Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

V10 Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, another "I can stuff a big bad engine in a little bitty car" Rolling Eyes Seriously, since you brought it public then I'm going to render feedback --

[rant] Most car people in the US kill me. For some reason unknown to me, there is this thought that every car ever built has to have either a V6, V8, V10, and God knows what else SHOEHORNED under the hood.

Why?

The only reason is because, "Gee, V(enter number of cylinders here) engines are SO MUCH FREAKING FASTER AND MORE POWERFULLER THAN A STOCK VW ENGINE (yes, I said POWERFULLER because it's to emphasize how ludicrous these "modifications" are).

Rather than taking the time to research and build a better 4-cylinder (which has been done) we take a "different" approach. Find an old truck with a straight-6 in it? Oops, can't have that, it has to have more cylinders!!!! Rolling Eyes

What's worse is after these abortions are built, they spend about 3 years tops on the show circuit and then either end up in a corner of a warehouse where they deteriorate or else in some back field.

Rolling Eyes Yeah, have at it and make certain you charge $20 per head for the carny crowd to "Oooohh" and "Ahhhh".

[/rant]
NiccoHel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hate to agree with icy (just because Razz ), but it is rather pointless... i live in socal, unfortunately, and i can't stop smirking when i see the knucklehead next to me in a big-motored supercar. yeah, its cool to go fast and all, but if you're in a lambo and stuck in traffic on the 405, then, well, you're stuck in traffic.

i'd like to think that rebuilding a ghia to factory or for racing or something would bring this guy and his friends together just as much as this big project. it'd also save a classic car from being cut to pieces...

if you're going to go to the trouble of making a custom suspension setup, you might as well make the design for a more practical application so it can be marketed and sold. some company in fresno, ca is doing that for a-arm front suspension for type-1s. i'm thinking about giving them a call. not thinking about calling someone about stuffing a v10 into my car though.

ok, granted you are doing this for show, but if that is the case, why not use a fiberglass bodyshell so you could just pop the top to display your motor and suspension? if you have to cut the pan up because of the tunnel, why not just build a chassis? you have the equipment to build suspension systems and the like, so splurge on an english wheel and build a ghia body. no need to hack apart an original.

sorry about the lack of enthusiasm, but, for what its worth, best of luck to you on your build.
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
I'm a bit of a purist in that I'd like any ghia conversion project to, at a minimum, remain rear engined with a horizontally opposed engine. I can't tell from the description, but it sounds like you're going for a rear, as opposed to mid, engine configuration. That said, however, I'm curious and look forward to seeing updated on your progress. Smile

Actually, it is going front engine. As a purist that will most likely put a bad taste in your mouth. Thanks for the comment.
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cori93437 wrote:
"The cool thing is that allot of people in the performance industry that didnt even know what a "Ghia" was are taking notice. " - kjwalters

... sorry that I can't necessarily see that as a good thing. Even if you do a great job on your custom it will only inspire more hack jobs. Sad A hack job on any vintage car is a shame in my opinion. $.02 I happen to love Ghias so that feeling is amplified somewhat in this case. Wink

"My wife and I started to fund the build out of our person money as a way of drawing in the men and teens to fellowship and work together." - kjwalters

... I totally get how a couple of buddies, or even a small group, helping each other out building their cars is a cool bonding experience. I do not get how pulling together sponsers to pay for a shop to build a car inspires fellowship. Confused Maybe it's just me missing something there... but in my experience really feeling involved with a build entails getting your hands dirty. Maybe you're going to sell the car at some point and put all that cash back into the community and that's the draw??? Whatever... totally off topic really.

GL with your build and I respect your right to have at it.
Cori

Just thought you may like to know that a number of the sponsors are Christian owners, which is one of the reasons they came on board as sponsors, because they like the idea of the outreach. But when it comes down to it they are expecting to get promotional return for their contribution, because the car is unique. There are a number of men and teens form the church involved in the build getting there hands dirty (so to speak) welding, fabricating ect... Thanks allot for your comment.
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiccoHel wrote:
hate to agree with icy (just because Razz ), but it is rather pointless... i live in socal, unfortunately, and i can't stop smirking when i see the knucklehead next to me in a big-motored supercar. yeah, its cool to go fast and all, but if you're in a lambo and stuck in traffic on the 405, then, well, you're stuck in traffic.

i'd like to think that rebuilding a ghia to factory or for racing or something would bring this guy and his friends together just as much as this big project. it'd also save a classic car from being cut to pieces...

if you're going to go to the trouble of making a custom suspension setup, you might as well make the design for a more practical application so it can be marketed and sold. some company in fresno, ca is doing that for a-arm front suspension for type-1s. i'm thinking about giving them a call. not thinking about calling someone about stuffing a v10 into my car though.

ok, granted you are doing this for show, but if that is the case, why not use a fiberglass bodyshell so you could just pop the top to display your motor and suspension? if you have to cut the pan up because of the tunnel, why not just build a chassis? you have the equipment to build suspension systems and the like, so splurge on an english wheel and build a ghia body. no need to hack apart an original.

sorry about the lack of enthusiasm, but, for what its worth, best of luck to you on your build.

Hi, The car is having a complete custom chassis made. It has to to handle the 600 + hp and accommodate the T-56 trans, cage ect...The fact that it is going front engine also stated the need for the chassis. This really is a builders car. The limited space makes for many unique design and engineering innovations which will turn allot of heads, which is another reason we went with this car. The pans have been given to some VW people who can use them, as are all the parts we dont use from the cars. I know these parts are getting harder to find and would never simply throw them away. That said one of the cars we are using was destined for the scrap heap, and we saved it. Turn out to be an incredibly solid car and actually became the base for the project . We wanted a steel body because this is a DRIVE not a trailer queen. Show car only part time. Fiberglass was never a consideration for us. When it's done we wanted the car to drive and feel like it was made that way. Not a loud, tinny, sounding drag car, but a pro touring car capable of driving 1000 miles without issue and being pleasant and comfortable the whole time.
Thanks for the comments
execk2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Detroit iron in what was a salvageable Ghia and a '66 to boot.

www.mikeandjosee.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

execk2 wrote:
Rolling Eyes Detroit iron in what was a salvageable Ghia and a '66 to boot.

It's a 68, the first one was a 66 and is now a parts car. Just wanted to clarify for accuracy. Thanks
bt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klwalters I'm sure this ain't the response you thought you would get.

If you didnt know, there is a very vocal segment on the Samba thta if you do anything other than stock, you are somehow disrespecting that VW(and all VW's for that matter).In the world of the Samba there are only a few mods you can make without sambanistas impyling your an asshat. I'm sure there will be posts explaining what is acceptable and what ain't.

Just post your build pic and let it go.

Darn it!! I've said too much, now they are going to flame me!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Kelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have fun building that!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bt wrote:
klwalters I'm sure this ain't the response you thought you would get.

If you didnt know, there is a very vocal segment on the Samba thta if you do anything other than stock, you are somehow disrespecting that VW(and all VW's for that matter).In the world of the Samba there are only a few mods you can make without sambanistas impyling your an asshat. I'm sure there will be posts explaining what is acceptable and what ain't.

Just post your build pic and let it go.

Darn it!! I've said too much, now they are going to flame me!!!!

Well I expected some resistance, that o.k though. Thanks for the heads up it is much appreciated.
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say go for it,its only a 68 anyway......if it was a lowlight i might actually cringe but really your taking a car that may have ended up all taken apart or worse cut up in wait for an amatuer "restoration" that might never happen,the end result will be a car that runs and drives and makes you feel giddy....more power to ya
btrghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool build. I will look foward to this project. As far as your web site.................Bigger pictures it is hard to see the details.
flatfour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the weight of the V-10 motor? I'd like to see a race between that thing when finished and something like a pro turbo VW powered car.
Its all about horsepower to weight ratio and traction. With a heavy front mounted engine I'd bet handling would be a bear. I guess you built it for show though.
DSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
i say go for it,its only a 68 anyway......if it was a lowlight i might actually cringe but really your taking a car that may have ended up all taken apart or worse cut up in wait for an amatuer "restoration" that might never happen,the end result will be a car that runs and drives and makes you feel giddy....more power to ya

x2.

The baby dinosaur approves.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btrghia wrote:
Cool build. I will look foward to this project. As far as your web site.................Bigger pictures it is hard to see the details.

I will look into it and see what we can do. Thanks for the input.
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flatfour wrote:
What is the weight of the V-10 motor? I'd like to see a race between that thing when finished and something like a pro turbo VW powered car.
Its all about horsepower to weight ratio and traction. With a heavy front mounted engine I'd bet handling would be a bear. I guess you built it for show though.

The V10 weighs in at about 500lbs. We figure the whole car weighing around 2500lbs or so. With the bolt ons and tuning products and services from the sponsors we have it will make 625 (+ or -) hp and about 600 ft pounds of torque. The cool thing is it will not be as front heavy as some may think, or we first thought. Moving the engine back a few inches and stretching the wheel base by 2 inches helped allot. The car will be very drivable as the V10 is capable of making allot more HP. But our goal was to have a reliable Monster , not a show queen. Thanks for the comments.
shok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for it, good luck.
You might want to post in http://volksrods.com/ if you haven't already, they are more open to modifying these cars in all sorts of ways.

1971 Squareback parts car
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shok wrote:
I'm all for it, good luck.
You might want to post in http://volksrods.com/ if you haven't already, they are more open to modifying these cars in all sorts of ways.

Thanks allot I appreciate that.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's worse is after these abortions are built

..that's if they're actually completed at all. 99.8% of these dream projects are doomed to be shop clutter.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't abandon it and push it outside half finished and encrusted in bondo like this thing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-VW-Karmann-Ghi...dZViewItem

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 30

Jump to: