Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Window Pop Out
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and germs, back from a 4 plus-year slumber, nexmuv presents: The Dead Rear Popout Thread!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Redantt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Pop Out Reply with quote

I have made a custom set of rear split window pop outs before that opened like a butterfly flap using large spoon hinges. Made with steel with inner and out rubber seals to mimic the exact way I thought VW would have made them if they were an option. Even cut down original sekurit widows to mimic the close to as real original effect as possible. Weld on tabs with merit tapped holes. Actually curious if anyone has seen them cause I never saw them on the car to the person I sold them to. Originally made as a gift for my buddies split and he sold it so I sold them instead. Curious if anyone has seen them. Be cool to see them on the car they ended up on. I had them displayed for sale a long time back at Kelly Park San Jose Ca. Only place a really ever showed them and then sold them to someone. Made a safari type III rear window about 15 years ago before people were doing rear window pop outs and safaris. It’s cool to see others making them now. Just completed a jig and safari window set up for my international metro harvester cause I’ve been branching out to other cars. Still don’t have the guts to make one for my Frid but I’ve been thinking about making the front window pop out for awhile now. It’s just an expensive mistake to bust an enormous window that’s not easiest replaceable. Such is the price of trying to be cool 😁.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Ladies and germs, back from another 4 plus-year slumber, Redantt presents: The Dead Rear Popout Thread!

Just kidding, but really what are the odds? Smile

But butterfly splits sound neat- have you checked the split bug forums and galleries? Maybe someone took a picture of your car at a show? I know whenever I'm at KP (every year) I only take photos of the abnormal- never the norm. I also never have to fight for the one camera angle that way. Cool

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Pop Out Reply with quote

Here you go. Absolutely the best on the market.

http://www.vwloosenuts.com/#our-story-1
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Pop Out Reply with quote

Has got to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of. The back of the car is a low pressure area, this is pretty much the only reason an air-cooled motor can actually work back there. When you open the rear window, that low pressure air flows into the car interior, instead of into the engine bay. The rear window has a much larger area than the cooling intake below it, even with the engine fan it'd be no competition, the window would get more air than the engine.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Pop Out Reply with quote

I would think it would draw in exhaust
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Pop Out Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I would think it would draw in exhaust

I tend to agree.

Without pulling a window to see- I'd bet the fumes would fill the car and be hard to completely vent. Once the cabin is "pressurized" it should have no effect on the engine cooling. There have been other creative ways folks have screwed with air vent flow- using scoops and herrod helpers for instance, but I'd bet there's no one sin worse than another. Smile

I think it's a just a cool way to stick your surfboard out and look for an old "local motion" sticker at a thrift store.

FU#5
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Pop Out Reply with quote

As long as the rear window was open, there would be a low pressure area above the cooling air intake. Not only that, but the glass would directly disrupt the path of cooling air to the engine, as intended by the car's designer.

Beyond that, it is sort of silly, as the pop out side windows already offer as much flow-through ventilation as one could need, without the risk of drawing in exhaust fumes, or extra engine noise.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Pop Out Reply with quote

Maybe they are not intended for use while driving... when parked the extra airflow would be welcome in warm climates.
Redantt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Pop Out Reply with quote

I never intended them to add any a usable function just for fun and show. I don’t know that it would harm the cooling aspect as it doesn’t on a convertible. Maybe you could ad a very decklid to compensate like the verts did. If the front windows are cracked or open it lets the air cruise right through. I’ve had issues on other cars with exhaust flipping back through on cars like my Willy’s wagon when I flip the back lid open but only cause it kicks the air off the top hatch so far and can tumble the wrap around air from the sides and bottom. I don’t know that the bug would do the same. Plus the distance from the side windo to the exhaust and back window to the exhaust isn’t much different. The windows also folded in like a butterfly direction in unlike a lot of back window safaris where I might think the windows would slice through the air rather than deflect it. But all in all I just made them cause I could and it was fun. My car is too low to be practical but it still is what it is.
Redantt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
hitest wrote:
Ladies and germs, back from another 4 plus-year slumber, Redantt presents: The Dead Rear Popout Thread!

But butterfly splits sound neat- have you checked the split bug forums and galleries? Maybe someone took a picture of your car at a show? I know whenever I'm at KP (every year) I only take photos of the abnormal- never the norm. I also never have to fight for the one camera angle that way. Cool

I’ve looked in the galleries and forums but this is the only area I’ve found anything. One day I may see them pop up somewhere. I’ve had a few of my car pop up that way and it’s neat. If not maybe I’ll just have to make another pair 😁.
n8mandy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Pop Out Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Has got to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of. The back of the car is a low pressure area, this is pretty much the only reason an air-cooled motor can actually work back there. When you open the rear window, that low pressure air flows into the car interior, instead of into the engine bay. The rear window has a much larger area than the cooling intake below it, even with the engine fan it'd be no competition, the window would get more air than the engine.

Umm, I just want a hatchback Bug for convenience.

If I do put a front safari on, I might crack it open for airflow, but I just bought my 63 last week, so this is a long way off.
rdejesus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redantt wrote:
hitest wrote:
hitest wrote:

I’ve looked in the galleries and forums but this is the only area I’ve found anything. One day I may see them pop up somewhere. I’ve had a few of my car pop up that way and it’s neat. If not maybe I’ll just have to make another pair 😁.

I have a 62 bug and I wanted to get the rear pop window to drive around with it open. Are there any negative effect on doing this under the heat of this city. Is there a review of someone who done this before?
Luff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Pop Out Reply with quote

I saw this on an episode of Counting Cars. Ryan the paint guru, knows the lady that owns it. She’s an auto buff and works in the industry as well. Someone in Las Vegas knows how to do it.
This is a sweet idea. The look is off the charts and the functionality is ridiculously cool. So don’t get hung up on driving around with the hatch up. It sure would be easy access to a hard to get to storage area and looks cool as hell closed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Pop Out Reply with quote

would be able to get 2" x 4"s home for the weekend projects.
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Pop Out Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Here you go. Absolutely the best on the market.

http://www.vwloosenuts.com/#our-story-1

that thing just needs a swamp cooler and some little dingle balls hanging from the rear window.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: