleeding" ie. leaving the hose on the opened valve for a few hours, with the rear of the van higher a bit higher than the front. NOTHING!

So, after I had a buddy come over we did it the old fashioned way, and now I have enough pressure to disengage the clutch, but it still isn't how it was before. Ideas? I bled through a whole liter of brake fluid! All I can think of is to have my friend over again and bleed through another liter.

-Rob
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you need to bleed it? Was it not working, was something replaced?
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it should be hard at all!

It could be that you have a problem somewhere.

but to cover the basics, just in case you've overlooked something (I'm sure no expert, but i've done it a few times on my van and another car):

Be very careful not to let the fluid level fall too low. I keep the tank overfilled while I'm bleeding and only let it go down to the proper level when I'm almost done.

It's important to keep the bleeder screw opened just enough, if you're doing it by yourself (without a friend opening and closing the valve)--if it's too loose, air will be sucked back in.

I attach a piece of hose to the valve, loosen it, and then stick the other end of the hose in a cup of fluid, which is best kept raised, so the air will easily escape the tube while you pump it.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put on a new slave, that is why I am bleeding it. I came out one morning and no clutch pressure, and there was a big puddle of brake fluid under the trans... hmmmm... so I replaced the slave.

I think the problem may have been that initially I was in a big hurry and put no tube over the bleeder valve... I just let the fluid flow straight out and drip into a tupperware under the trans. Later I gave in and put a tube on it, and ran it into a cup. I have a MityVac, but that didn't seem to help.

-Rob
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:

I think the problem may have been that initially I was in a big hurry and put no tube over the bleeder valve... I just let the fluid flow straight out and drip into a tupperware under the trans. Later I gave in and put a tube on it, and ran it into a cup. I have a MityVac, but that didn't seem to help.

-Rob

Were you pumping the clutch without a tube on the bleeder valve? That would have sucked a lot of air into the system, and could be why you're still having problems.

If you set up a one-person bleeder system with a raised cup full of fluid, you shouldn't have to use much fluid at all (because it gets sucked back into the slave cyl) You could also raise the rear, which might help get the air out a little faster.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to drive it as-is. At first the clutch had very little pressure, but now that I've driven it awhile it feels like new? I don't know how driving it did this, but it works great and I don't ask questions.

-Rob
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get really frustrated, you can back bleed it. You will need a clean old fashion oil can and a peice of hose. Fill the can, pump fluid out the hose end, and connect the hose between the slave bleed valve. Open the valve and start easy pumps with the oil can. This will move any air up into resevoir along with the new fluid. You will need to be careful to not overflow the resevoir. A turkey baster will let you remove excess. Regards
vwKind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
If you get really frustrated, you can back bleed it. You will need a clean old fashion oil can and a peice of hose. Fill the can, pump fluid out the hose end, and connect the hose between the slave bleed valve. Open the valve and start easy pumps with the oil can. This will move any air up into resevoir along with the new fluid. You will need to be careful to not overflow the resevoir. A turkey baster will let you remove excess. Regards

That is exactly what I did and it worked like a champ Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: